• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Question to those who have gone to F1's US Gran Prix at Circuit of the Americas.

Hey guys,

I wanted to just get some feedback from the locals who have attended a F1 gran prix at the Circuit of the Americas? I'm contemplating a road trip down to TX to see the F1 race but would like some feed back from fellow prime members.

I was thinking of getting main grandstand trackside seating but at 650+ it's kind of pricey vs the general admission which is like 200 I believe. Would you recommend to save the 450 and go with general admission or pay the extra for closer seating at the trackside seats? Is there much to do in the area during the race weekend? Not sure how lively things are in Texas that time of year?

Last edited:
Been to two of the three and have purchased tickets with a seat each time. Turn 12 grandstands (great location, horrible aluminum bleacher seats looking into the sun most of the day) and turn 15 premium grandstands. (also great location with better seats and air conditioned restrooms vs. porta johns)

This year I think I'm just going to go general as I hardly sat still the whole three days to even use the seat. For a first timer I'd recommend general and roam around to take it all in. There's always room to squeeze in anywhere there's a grass general section with a towel or small folding chair to sit on. You can get right on the fence for close action in most of these areas.

Tons to do as Austin rolls out the red carpet downtown with all the race festivities with plenty of live music and such. Being only 2 hours away and the fact that my sister lives there, it's hard to not go. This past year I ended up sitting next to a fellow NSX owner from Chicago. Money well spent either way you go.

I think I'll get myself one of these and head for the grass. http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/8550...rc=cse.google.0PSG510000&cvo_crid=55725345680

Last edited:
Been to two of the three and have purchased tickets with a seat each time. Turn 12 grandstands (great location, horrible aluminum bleacher seats looking into the sun most of the day) and turn 15 premium grandstands. (also great location with better seats and air conditioned restrooms vs. porta johns)

This year I think I'm just going to go general as I hardly sat still the whole three days to even use the seat. For a first timer I'd recommend general and roam around to take it all in. There's always room to squeeze in anywhere there's a grass general section with a towel or small folding chair to sit on. You can get right on the fence for close action in most of these areas.

Tons to do as Austin rolls out the red carpet downtown with all the race festivities with plenty of live music and such. Being only 2 hours away and the fact that my sister lives there, it's hard to not go. This past year I ended up sitting next to a fellow NSX owner from Chicago. Money well spent either way you go.

Great info!

Great info!

Thanks. I'll also add that parking isn't super cheap either at the track but it's convenient and offsite parking with shuttles is organized pretty well. Plan to stick around after the race or bolt for your car to escape the traffic nightmare. They have a free concert at the amphitheater after the race if you decide to stick around. Kid Rock played last year.

There are plenty of big screens to view and turn 12 seems to be where the race is won. At least by Hamilton the two years I've been.

We should all meet up at a certain turn at a certain time for an NSX meet and greet. Or maybe right smack in front of this stand. :biggrin:

Last edited:
I agree with KellyJoe2.0. Most people I know take chairs and a blanket and stake out an area in the general admission area.

Lot's to do in Austin but if you are planning to stay in a hotel, book early or plan on driving a bit. Room rates are absurd.

Norm

Attachments

• COTA1.jpg
    COTA1.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 139
I'll have to think about it but it sounds promising from what you have stated. Normally I just watch it on a TV but thinking it might be nice to see this in person for once in my life. Thank you KellyJoe2.0 and Norm for the feedback.

I'll have to think about it but it sounds promising from what you have stated. Normally I just watch it on a TV but thinking it might be nice to see this in person for once in my life. Thank you KellyJoe2.0 and Norm for the feedback.

Montreal is a great place to see a race and wouldn't be too bad of a drive for you. Seeing and hearing a race live is indeed something that every gearhead should experience at least once.

That's actually a really good idea too. And it seem ticket prices are cheaper as well which is a plus. I guess there is this option to consider.

I've been in the grand stands for the Lemans race and turn 12 for the F1 race. If you can find spot in the grass I think that's the best bet. What's great about having real seats, normally the food and bathrooms are nearby.

My friends that have gone many times and sat in various places have settled on general admission seating...but to get the grass spot of choice, get to the track very early.

Honestly, after 1 Lemans race and 1 F1 race, I like the Lemans experience e better. The F1 event puts on a show in all aspects. More people, concerts, food trucks. But you have free reign of the track at Lemans.

Last edited:
I've done both seats and gen admin. What stinks about gen admin is if you stake out a decent sight line, you can't leave because if you get up, you'll lose it (assuming no one in your party stays there). Very frustrating. Also, no video monitors or status boards. Main grandstand is nice but all you get to see is the main straightaway (and nice bathrooms). I'd recommend the stands near turn 9. You get a great view of the cars coming down the esses as well as them going down the back straight. Plus, no sun in the eyes.

Back