• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Regreasing gearshift mechanism

As I have the centre console off at the moment, I was considering regreasing the pivot points which is mentioned in the Service manual. This lubrication has probably not been done for 10 years. Currently the shifter moves fairly smoothly with the exception of getting the car into reverse shortly after startup.
I am wondering if this maintenance has been followed by and recommended by other owners on a more routine basis. Am I correct in assuming that the the gearshift mechanism requires disassembling in order to regrease it? If so, is this fairly straight forward?
Thanks

Last time I had my console off I looked and joints weren't dry at all. I think because of somewhat enclosed location and with right lube it stays wet for a long time. I also think you can lubricate joints without disassembling anything. I guess white lithium or similar would do

I used some bearing grease I had. No disassembly required. Just work it in there real good. It's pretty straight forward.

Certainly would not hurt, but I have never had to do this. In regard to your reverse, make sure you pump the clutch(pedal up, then press down just prior to engaging reverse), so that the reverse gear is actually spinning.

What happens if by chance you have the clutch pedal depressed for some time, everything in the trans comes to a stop, and that makes engagement notchy....

HTH,
LarryB

Back