• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

The 2015 Track Season Begins

We leave for COTA in 1 week and will be running for three days at the end of the month, its been crazy getting all the cars ready for the first event.

The group of guys I run with have all had a good winter to prep and upgrade their cars, me I added LED tail lights. Ha!

My buddy with the orange 2011 Z07 has upgraded to a 2015 Z06/Z07 so he will not be in any of my videos except for the passing shots. The other two Vipers are already faster than me w/610whp min.

Anyway TooBlueRacing will be off to a fun start in a few days, I plan to do a better job updating the content here and on the TooBlueRacing YouTube channel.

My other buddy Dave does all the editing and is quite talented here is the 2015 Track Teaser.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/QvC12M5VoFo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Dave

COTA 2015 2-27-2015 to 3-1-2015 MVP Track Time

Well the 2015 Track Season started off a little soggy. We landed Thursday morning and rushed to the track to unload the cars. We new it was going to be iffy weather wise but we are here so you make the best of it. We unloaded the cars into the garage and started getting ready for a three day COTA fest of track time.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/WPE7ptfqB7Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Four years with no changes in setup other than alignment:
My Car: 2004 NSX with Twin Turbo 6lb/400 whp, Tanabi springs over Bilstein Struts, Tarox BBK, Dali 1" sway front and OEM sway rear, NT01s 235f/275r, vented hood.

Friday morning the track looks a little damp and the high temp for the day is only 36* but we are here and ready to run. I have set a goal to beet last years personal best of a 2:36.53. Leave the morning drivers meeting at 7:50AM and on a second look the track is really quite damp and the air temps are cold. I head out and about 3 laps in the car is warmed up the tires feel like they are starting to work. I decide to push a little harder and run the back strait at full throttle. Exit turn 11 and get the car pointed strait put the hammer down and the car will not make any boost. Crap this is my issue in three years with the turbo system and I had just went over every piece of the system this winter prior to heading down to COTA. I hurry back to the pits on N/A Power and pull into the garage. Get out of the car and the drivers side marker light is popped out of the fender. Well that made it easy to diagnose. My charge pipe runs right by the marker light and one of the silicone hose couplers had worked itself loose of the pipe. Believe it or not that was really good news, it was an easy fix and after I removed the fender liner the charge pipe was reconnected, the clamp was tightened, and we were ready for Session 2.

2nd Session on Friday was still cool, not as damp, and for the most part the track was dry. The grip level was manageable after you got some heat into the tires. I used this session to heat the car up and shake down the car after a brief trackside repair. My boost was back and everything was back to normal. I was hitting 145 mph on the back strait and just under 7PSI of boost, PERFECT. I was surprised at the grip levels the NT-01s offered up in these conditions. Windy, cold and drying but the little Nittos were working fairly well. You could tell that they were struggling for grip. They did much better than I expected. Came into the hot pits check tire temps and pressures and made some final adjustments then back out for a few fast laps to the end of the session. I am running consistent 2:37.xx lap times with lots of traffic and managed a 2:36.84. So after I get back in the garage I start poring over the data and I start to look for more time.

3rd Session on Friday was at 1PM and still 36* with 100% cloud cover, the track is dry but cool. Slap on the GoPro and head out. I am about the sixth car in line at the pit out, put around scrubbing the tires to build up some heat and by the end of the esses the tires feel pretty good, Make my way around to start finish and start to hammer this lap. I am following Gregg my buddy with the brand new 2015 C7-Z06/Z07, I can tell he still does not have a tire under him yet and is struggling for grip. We both start to push and make it around in 2:36.68, then 2:36.35, then we hit traffic and he is able to get away from me. Really trafic and the fact that he finally got some heat in his tires meant he and his 650hp Vette was going to be leaving me for the rest of the session. So I finish out the session with a fast lap of a 2:36.35. I have meet my goal for the weekend after two real sessions. I start reviewing the data and realized my virtual best was a 2:34.11, BINGO new goal. Pull the GoPro video and data from the car and start to look for more time. Two seconds is a lot and should be easy to find some of it. I was loosing time in the turns 3-8, the esses, also in 13-17. I talked with Ray one of the Viper drivers there with us. Watched his video, watched mine and I think I found something to try. He is a great driver and a great resource when you get stuck, I know I can follow him or have him follow me and I will find some time. His personal best at COTA is a 2:20.xx. He was hoping to make it into the teens this weekend.

4th Session Gregg and I head out right behind Ray, we will let him pace us a bit and watch his line. My tires are ready before either of their Hoosiers come up to heat. I have no problem hanging the first few laps and we are running 2:35.xx after the warm up lap, Lap 2 2:335.86, Lap 3 2:35.49, Lap 4 2:35.89, Lap 5 2:34.42, Lap 6 we all get separated dealing with traffic and I can see Ray and Gregg disappearing into the turns ahead of me. After another two laps in traffic and not being able to get a gap I finally find some room to make another charge. Last lap of the session I run through the first sector timing I am .75 secs up on my fast time, keep pushing and by the second sector marker I am 1.12 secs up exit turn 18 and the checker flag is waving. NO, I dive for the pits and run around the paddock area to cool the car down before heading to the garage. Unless I would have blown 20 and the main straight I had it, I had found my time. As it turns out those two sectors times combined with another third sector time made my new Virtual Best Lap time a 2:33.16. I fuel the car and get ready to go at it in on Saturday. New goal 2:30.00. I grab the GoPro and laptop so I can dump off the video and get ready for Saturday. Get back from dinner and start to move the video from the GoPro to the laptop and the camera will not power up, no big deal dead batt. Charge the GoPro and go for the video and nothing is there. I already watched the 2nd and 3rd sessions at the track so I know the video was there. Slap in a new SD Card and test the camera, nothing there and the SD card is crashed. I reformatted the card and tried again and it did it again. So the GoPro is down and my video for the day is lost. Fortunately Gregg, Ray, and Mike are shooting so there are some videos with at least a glimpse of my car running at COTA. The first batch are up now and the rest will be up soon.
https://www.youtube.com/user/tooblueracing/videos

Saturday Morning comes, roll out of bed and hit the shower, I did not look out the window, I do not want to know what the conditions are. Get outside and it is raining but the temps are warming to a balmy 38*. Maybe it will dry up and we can get some runs in. Head to the drivers meeting and we go over the forecast and keep checking the radar, looks like a little dry spell this afternoon. We all decide not to go out the first two session as it was just too wet for the guys on slicks and the half worn NT-01s I was running did not have much tread left at all. I wait out lunch and 1PM comes around. I am going out, The track is wet but the rain has stopped and I can not stand it any more. I heat the car up, line up in the hot pits, and make my way on track. It was a lot wetter than Friday, no standing water but anything with paint on it was very slick. Stay off the curbing, build heat in the tires, take your time, It is not a race. I did three laps and the tires were starting to work. Lap 1 3:35.25, Lap 2 3:09.15, Lap 3 3:00.89, Lap 4 the rain returns by the time I get to turn 11 the track is a mess again, I head back into the pits. Session 4 at 3PM and the track was still very wet and the rain was still falling, I decide to stay in the garage.

Picture says it all.

Sunday and the weather looks to be much the same as Saturday, cold, windy and wet with a high of 43*. OK, New Goal make it into the 2:59's in the wet. Session 1 and the track is really WET, stay in garage. Session 2 the track is really really WET, Stay in the garage. Wait out lunch, guys are dropping like flies and packing up to go. Session 3, I am going out there is no dry line but the rain has stopped, Ray and I are the only two from our group that head out. He is on R6's and I was very worried he was not going to be able to even get around the track. We head up the big hill and turn into turn one. Ray slides completely sideways and I am looking at his drivers door as I make the turn. He saves the car gathers it up and heads down the hill towards turn 2. We are both taking are time and not taking any chances. Ray starts to move around off line looking for grip. I decide to stay on the dry line to see if there was any grip. By the third lap we had pulled ahead of the other five or six cars that decided to come out with us. I could feel my tires starting to get a little heat, I could push a little harder, Ray was just ahead and I could see he was starting to slide less. Lap 1 was a 3:46.68, Lap 2 3:20.05, Lap 3 3:12.71, Lap 4 3:11.05, Lap 5 3:08.13, Lap 6 3:08.27 and the sprinkles started to hit the windshield. Lap 7 Ray pulls into the pits and I stay out, 3:07.62. Lap 8 3:05.02 but I can not stay out for another lap the rain was just too much for me to feel safe. The last Session Ray and I head back in line, we are lined up in the front again and there is maybe three other cars that are going out. The track is wet, the sky is spitting and I really am having second thoughts about even going out. We hit the track, the tires are actually fairly good but the end of the out lap. I decide to push a little, Ray is right in front of me, on our first real lap that session we run a 3:07.25, 2nd lap a 3:05.49, 3rd lap a 3:02.59, 4th lap a 3:02.42, 5th lap and the rain starts to come again but I ran a 3:00.94, start the 6th lap and the sky just opens up. Ray heads to the pits I stay out to cool the car down then back to the pits.

So what did I learn, I had a great teacher to follow during the wet laps, and I learned more about the wet line and limited grip driving than I have ever learned on any other wet track. I know I will have a fresh set of full tread depth NT-01s or maybe another set of wets the next time I go to COTA or really any other track event that cost this much to not run. I learned that some of the guys I hang with at the track are actually tolerable for more than the usual hour and a half between session. I know that sitting in a garage for 8 hours is really boring. I know that it never rains in Austin two days in a row except for when I am there for a track day. I know that there is some really good BBQ in Austin, and I know that flying in to the track is way better than dragging a trailer down. Thanks to Chester at STL Motorsports for getting my car there and back in one piece.

Dave

Great write up Dave. Are you going to upgrade your couplings and switch to welded clamps like wiggins or accu

Well stop number two on the 2015 tour, NCM Motorsports Park in Bowling Green Kentucky. We were there late last year and the track was really green then being a brand new track the surface needed a little time to cure and even though it was only about 6 months since we were there last the track has come around nicely. Give it another 6 months and it should be ready for some really fast laps. The NT-01s would squeal like street tires in the turns, cry on the downshifts and chirp on brake applications, it has been a long time since I have had this much tire feedback on a track surface. The guys running R6s complained that they would growl at you through the entire lap.

The 3.2 mile 23 turn Grand Full is the track layout we ran and as the lap video I have attached shows it has a lot going on in the 3.2 mile lap. You have little time to relax and in a 20 min session you may get every corner correct but it is very hard to put them all together into a perfect lap. In this video I blow the braking zone at turn 6 but the rest is close. I had a passenger with me on this session and was running lap times in the 2:27.xx range once on my own and willing to push I was running 2.25.xx in traffic and 2:24.12 on a clean flyer. These are much faster numbers then last year but most if not all was the improvement in the track surface as it ages. I think that a fresh set of tires and a willingness to push hard and I have a 2:20.xx in me. In my run group was the usual suspects from the TooBlue Racing crowd based in St, Louis. Kenny, Ray, Dan, Frank, and Chuck were all present and putting down some serious lap times. Ray in his Viper ACR-X was pushing hard and turned out a 2:10.xx in traffic, he always had traffic since he was lapping 10-25 seconds faster than every other car there but one, that car was a F430 Challenge car in full race prep, air jacks and all. Such a beautiful machine and in the hands of a pro driver from Europe it was a missile running 2:09.xx laps in traffic on full race slicks.

I had a few fun sessions trading lap times with a Radical, a GT3RS, and a gaggle of GT-R's. The weather was absolutely perfect a welcome change from the wet weather rain out we had at COTA. I think that NCM will be the new home track for the crew from STL. Since Putnam Park is such a hard track on tires and NCM is only another hour or so away I would much rather run there and save some tire life on the track tires. By the way tire wear at NCM is much like COTA there is almost none, your tires come off track with a clean almost polished look, but make sure you stay off the rumble strips as a couple of guys had cords break on there slicks from hitting the rumbles as they are quite aggressive. If you get a chance to run NCM go have some fun. It is a very technical and formidable track but do it right and the feeling of accomplishment is quite high.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/-mshHCexd6o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Dave

Hopefully I will be there a week from now for the Corvette Bash!

It's a very do-able 7 hour drive one-way for me, and I'm looking forward to spending a lot of time on this track too.

Dave

Hopefully I will be there a week from now for the Corvette Bash!

If you are doing Bash on Thursday Friday, why not join Rezoom for Sat & Sunday or just add Sat and make it a 3 Day Deal.
http://www.rezoommotorsports.com/events.html

You will need the first day just to find the track, the second day to get some confidence and the the third day to play. It is a tough track to learn in a day or two. There is a lot going on with the track and the track surface. Watch my video and feel free to give me a call I will run through the track with you over the phone and you will be way ahead of the other first timers. I was actually giving the Rezoom weekend some thought so if you do decide to stay send me a PM and I may run down and join you for the weekend. NCM is only 4.5hrs from STL so its an easy haul for me.

Dave

Appreciate the offer Dave, but this will be in my 'vette. Due to its value and vintage, I'll just be putting around and not pushing it too hard.

Your video is very helpful though. Looks like a lot of fun. My Spring and Fall are pretty booked, but maybe I can make it there in the NSX for a few cool summer weekends.

Dave

Very nice Dave.
NCM Motorsports Park is quite the roller-coaster.
I would NOT want to go off with all that grass, LOL.

Very nice Dave.
NCM Motorsports Park is quite the roller-coaster.
I would NOT want to go off with all that grass, LOL.

There have already been a few guys off and bent the guardrails, it really is a nice flowing track but the driver has to be 110% engaged as where on some tracks a small mistake may cause you time here it will cause you cash. The video above I had a passenger with me and I was running at about 70%, several times running at the reduced pace I was in the wrong gear compared to when I was at full chat so I had an extra downshift to do. The 6spd and OEM gearing is not really suited to the track, maybe as I get faster here, but there are at lest three times on this track that I could go to 5th but choose to stay in 4th and float near 8k RPM to avoid another downshift at the next corner. If I had a sequential or one of those paddle shifting cars it would be real easy.

Several guys were popping Dramamine to avoid the motion sickness. Most riders were done after a few laps and giving the tap on the shoulder they were ready for the pits, but not the guy (Tony) riding with me for that session, he went out almost every session as a rider in the advanced and intermediate group on both days. Thats nearly 24 session over the weekend and he was nothing but giggles the entire weekend. He road with every one of the guys that came down from STL. I had the best time watching his reaction as he got out of each different car and driver combo. Some he would be laughing, some more serious, and others he would just get out and shake his head and walk away. The only thing he said when he got out of my car was "I did not expect that, that thing is quick". I did not have the heart to tell him I was about 3-4 sec a lap slower than my normal pace. When he got out of Ray's ACR-x he just took off his helmet and sat down then about four minutes later he said "What a machine".

Most of the track can be divided into smaller sets of corners with 5-8 being a very challenging group along with 18-23. It took me almost three sessions to figure 16 out. I kept trying to smooth the arc by coming in from track left and cutting back to the apex, I tried it from so many different turn in points but I found the fastest way through that corner due to the camber changes across the track is coming out of 15 drive straight to the apex of 16, turn right and roll in the gas. I was able to avoid the off camber part of the turn and keep the tires loaded and then on the gas.

If you ever make it to the midwest there are at least 5 tracks you must run. Road America, Road Atlanta, Mid Ohio, Barber, COTA, and now NCM.

Dave

Back