• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Sears Point/Sonoma Raceway March 7/8

Knowing they had little to no situational awareness, I was treading very lightly, not wanting to trade paint. This was the end of the session and the pressure was clearly taking its tole on him and his tires. That was the last 6min. of a 20min. session. There were 2 GT3's following him that I had to get through prior to this. The trailing GT3 was the only one that gave me a legit point-by and lifted. I had to wait patiantly for this guy and his buddy to make a mistake before I squeezed thru. None of them had any business running in the A group. Frankly, I don't know why they install mirrors on those cars cuz they clearly weren't using them.

Pretty sure that with your experience driving old school P-cars that you would be way faster than many of the folks driving GT3's these days. More than half of them drive the cars with PSM/TC on and let the car do what a driver would have to do with a car like the NSX or an old school P-car.

I have been around hot rods and racing my whole life but I never have done anything like this where I am actually in the drivers seat so all comments and suggestions are deemed highly credible and viable to my decision. Thank you.
If it makes any difference, I have never been in a car accident, know how to shift and use toe to heel, and I also know how to downshift and not use brakes. I hate traction control and hate granny tranny transmissions even more. I like to drive the car, not it drive me. Old school next= unadulterated driving bliss.
Pretty sure that with your experience driving old school P-cars that you would be way faster than many of the folks driving GT3's these days. More than half of them drive the cars with PSM/TC on and let the car do what a driver would have to do with a car like the NSX or an old school P-car.

- - - Updated - - -

I have been around hot rods and racing my whole life but I never have done anything like this where I am actually in the drivers seat so all comments and suggestions are deemed highly credible and viable to my decision. Thank you.
If it makes any difference, I have never been in a car accident, know how to shift and use toe to heel, and I also know how to downshift and not use brakes. I hate traction control and hate granny tranny transmissions even more. I like to drive the car, not it drive me. Old school nsx= unadulterated driving bliss.

Know Your Enemy

I spend a great deal of time stuck behind GT3's observing the car 'auto-correct' for the driver's shortcomings. As a recovering 911RSR pilot, I have a keen awareness for the car and its owner.

Traction Control, Stability Control, Launch Control, 4-wheel Steering, PDK shifting etc. etc. The GT3 is light years ahead of my old 3.5L twin plug, high butterfly injected 911RSR. The only driver aid I had was a racing Quaif differential and 13" wide slicks. Still, that car was a mighty handful at the limit. Or as Porsche like to say; "a drivers car". I really need to convert my old in-car videos to disc. It is hilarious watching me fighting and sawing at the wheel in every corner. New GT3's just aim & squirt. No drama, no talent required.

I have disconnected the TCS and ABS on my NSX. In its current configuration, it is the most balanced car I have ever driven and has no need for nannies or bandaids to mask the drivers full experience. Thats because Honda got it right and designed a well balanced sportscar with the engine in the correct place.

Rob, my car will be ready for pick up tomorrow. I have no finger nails left. Shad is awesome! He even re-tapped several stripped threads from my valve covers which I was well aware of. He went above and beyond. I will definitely post something this weekend giving him the prime cred he deserves. What an awesome guy to have modify our cars.
AJ.

I spend a great deal of time stuck behind GT3's observing the car 'auto-correct' for the driver's shortcomings. As a recovering 911RSR pilot, I have a keen awareness for the car and its owner.

Traction Control, Stability Control, Launch Control, 4-wheel Steering, PDK shifting etc. etc. The GT3 is light years ahead of my old 3.5L twin plug, high butterfly injected 911RSR. The only driver aid I had was a racing Quaif differential and 13" wide slicks. Still, that car was a mighty handful at the limit. Or as Porsche like to say; "a drivers car". I really need to convert my old in-car videos to disc. It is hilarious watching me fighting and sawing at the wheel in every corner. New GT3's just aim & squirt. No drama, no talent required.

I have disconnected the TCS and ABS on my NSX. In its current configuration, it is the most balanced car I have ever driven and has no need for nannies or bandaids to mask the drivers full experience. Thats because Honda got it right and designed a well balanced sportscar with the engine in the correct place.

Rob, my car will be ready for pick up tomorrow. I have no finger nails left. Shad is awesome! He even re-tapped several stripped threads from my valve covers which I was well aware of. He went above and beyond. I will definitely post something this weekend giving him the prime cred he deserves. What an awesome guy to have modify our cars.
AJ.
Happy for you AJ, should be a fun drive for you to Sac. Has Shad dyno-tuned it yet or is he doing that tomorrow?

Car dyno'd at 340 hp on 6 psi with fmu which I was being modest and thinking about 325. He even found a ground cable which was never connected by acura of concord during my clutch change a few years back. Never take your car there! He said afr is smooth and sound. All of my valves were adjusted as well as spool valve, cam seals, egr valve gasket, and head gaskets were changed. As well as an abs bleed as I did not have the tool. He really knows his stuff! Wow! What a great guy. I knew he had tough work ahead given the condition of the car when I bought it. Wait till you see the before and after engine pics. Pick up at 11am tomorrow.
Happy for you AJ, should be a fun drive for you to Sac. Has Shad dyno-tuned it yet or is he doing that tomorrow?

Car dyno'd at 340 hp on 6 psi with fmu which I was being modest and thinking about 325. He even found a ground cable which was never connected by acura of concord during my clutch change a few years back. Never take your car there! He said afr is smooth and sound. All of my valves were adjusted as well as spool valve, cam seals, egr valve gasket, and head gaskets were changed. As well as an abs bleed as I did not have the tool. He really knows his stuff! Wow! What a great guy. I knew he had tough work ahead given the condition of the car when I bought it. Wait till you see the before and after engine pics. Pick up at 11am tomorrow.
Nice! 90whp upgrade. Glad you did the HG's too. You really were listening :wink:

Hope you saved some money for suspension & brake upgrades cuz that should be your next priority.

Sorry, meant to say the valve cover gaskets. Head gaskets remain. But that is next as well as oil pan baffle, fic, and tuning.
Nice! 90whp upgrade. Glad you did the HG's too. You really were listening :wink:

Hope you saved some money for suspension & brake upgrades cuz that should be your next priority.

I also had him change all the vacuum tubing back to Oem as the car when purchased had red silicone tubing throughout. It also had like chrome wire loom covers which I removed most of. But yeah, it was a real Dali racing specialty from LA.So glad I found Shad's expertise on these forums.
Looking forward to hearing your initial driving impressions.

Not 1K2GO, but I can comment a bit.
You are probably better off attending a track event at Thunderhill or down south at Buttonwillow or Streets of Willows at WSIR, all 3 tracks have few walls and plenty of runoff areas.
[/QUOTE

I dont think Streets has ever been accused as having good run off areas before. Sure it may look adiquiet in one or two corners but the berms, boulders and trenches will get you before you ever get near a wall. :] WSIR is as bad if not worse becasue your going 2 1/2 times faster.
Good too see you giving the track a try Jinks, let me kow if you make it out to WSIR, Streets, chuckwalla or BW and ill likely be there myself.

You are probably better off attending a track event at Thunderhill or down south at Buttonwillow or Streets of Willows at WSIR, all 3 tracks have few walls and plenty of runoff areas.
[/QUOTE

I dont think Streets has ever been accused as having good run off areas before. Sure it may look adiquiet in one or two corners but the berms, boulders and trenches will get you before you ever get near a wall. :] WSIR is as bad if not worse becasue your going 2 1/2 times faster.
Good too see you giving the track a try Jinks, let me kow if you make it out to WSIR, Streets, chuckwalla or BW and ill likely be there myself.

Thanks Illwillem, it sure looks like fun and it will keep me from being arrested. I just had to try a top speed run the other day in the new ctsc. I was pretty amazed how quickly I reached about 150 mph till I backed off. Just too dangerous on highways.

Thanks Illwillem, it sure looks like fun and it will keep me from being arrested. I just had to try a top speed run the other day in the new ctsc. I was pretty amazed how quickly I reached about 150 mph till I backed off. Just too dangerous on highways.

Welcome, the GFCP has been lit. Do not inhale.

You think that is fun now try accelerate to 150, brake to 90, turn into fast corner, hit apex an accelerate out. Now do that another 13-14 times and you have a lap.

Dave

Welcome, the GFCP has been lit. Do not inhale.

You think that is fun now try accelerate to 150, brake to 90, turn into fast corner, hit apex an accelerate out. Now do that another 13-14 times and you have a lap.

Dave
Hahah, "respect".

- - - Updated - - -

Guys, what safety provisions other then a helmet would I need to do the HPDE track events?

Guys, what safety provisions other then a helmet would I need to do the HPDE track events?
Minimally, a Snell '05 helmet and your stock lap/shoulder belts are all they require. You will also be required to fill out a 'self' tech form, which is a visual inspection and release of liability.

Optional/Recommended safety equipment would include 5/6pt racing harnesses, mounted fire extinguisher, racing brake pads and Dot4 high temp brake fluid.

Most importantly is that you sign the release of liability. :wink:​

Id leave everything that came in the car as is and just show up with a well fitted helmet and I always recommend gloves. As far as the car safety devices leave in the 3pt belt and steering with airbag for now. If you decide to replace one or more of these things make sure to do them all together since they work as a safety system.

I get that it's a bad idea to lose the airbag without a harness but why would an airbag be a problem with a harness?

I have a quick connect aftermarket steering wheel. No air bags, regular seat belts. But I am only wanting to do the HPDE course in a novice group. I want to get a feel for the car not try to race people. So will those safety provisions be adequate enough for my goal?

I have a quick connect aftermarket steering wheel. No air bags, regular seat belts. But I am only wanting to do the HPDE course in a novice group. I want to get a feel for the car not try to race people. So will those safety provisions be adequate enough for my goal?
Yes, as long as your car passes your tech inspection. Make sure your tires are in optimal condition with plenty of tread and no flat spots.

Yes, as long as your car passes your tech inspection. Make sure your tires are in optimal condition with plenty of tread and no flat spots.
Tires have less than 1000 miles. Check. June 6 is a HPDE event right Rob or is it an actual event?

Registered. Thanks for the link Rob.
Sweet! Should be a hoot. Although no official instruction is allowed at Sears, I'd of course be happy to give you some track advise. As we get closer to the date, they will post a garage reservation link, If your interested. Usually around $50-60bucks and worth every penny to get cover, power and a good view of the track.

- - - Updated - - -

I want to get a feel for the car not try to race people.

That's a great plan, but it usually goes right out the window when a gaggle of Miatas blows by you... :tongue:

Reminds me of that old Mike Tyson quote: "Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth".

Sweet! Should be a hoot. Although no official instruction is allowed at Sears, I'd of course be happy to give you some track advise. As we get closer to the date, they will post a garage reservation link, If your interested. Usually around $50-60bucks and worth every penny to get cover, power and a good view of the track.

- - - Updated - - -

That's a great plan, but it usually goes right out the window when a gaggle of Miatas blows by you... :tongue:

Reminds me of that old Mike Tyson quote: "Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth".
I think you hit the nail on the head with that one.

Sadly track event organizers are not allowed to have instruction at Sonoma Raceway due to contractual issues with the company that offers driving/racing instruction on site at Sonoma.

Furthermore if this is going to be your first track event, Sonoma is not the best track to learn given that it is one of the most technical tracks on the West Coast. You are probably better off attending a track event at Thunderhill or down south at Buttonwillow or Streets of Willows at WSIR, all 3 tracks have few walls and plenty of runoff areas.

Then again you could be someone who has been go-karting or racing/tracking motorcycles so this might not apply to you.

I would agree that Sears Point isn't exactly a great first timer track. Log some seat time at the local other track like T-Hill where the repercussions for going off track are far less financially daunting than at Sears.

Great track and I like seeing NSX get out there and having a great time. I have been tracking with NASA for a decade and just got back from my event at Sears and passed my instructor's test so I am very excited to get out there and help anyone that shows up to have a great and safe time!

Back