• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Hugo's window upgrade or OEM regulator?

No news here, threads are decades in the making.
The nsx from purchase had slow windows that pop and bind.
Question is, what would be a better option? I am not opposed to buying new regulators because well, it's an nsx! Parts are expensive and I am no cheap ass. People who complain about costs should buy a subaru. But I was wondering just how much a difference a Hugo upgraded kit is compared to a brand new OEM unit? I have already had both regulators out and lubed them up like crazy with Honda urea grease which worked great for three times then back to normal.
I just worry that I would be better off going OEM. After market always bring headaches and new problems.

Hugo's kit improves the OEM design. The OEM design is flawed and will eventually develop the same issue again. Whether or not you'll still have your car when that time comes is another thing. I say get the Hugo kit, just make sure someone that has installed it helps you with the install since it's kind of tricky, or at least one part is. Me and another owner were scratching our heads even after following the directions and also watching the youtube video's. I still don't know what we did wrong the first time but afterwards we figured it out.

That's what is keeping me from just buying OEM. The headaches. My time is more precious then costs these days.

Just to put things in perspective, the OEM price for the regulator is : $719.07 x 2 = $1438.14

I've watched the video 10 times and I still don't get it, but when faced with that price tag, I'd probably look at the video an 11th time. :)

True. But as I stated previously. The headache with non OEM parts may very well be worth the acura price tag. Don't get me wrong, I think Hugo's kits are an excellent option. But I am just unsure on my needs and wants. So far, score 2 for OEM, score zero for Hugo kit for my needs. How long do OEM regulators last anyhow?

I'm planning to get the Hugo's kit once I find someone willing to assist me in getting it done since after watching the video and installation instruction, I'm more lost then ever. LOL! Anyway, from what I've been reading here at Prime. It seems the Hugo's kit is the way to go because of the alteration that was done to the original design of the unit. Like one of the post said, OEM will eventually go bad since it's the design flaw that's causing the issue. Hugo's kit fixed that issue hence IMHO that the Hugo's kit is the only way I would go. Also, it's a huge difference in price. Hugo's kit is $200 and OEM $1400, that mean I can afford the Hugo's kit to break 7 times. As far as what I've read, I haven't heard a Hugo's kit breakdown yet but I could be wrong. Good luck which ever way you go!

Frankie

get the kit apply new grease to the tracks and move on.

the real problem is the grease drys up from age then the lack of lube eats the motor and prongs inside the regulator which leads to the failure.

I ponied up got 2 brand new regulators and put the hugga kit on both I know for a fact my windows will be mint for 15+ years or intill the grease drys up again.

but the best option is this kit and new grease.

goodluck

I first tried cleaning and re-greasing the tracks. That worked for a while and they slowed down again. By that time, the Hugo kits were not available. So, I got nylon (?) glide blocks from OLDMNSX. The OEM rubber glides (not available from Acura, by the way) stick to the track, rather than slide. - one part of the OEM design flaw. The nylon glides were so slippery. I had a hard time holding the trolley still to re-attach the cable. Yet, there was only a marginal increase (< 10%) in window up/down times.

So, the Hugo kit reduces drag by replacing a rubbing block with a pulley on the OEM design. I would not get it w/o the glide blocks (I haven't checked, they may be a standard part of the Hugo kit now). The kit also contains bushings to rebuild the worn-out center of the gear on the motor. So OEM gets you the same design problems. Hugo kits to rebuild the units in your car give you OEM plus 3 fixes. Even if you purchase new OEM regulators, I'd add the Hugo pulley and Hugo or OLDMNSX glides for smoother operation.

One last caution - the trolley on the OEM design can get deformed due to the stress on it from the above-mentioned design issues. Sometimes the deformity is small enough that the new glide blocks compensate. Other times, you might need to scavenge one from somewhere. They are not available separately from Acura.

On all my above stated opinions, of course "your mileage may vary".

PS - I know the above because I'm the one who helped Sduff@composites "Hugo" his units.

Last edited:
I first tried cleaning and re-greasing the tracks. That worked for a while and they slowed down again. By that time, the Hugo kits were not available. So, I got nylon (?) glide blocks from OLDMNSX. The OEM rubber glides (not available from Acura, by the way) stick to the track, rather than slide. - one part of the OEM design flaw. The nylon glides were so slippery. I had a hard time holding the trolley still to re-attach the cable. Yet, there was only a marginal increase (< 10%) in window up/down times.

So, the Hugo kit reduces drag by replacing a rubbing block with a pulley on the OEM design. I would not get it w/o the glide blocks (I haven't checked, they may be a standard part of the Hugo kit now). The kit also contains bushings to rebuild the worn-out center of the gear on the motor. So OEM gets you the same design problems. Hugo kits to rebuild the units in your car give you OEM plus 3 fixes. Even if you purchase new OEM regulators, I'd add the Hugo pulley and Hugo or OLDMNSX glides for smoother operation.

One last caution - the trolley on the OEM design can get deformed due to the stress on it from the above-mentioned design issues. Sometimes the deformity is small enough that the new glide blocks compensate. Other times, you might need to scavenge one from somewhere. They are not available separately from Acura.

On all my above stated opinions, of course "your mileage may vary".

PS - I know the above because I'm the one who helped Sduff@composites "Hugo" his units.

Haha I wouldn't have been able to do it without you Frank!

get the kit apply new grease to the tracks and move on.

the real problem is the grease drys up from age then the lack of lube eats the motor and prongs inside the regulator which leads to the failure.

I ponied up got 2 brand new regulators and put the hugga kit on both I know for a fact my windows will be mint for 15+ years or intill the grease drys up again.

but the best option is this kit and new grease.

goodluck

This is not always true.

Depends on the issue. Kit replaces a nylon part that the cable run around. This is a source of friction and is replaced by a bearing.
One of my regulators also had a problem with how the cable feeds into the spool. The kit doesn't address this.
I had to replace my regulator.

I think the kit address the bulk of the problem. If let go than other things can also go bad as in my case.

Pulling the regulator is a PIA the first time you do it. Hugo makes it look easy! He has done hundreds.

Later,
Don

I have pulled mine several times. There are actually two holes down low on the door so when you roll down the window, a 10mm socket fits right in to the window clamp assembly. I tried the way Hugo did it with tape and a opened end wrench but the tape would not hold the window. Either way though is a pain. I think I am just gonna buy a regulator. 500 dollars is not bad for piece of mind.
But thanks for all the info. It helped me choose.

Up to you.

I'm in middle of installing the Hugbuga kit on a 24 years old window regulator which still works good but which is not used very much. The kit prevents some stress on the regulator, used or new, so it lives even longer. But installing the kit requires some basic skills.

What doesn't come with the kit are the rubber parts for the stoppers on the track end. My rubber was broken. :(

Frank and Shawn are right. Kaz discovered the rails themselves become warped over time and nothing will fix the problem except buying new rails. Kaz recommended blipping the switch down after closing the window to take the tension off the cables and rails.

http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/entry.php?1302-Final-Touch-02

So I have a barely driven 01 that I got a few years ago with 8000 miles on it. I have 15k miles now, and the windows are still working great.

Should I do something now before they start wearing out, or just wait until they become a problem?

I *hate* working on interior bits as there's always that panel clip that breaks or that rubber bit that starts tearing, ya know?

If it ain't broke, don't fix it I always say.

The drivers side window on my 02 is a little slower than my passenger window. The regulator appears fine and I may not see any problems for a few more years. But, the friction caused by the guides and rails will damage the regulator over time. I bought Hugo's kit as preventative maintenance. It should extend the life of the regulators. $200 now vs $1500 later sounds like a smart decision. Of course, if you don't drive your car or use the windows you will never wear out the regulators. And you'll get great gas mileage, need fewer oil changes, brake jobs etc. But where's the fun in that?

Back