• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What are you using to clean your suspension these days?

Sounds silly, but I would like to clean up my suspension components (some road grime on there and I like the aluminum looking clean.)

I thought some normal degreaser but was curious if that might harm the rubber/plastic parts.

Thoughts?

Sounds silly, but I would like to clean up my suspension components (some road grime on there and I like the aluminum looking clean.)

I thought some normal degreaser but was curious if that might harm the rubber/plastic parts.

Thoughts?
Simple green. Nothing more... For all other engine and aluminum bits.

Simple green. Nothing more... For all other engine and aluminum bits.

Sorry to disagree Jinks but Simple Green is not for aluminum.
The Simple Green website acknowledges the alkalinity of simple green can accelerate corrosion on aluminum.
Those of us who owned air cooled BMW motorcycles learned this the hard way.

Aluminum in contact with oxygen in the air forms a layer of aluminum oxide.
Unlike iron/steel once the aluminum oxide is formed it goes no further whereas with iron/steel the oxidation continues until it turns back into to iron ore.

You can clean the dirt off aluminum with any non alkaline cleaner or with solvent if it's undercoating or grease/oil.
After cleaning you can also remove the layer of aluminum oxide with polish or an abrasive revealing nice shiny aluminum underneath.
However once the bare aluminum is exposed to oxygen again it will form another dull layer of aluminum oxide.
The are some products out there that will coat the newly polished aluminum and keep it shiny for some time.
The aircraft detailing business has all these products

What products do you use JD? I'm all ears.

This thread made me do some digging and it seems like this might do the trick. Just worried it is a bit weak on grease. You can find a 1 gallon bottle of this on Amazon for $17.50

1900000113440.jpg

http://simplegreen.com/products/extreme-motorsports-cleaner-degreaser/

"Ideal for use on aluminum, chrome, titanium and other high–tech alloys, painted and gel–coated surfaces, anodized and electroplated parts, carbon fiber, a variety of metals, plastics, rubber and much more. It is effective for use on interior and exterior surfaces, automotive and marine–grade carpet, precision parts degreasing and the list goes on. From auto repair to restoration and rebuild shops, precision fabrication, metalworking and machining, Extreme Simple Green Motorsports Cleaner & Degreaser is economical, versatile and effective."

Last edited:
I use a waterless wash product, the same one I occasionally use on the exterior of the car, to clean the suspension. It's infused with Carnuba so that future dirt comes off easier and can be applied with a hand sprayer and wiped off with paper towels.
If you have anything besides simple dust and light road dirt on your suspension like oil/grease you need to address that issue before cleaning it.

Like this?

898af93e9ed1e35d3b855dd9ca455c29.jpg

I used an alloy cleaning product called "Ali". It's an acid based product. I cleaned these some time ago and haven't seen any oxidation appear since. I will apply some product to make them easy to keep clean in future.

Like this?

898af93e9ed1e35d3b855dd9ca455c29.jpg

I used an alloy cleaning product called "Ali". It's an acid based product. I cleaned these some time ago and haven't seen any oxidation appear since. I will apply some product to make them easy to keep clean in future.

Cambo, that looks excellent. Please share with us your product type or a link if you have one sir.

- - - Updated - - -

Cambo, that looks excellent. Please share with us your product type or a link if you have one sir.
Actually I just found it. It's an Australian company. May be hard to get into the states. Darn.

What products do you use JD? I'm all ears.

Jinks
Occasionally I've been motivated and scrubbed off the suspension members.
Used varsol to remove the factory undercoating overspray and oil drips from my sloppy oil filter removals.
Then soap, water and a brush.
After all that I'd take a trip and it would soon look pretty much the same as before I started.
So now I leave the lovely dull aluminum oxide alone knowing it's protecting the aluminum from further corrosion and carry on.

- - - Updated - - -

Actually I just found it. It's an Australian company. May be hard to get into the states. Darn.

Surely there's a commercial cleaning products company that does an alloy cleaner?

Do you have any friends that work at detailers or dealerships? I bought mine from a wholesaler that just sells car cleaning products in bulk.

Cheers

Ihave seen the cryogenic spray cleaner on the forums but never found a local shop who uses it.

- - - Updated - - -

Ihave seen the cryogenic spray cleaner on the forums but never found a local shop who uses it.
shown here.
www.cryodetail.com

i use simple green precision cleaner, developed for aircraft... i think its the same stuff as simple green motorsports but with a different label!

i use simple green precision cleaner, developed for aircraft... i think its the same stuff as simple green motorsports but with a different label!

And a jolly fine job it does too!

Thanks all. I may just climb under there with a scrub brush, some soap and water. If that fails, I will drive through one of those car washes that does under-carriage soaks. Kidding!

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I was wondering the same thing. I bought some "Extreme Simple Green Aircraft and Precision Cleaner" and have sprayed it on the engine compartments of both of my daily drivers without any apparent problems, but have yet to use it on either the NSX or S2000. Britlude, you (or anyone else...chime in!) use this on your NSX?

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I was wondering the same thing. I bought some "Extreme Simple Green Aircraft and Precision Cleaner" and have sprayed it on the engine compartments of both of my daily drivers without any apparent problems, but have yet to use it on either the NSX or S2000. Britlude, you (or anyone else...chime in!) use this on your NSX?

yes, used it loads of times cleaning up my suspension...

an even older thead... http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/showthread.php?9781-simple-green-extreme-cleaner

its a cleaner designed for use on aluminium, and the nsx is predominantly aluminium......

Last edited:
Back