• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Supercharged and Turbocharged NSX Owners

Hi Guys ,

I just pick up a 2003 NSX . Looking to either going supercharged or turbocharged on the stock engine . Wanted to see if any of the owners here with one would be kind enough to give me a ride in their NSX for me to see which one I would prefer to go with . I know your time is valued . So Im willing to offer any owners free tank of gas for theirs troubles . Of course I will meet you wherever you choose . Looking for owners in the Tri state area .

Thanks prime

Not sure you can really compare the two. It depends if you want a nsx that feels like it has a v8 with the same powerband and (sc) or one that feels like a turbo. Both are great.

Hopefully some owners here can help you out.

Last edited:
Not sure you can really compare the two. It depends if you want a nsx that feels like it has a v8 with the same powerband and (sc) or one that feels like a turbo. Both are great.

Hopefully some owners here can help you out.

thanks . I see you have a comptech Nsx in your sig . How do you like it so far ? I been trying to contact them about the kit with phone calls and email . But I get no response . Kind of turn off about the product when you can't reach anyone for support .

thanks . I see you have a comptech Nsx in your sig . How do you like it so far ? I been trying to contact them about the kit with phone calls and email . But I get no response . Kind of turn off about the product when you can't reach anyone for support .

I like it a lot. No messing with tuning etc. it works great all the time. The downside is you really can't make anymore power and you get used to it pretty quick.

As you noted, the service isn't what it used to be.

GTR889,

My car is not out of hibernation yet but when it does, I can give you a test ride. Send me your email and # and when I'm ready, I'll give you a ring.

frankie

If you want moderate and reliable performance go supercharged. Along with that Oem fit and finish.
If you want to constantly chase hp and while in that pursuit you blow motors, have very high heat, ect go turbo.
Id love a turbo NSx but after having turbo Hondas I know the ups and downs of it so I chose ctsc.

If you want moderate and reliable performance go supercharged. Along with that Oem fit and finish.
If you want to constantly chase hp and while in that pursuit you blow motors, have very high heat, ect go turbo.
Id love a turbo NSx but after having turbo Hondas I know the ups and downs of it so I chose ctsc.

Jinks, I and I'm sure several others will have to disagree with you. I wanted to go with a supercharger but I didn't want to lose my engine cover and storage for my targa top. Plus, I wanted my car to "look" stock. I did a lot of research on both FI options and came to the conclusion that the SOS twin turbo kit was the best choice from me.

But, to say that turbocharging is less reliable than ctsc simply isn't true. I know of several NSX owners who have had turbo kits with 10s of thousands of miles of trouble free driving. Those that get turbo kits or kits of questionable quality and don't have them installed professionally or properly and are chasing HP to the point that they are pushing the limits of the engine and drive train will certainly see problems. The same goes for ctsc kits as well. However, if the OP knows specifically what kind of HP performance parameters he wants and he chooses a high quality kit, whether it's turbo or ctsc, has it properly installed by a professional and is conservative in his tune, he should have excellent reliability.

On my car you have to look hard to see the turbo installation. The only thing different in my engine bay at first look is the lack of an airbox and the addition of a blow off valve. And even those are camouflaged a little. So I would have to that say your comment about turbo's lack of reliability and oem fit and finish is incorrect.

To the OP, you are doing exactly what I did. Try to get rides with owners of several turbo and ctsc kits to see how it feels for you. But, you should figure out exactly how you want your car to perform. Ctsc is a bit simpler to install on a stock engine and the cost is a bit less than the high quality turbo kits. However, the HP yields are less than turbo with a stock engine. If you choose turbo, you will find that most have a little lag compared to ctsc. I chose the SOS partly because it has the least lag IMO. You can do well with either FC option as long as you are conservative in your tune and have a professional installation. So choose what's best for you no matter what the rest of us say.

Attachments

• 20140828_175746.jpg
    20140828_175746.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 386
  • 20140904_105315.jpg
    20140904_105315.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 377
Jinks, I and I'm sure several others will have to disagree with you. I wanted to go with a supercharger but I didn't want to lose my engine cover and storage for my targa top. Plus, I wanted my car to "look" stock. I did a lot of research on both FI options and came to the conclusion that the SOS twin turbo kit was the best choice from me.

But, to say that turbocharging is less reliable than ctsc simply isn't true. I know of several NSX owners who have had turbo kits with 10s of thousands of miles of trouble free driving. Those that get turbo kits or kits of questionable quality and don't have them installed professionally or properly and are chasing HP to the point that they are pushing the limits of the engine and drive train will certainly see problems. The same goes for ctsc kits as well. However, if the OP knows specifically what kind of HP performance parameters he wants and he chooses a high quality kit, whether it's turbo or ctsc, has it properly installed by a professional and is conservative in his tune, he should have excellent reliability.

On my car you have to look hard to see the turbo installation. The only thing different in my engine bay at first look is the lack of an airbox and the addition of a blow off valve. And even those are camouflaged a little. So I would have to that say your comment about turbo's lack of reliability and oem fit and finish is incorrect.

To the OP, you are doing exactly what I did. Try to get rides with owners of several turbo and ctsc kits to see how it feels for you. But, you should figure out exactly how you want your car to perform. Ctsc is a bit simpler to install on a stock engine and the cost is a bit less than the high quality turbo kits. However, the HP yields are less than turbo with a stock engine. If you choose turbo, you will find that most have a little lag compared to ctsc. I chose the SOS partly because it has the least lag IMO. You can do well with either FC option as long as you are conservative in your tune and have a professional installation. So choose what's best for you no matter what the rest of us say.

Thanks for for the input . Only thing I worry about the turbo kits is the emission thing . Since I live in Ny . Don't get me wrong I love turbo cars .My other ride is a alpha 12 GTR . I'm debating right now if it's worth it for me to deal with the hassle again . With the GTR I have to swap back injectors and tune every 2 years to pass . But it works . So how do you deal with emission inspection?

I agree with you totally on the sos turbo kit. I guess I should have specified such. The only reason why I did not buy the sos kit is from the carb board in my state.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for for the input . Only thing I worry about the turbo kits is the emission thing . Since I live in Ny . Don't get me wrong I love turbo cars .My other ride is a alpha 12 GTR . I'm debating right now if it's worth it for me to deal with the hassle again . With the GTR I have to swap back injectors and tune every 2 years to pass . But it works . So how do you deal with emission inspection?

Lostbuckeye is in Texas, there are zero emission restrictions there. How hard is NY on emissions?

We are fortunate depending how you look at it on our emission standards though I don't expect that to last for long. I know there have to be some Turbo cars in NY. Hopefully you can find one of these to get a ride in and find out how they deal with emissions. Good luck either way.

For power guys owning a NSX is a exercise in restraint. The drive train was designed with 210 lb feet in mind. That is to say, it is not a car that you can just throw tons of engine at and it will not complain. Around here 600wheel is considered a lot and that would feel slow compared to your other car. Three options as I see it.

1. CTSC, 400ish wheel - Keeps the same HP and TQ curve as the NA car but with more grunt. This keeps the "pure" NSX driving experience IMHO.
2. Low boost Turbo, 420ish wheel - Turbos are more "fun" as they keep building power to redline versus a positive displacement blower. However, the power is not as linear so it is a different driving experience on back roads.
3. High boost turbo, 600ish or more - I have had rides in high boost cars and they are amazing. The chassis can handle it but the drivetrain takes a beating. The car is no longer "balanced" as you can't use full throttle on twisty roads. The most fun option but also the most non-turn key.

I would pick your HP goal before deciding on what to buy.

Something to keep in mind is that a Supercharged NSX (especially one that are CARB legal) will make ur NSX more sell-able in California should u elect to sell ur NSX down the line and the buyer is in California.

It will save the trouble of pulling the blower off.

If u need to pull the blower off u can sell separately to a market that is more receptive.

I know you're looking for a ride and I may not be answering your question directly but here's my $0.02 (not that you asked for it)

One thing about the NSX that makes it very special is the throttle response and control and how it communicates with the chassis. For example, here's a real-world scenario and not some track rat testimonial, but imagine yourself on a fwy on-ramp. Once you get your car's suspension is dialed-in you will learn the joys of throttle steering and managing the weight transfer from front to rear with mild and deliberate throttle inputs when you're going a lot faster than you realized. Slightly more throttle you induce understeer mid-turn. Let off the throttle a bit and the car starts to rotate. It's an amazing feeling of control. Now imagine you're on that throttle and all of the sudden boost creeps in with you LEAST expect it. You'll probably oversteer it and wonder wtf just happened. Most turbos on the NSX i've driven are this way.

I love turbos. They build tons of torque and hp but i'd rather have a PD blower or keep it NA with short gears than go with a turbo. I'd love to be proven wrong since I know turbo technology has come a long way. I still prefer the CTSC or a fully build NA motor.

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm more leaning towards the CTSC . With that in mind , Are they still in business? Its seem to me calling them and leaving a message doesn't get me a return call . Even emailing them too . Last person I spoke with was Nate back in November . Still trying to get in touch with someone there. Is there a special number to call?:confused:

My car is at the shop getting an SOS supercharger installed right now. With tuning, I should get it back in a week or two. It's a '95 with headers and exhaust. If you're still undecided by mid-April, I'd be happy to meet with you for a ride. I live about 25 min from the city. Happy shopping!
Ed

Yes they are still in business. My car is sitting at Shad's right now with a brand new kit on his bench. I shopped around for the lowest price with the intent of him installing it. The lowest I found for a 1991 ctsc was on nopi.com for I think 8700 without tax. One call to Shad and he matched the cost by giving me the kit at 8200 with tax which equalled the same as on nopi. You will also have to wait for a build time. Shad is doors down from ct and he advised me that there was a kit that someone backed out of while being built. Like 9 days later my new kit was in his shop all bubble wrapped with care and lazer film.Call the man @ driving ambition. He is world class when dealing with performance cars as is sos.
Thanks for the advice guys. I'm more leaning towards the CTSC . With that in mind , Are they still in business? Its seem to me calling them and leaving a message doesn't get me a return call . Even emailing them too . Last person I spoke with was Nate back in November . Still trying to get in touch with someone there. Is there a special number to call?:confused:

Given CT's responsiveness in recent months, I wouldn't get locked into them. Shad may be one of the few people who gets their attention. And I personally think a non-tuned boost setup is a recipe for disaster, having just rebuilt my engine and switched to a piggyback on the CTSC.

Given CT's responsiveness in recent months, I wouldn't get locked into them. Shad may be one of the few people who gets their attention. And I personally think a non-tuned boost setup is a recipe for disaster, having just rebuilt my engine and switched to a piggyback on the CTSC.
Did it fail on the track?

Nope, no track driving with this car. I had replaced the bypass hose and cleaned the injectors. The fuel pump started to die so I replaced that too. I strongly advocate for replacing the fueling system in a SC car. I suspect that the dying fuel pump was a significant part of my issue. Hard to say though.

I have a "factory" supercharged car and a factory turbo car. I love them both. I decided to supercharge the NSX and I am very happy with my lo boost plug and play CTSC system...but I was not looking for benchmark #s /hp. I was looking to up the driving experience of this scalpel of a car and I ended up with a very nice (very sharp) knife! :)
The whine of the supercharger plus the high rpm makes the car sound great from the drivers position.

Thanks for for the input . Only thing I worry about the turbo kits is the emission thing . Since I live in Ny . Don't get me wrong I love turbo cars .My other ride is a alpha 12 GTR . I'm debating right now if it's worth it for me to deal with the hassle again . With the GTR I have to swap back injectors and tune every 2 years to pass . But it works . So how do you deal with emission inspection?[/QUOTE

Not to go off topic...but how do you like your Alpha 12. I have been thinking about getting a GTR but am really only interested in one of the Alpha models.

Back