• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New NSX Snubbed By Chris Harris During Geneva Auto Show

Is Chris Harris' bias is showing through here?

In this two-part video review of the Geneva auto show, Harris highlights the new Civic Type R (with the NSX in the background) as well as the new Ferrari 488 GTB and the new McLaren 675 LT, but does not even mention the NSX. He even says he is looking forward to a head to head comparison, between the Ferrari and the Mclaren as if the NSX does not even exist.

Unbelievable. It seems Honda has to earn its street cred, all over.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7ns3XEkpsc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBPk4NdtkJQ

Is Chris Harris' bias is showing through here?

In this two-part video review of the Geneva auto show, Harris highlights the new Civic Type R (with the NSX in the background) as well as the new Ferrari 488 GTB and the new McLaren 675 LT, but does not even mention the NSX. He even says he is looking forward to a head to head comparison, between the Ferrari and the Mclaren as if the NSX does not even exist.

Unbelievable. It seems Honda has to earn its street cred, all over.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7ns3XEkpsc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBPk4NdtkJQ

Hmm... Why is this such a big deal?

Chris Harris gets early access to some vehicles like the 918, early access to the 991GT3, MP4-12C, P1, etc, so he writes/talks about them prior to the vehicles been available for sale.

He has been banned by Ferrari, and then reinstated as a reviewer of their vehicles. He is currently blacklisted by Lamborghini.

Maybe Chris would talk about the NSX2.0 if Honda/Acura actually took their time and allowed early access to their prototype, same goes for the Civic Type R. You reap what you sow IMHO.

It's ok. If the NSX 2.0 is as good as it promises to be…he'll have to take a serious look at it.

Maybe he doesn't make note of it b/c he doesn't think he'll be able to drift it around e-v-e-r-y corner like e-v-e-r-y review he does.

in all honestly, I'm more interested in the 488 and 675 myself.

and after looking at the R8 on film, I have to say it looks a lot better than it did in some of the photos...

Ok, seriously, WHO is Chris Harris....

Yes, I have probably seen a few clips of him on Youtube, but that doesn't mean I would take his word on any car that I might be interested in.

And I very much hope that people who are going to buy a 100 +K car do their homework.

On a personal level, I'd like to think I make my own choices.
Otherwise I wouldn't be driving a NSX now would I :) :) :)

I don't need anyone's review to help me decide if I'm going to spend $150k+ on a car.

Agreed. Not sure why people are so insecure that they need constant reassurances from so-called experts. If you like a car, buy it. If not, buy something else.

IMO he's one of the best if not the best automotive journalist out there.

He is a much better driver than most journalists and I tend to agree on his reviews of the dynamics of various cars that I've also driven.

Last edited:
I think his interviews serve more purpose for entertainment and social value. If the NSX were to get featured then of course it would make "NSX" more of a household name or closer to it. That would be the only perk IMO. There would be minimal sales increase, some but not much.

Yeah I like what he puts out and what he did show on that clip was good, man there some nice cars coming out what a great time to be a car nut.

Agreed. Not sure why people are so insecure that they need constant reassurances from so-called experts. If you like a car, buy it. If not, buy something else.

Well, the obvious reason, which is the justification for virtually all automotive media, is that the reviewers have a certain knowledge and POV that the car buying public doesn't have. Some reviewers are actually much better at communicating the essence of a car and all of it's pros and cons than others and Chris Harris is one of those guys. And he's much more frank and genuine than others: if a car has a major fault, he talks about it.

I enjoy his reviews as he's one of the only journalists that has a tangible passion for cars and the ability to relate it at level above 6th grade english. Ignition for Motor Trend does a pretty good job as well.

Well... It is really hard to talk/review something that you can not drive. Let's face it, this car, no matter what Honda/Acura says is STILL under development. That is why we still see pictures of a camouflaged 2.0 driving around testing. Honda/Acura bowed to the pressure to show a "Production" ready vehicle before the car is really done.

I for one can not wait for the new car! It looks great and if they keep upping the power then all the better.

BTW I really like Chris Harris' reviews.

I think the key factor here is that at the end of the day, it is still a Honda. Unless you own a high performance honda such as the nsx, then everything else in the high performance world becomes law. His ability to not focus on a car that just may prove the world of supercars over once again just shows his immaturity and lack of knowledge. But even if the new nsx gets its ass handed to it, I'm cool. It is and always will be an entry level supercar from Japan.

until there is a real car he can thrash it doesn't exist.

Umm, the contention wasn't that he didn't review the car. It was that he didn't give cover it during the Geneva Auto Show.

Umm, the contention wasn't that he didn't review the car. It was that he didn't give cover it during the Geneva Auto Show.

But why is that such an issue? It just seems that some people here are taking this personally. It makes no difference if he doesn't cover it, since we all know about the car.

Also just to add a bit it's not like the car has changed much from the 2014 show to the 2015 show and it's not like we got that much new information about it either. I'm going to guess it was lack of content that made him skip over it. It would be like hey look the "new NSX... nothing really new to share... moving on".

Last edited:
But why is that such an issue? It just seems that some people here are taking this personally. It makes no difference if he doesn't cover it, since we all know about the car.

Sure, it makes a difference. It's one of the reasons why manufacturers exhibit at these type of events in the first place and why exhibitions give journalists free or discounted attendance as press passes. And we don't know all about the car. There are bits of interesting information being uncovered all the time and these types of events are reviews are when those details get exposed.

Surely, the above is reasonable. I agree that some take it too personally and maybe they're a little paranoid. But they're not paranoid if it's true. ;)

Also just to add a bit it's not like the car has changed much from the 2014 show to the 2015 show and it's not like we got that much new information about it either. I'm going to guess it was lack of content that made him skip over it. It would be like hey look the "new NSX... nothing really new to share... moving on".
Only that the 2015 car is the actual production car!
But seriously, those quick takes of various "important" cars were so brief and random, it's very possible the NSX was mobbed and they couldn't get a good shot or the shot they got had technical issues. Harris loved the 918 and for 1/4 the price I'm sure he's going to like the NSX also!

I think it would make a difference if his videos averaged millions of views like many other Youtubers or funny videos that circulate. He makes great video and they are very personal, but they usually cap off in the few hundreds of thousand views, which is rather meager for Youtube/Social Media.

The NSX was mobbed in Geneva indeed - but the reason i guess he didnt talk about it was no one can test drive it yet, i had to do a search on Youtube to find about him (totally unknown to me before) and from what i see he's all about testing cars on the race track is he ? He'll certainly talk about it when it's available...

Also, the car was unveiled at the NAIAS only a couple of months earlier, so nothing new to report. There is no point in covering the same car that already got a lot of coverage earlier. No new information was released with the Geneva showing, so really what was CH supposed to talk about?

Also, the car was unveiled at the NAIAS only a couple of months earlier, so nothing new to report. There is no point in covering the same car that already got a lot of coverage earlier. No new information was released with the Geneva showing, so really what was CH supposed to talk about?

Exactly.

The manufacturers are usually the ones that reach out to him when they have something cooking.

- - - Updated - - -

I think it would make a difference if his videos averaged millions of views like many other Youtubers or funny videos that circulate. He makes great video and they are very personal, but they usually cap off in the few hundreds of thousand views, which is rather meager for Youtube/Social Media.

Hmm... 20 videos x 200,000 views per video is still 4 millions views.

Hmm... 20 videos x 200,000 views per video is still 4 millions views.

There are people on Youtube who average millions of view per video. Motor Trend has many specialized clips that breaks millions view for the car review ones or versus videos.

Perhaps one day he could have a much larger audience, but at 200K views per video, he's just making a dent, even if his vids are great.

There are people on Youtube who average millions of view per video. Motor Trend has many specialized clips that breaks millions view for the car review ones or versus videos.

Perhaps one day he could have a much larger audience, but at 200K views per video, he's just making a dent, even if his vids are great.

I guess it comes down to who watches those videos, MT attracts a general audience, CH attracts a subset of that audience that is probably more inclined to actually purchase the cars that he reviews. He used to be part of the evo Magazine crew, that particular magazine caters more towards sports cars in general compared to regular road cars.

Many pistonheads members in the UK and rennlisters in the US have met CH in person at the track, so he is well known in the Porsche community thus the high numbers of views on his P-car videos.

IMHO there is a reason why Audi/ BMW/Ferrari/Jaguar/McLaren/Mercedes/Porsche/etc invites CH for their launch events as well as previews of their new cars. For been an individual with limited resources he sure gets invited quite a lot :)

There is a difference between marketing and strategic marketing.

Back