• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

McLaren 540 competition for the NSX

The new McLaren 570 will be priced at 180K, a little high to be direct competition for the NSX, but close. The 540C will be right at or under the the 150K mark of the NSX. Looks wise the McLaren may have the NSX beat., performance will be determined in the next few months. Great time to be shopping for a mid engine super car!

180k / 155k = 1,16

570S vs NSX 2.0

16% difference is small and some potential customer would prefer to wait and save this little extra to afford the Mc Laren if the new NSX do not crush it on the performance departement ...

540 vs NSX 2.0

Similar price and performance will end up in chosing the one that makes your heart beat faster ...

If the 540c looks like the 570s, surely the nsx beats both in the looks department at least in my opinion.

I spoke to some of the McLaren folks at the show, one of them said the 540c would be sold here but everywhere else I've read that it's only for the Chinese market (like the 625). I haven't seen the 540c mentioned in any US press materials so my guess is we won't be getting it, at least not right away.

I do think the 570S will still compare favorably to the NSX on price, especially when you factor in that the carbon ceramic brakes are standard on the 570S. That will probably be a $10k option on the NSX.

In person I like the looks of the NSX better. The 570S is a great looking car in profile, but I don't like the headlights and the rear is kind of a mess. The open rear decklid also looks a bit odd. It's designed so that airflow over the rear can cool the engine and reduce the size of required radiators but it looks a bit ungainly to me.

Either way it's awesome to have choicews.

The 570S will come in (3) models, per current release info: Coupe (unveiled), GT (hatchback-style), Spider (power-top). Possibly special-editions and/or LT version downstream.

I haven't heard anything about a North American 540S. Though the 570S will start at ~$180k MSRP, it'll likely be as-equipped near/over $200k.

Obviously, design/style comes down to personal preference. With the forthcoming 2nd-gen R8, NSX-v2.0, 570S, it's an interesting time in that market-segment.

Last edited:
Kind of disappointing that exterior features = grey or carbon fiber. Bleh! This carbon fiber madness needs to pass. I want a white car with a nice red streak through it or something fun like that rather than just carbon, carbon, carbon everywhere...

TTw837.jpg

Kind of disappointing that exterior features = grey or carbon fiber. Bleh! This carbon fiber madness needs to pass. I want a white car with a nice red streak through it or something fun like that rather than just carbon, carbon, carbon everywhere...

The 570S still just looks like a 12C with a newer nose and tail.

Way too much similar models of McLaren in a small time frame. They shoot themselves in the foot. They need to diversify way more.

I try to imagine a McLaren dealer to sell a new or used MP4 in the showroom with all the new models on the market. Or a buyer to sell his new car after 1 year: what would he get from the dealer? 50% or more less than he paid? Shocking!

Last edited:
McLaren will have the NSX beat on looks and those doors for sure.

Performance... we will see, but my guess is that the node goes to the NSX with it's SH-AWD.

Resell value and reliability as well as number of Stealerships nationwide that can provide service, etc. - Advantage is NSX.

So at the end of the day ...... what's more ideal for most people.... probably the NSX.

McLaren will have the NSX beat on looks and those doors for sure.

Performance... we will see, but my guess is that the node goes to the NSX with it's SH-AWD.

Resell value and reliability as well as number of Stealerships nationwide that can provide service, etc. - Advantage is NSX.

So at the end of the day ...... what's more ideal for most people.... probably the NSX.

I tend to agree with you. Although, performance-wise, I think (hope) the NSX is actually between the 650 and P1. If this is the case, the NSX wins...especially given the availability of local service (at least for me) for the NSX vs. McLaren. I'm a McLaren fan, but without service here in MN, I'm not a buyer...

I don't get the whole mclaren revolution going on. The cars are not great looking, and from my experience don't appear well developed or put together. The fact that they dropped the MP4 so quickly before warranties expired gives me no faith in the future values of any of their products outside the P1. Incidentally sit in a P1 and you'll feel hugely short changed for your money. It feels very much like a lot car. The 918 on the other hand is as polished as a 911 turbo. I hope they raise their game but it's irrelevant to me as conventional powertrains are already on the back foot when lived up against the nsx.

i also have to reiterate what I said above, that 570 is seriously UGLY.

I tend to agree with you. Although, performance-wise, I think (hope) the NSX is actually between the 650 and P1. If this is the case, the NSX wins...especially given the availability of local service (at least for me) for the NSX vs. McLaren. I'm a McLaren fan, but without service here in MN, I'm not a buyer...

If you want to enjoy an Euro exotic here in the states you will need to move and live along the coast with good weather, major metro, or some combination.

I've driven the 650S. Amazing car, but very $$$. 570S looks much worse than 650S or 12C IMO and doesn't have the special suspension. If I were in the market to spend that kind of dough, the competition would be between new NSX and used 12C...which will probably be same price by the time the NSX is actually available.

I am a big fan of the 12c because it reminds me of what an NSX would look like if it was properly evolved. But the 570 in my opinion is hideous. I've always stated that I'm not a big fan of the new NSX's styling, but it is way more pleasing to the eye than that monstrosity from McLaren. The 650s has the same lame Kia front end look. Their new cars look feminine. Looks are subjective, but for 180k, the 570 doesn't stir me. I was hoping the 570 would be a model that would be distinctly different and muscular like the 675 Long Tail, because it is projected to be the best seller due to the lower cost and direct Porsche 911 competition, but even McLaren wants a family resemblance in its lineup. Even though I live in a big city like Boston, the closest dealership to me is in Connecticut. That alone steers me away from McLaren. The 2014 12c Spider is on top of the list for my next car, so I am hoping for a Boston dealership.

Saw the orange demo 570S at McLaren Newport Beach yesterday and its slightly wider than the 650/12C and the windshield is bigger, 2wipers, interior is roomier, the door opens more straight up, the sill is narrower, the tub is lower for easier in-e-gress, lots of options for carbon pieces from M$O, ceramic brake is std, its more daily friendly than the 12C, all fix aero and a flat bottom.
Was told the release date will be close to Thxgivin/X'mas and the 540s is not for the US market. I think it looks better than the white 650S they had there.

Was told the whole rear bumper cover will be made "paper-thin" alum using a new manufacturing technique. sound like stretch forming Ti-sheets in aerospace for the nacelle but in much more complex shape. No fancy electro/hydraulic dampers to bring the cost down so one piece ARB as it. :wink:

A typical classy McLaren event w/ complimentary gifts in exchange for email info, of course the orangey P1 stole the show and was told it rides like a rock.

Last edited:
In McLaren-world, this is how they see the "competition"...

570S
911 Turbo S
R8 V10-Plus

540C
911 Turbo
R8 V10

650S
458 Italia
Huracan

675LT
458 Speciale

P1
LaF

I agree. Now, where do think the NSX realistically fits?
Interestingly, none of the McLaren surveys/e-forms/etc have ever listed the NSX-v2.0, whether for reference or comparative shopping. Even ultra-luxo' GTs get mentioned or referenced (ex. California-T, Vantage, SL-AMG, etc).

With that said, purportedly Honda Motors Company (namely Honda) and McLaren Group (namely McLaren Automotive) have a technical partnership, which is in addition to the already known and in-union Formula One partnership.

Now, supposedly the NSX-v2.0 is to be 3,600-3,700 lbs. That's heavy. Leaves me speechless. Sure, it'll be a technical tour de force in the segment, but still. WTH?!

Seems to me Ron Dennis is on his way to be the "Ferrari of Great Britain" and wants to crush every competition.
McLaren's definitely made the game more competitive, and also made the pie larger (rather than re-sizing the pieces as those in Ferrari, Lamborghini, Porsche camps are quite brand-smitten as-is).

Last edited:
Big Mac 570S

With that said, purportedly Honda Motors Company (namely Honda) and McLaren Group (namely McLaren Automotive) have a technical partnership, which is in addition to the already known and in-union Formula One partnership.

Now, supposedly the NSX-v2.0 is to be 3,600-3,700 lbs. That's heavy. Leaves me speechless. Sure, it'll be a technical tour de force in the segment, but still. WTH?!

yeap. the brakes are made by Akebono like their F1 cars. 3600 lbs+ is porky. 3200 lbs is not light either but the demo dude saz its around 2800.

... [reference: attached image] (570S) 3200 lbs is not light either but the demo dude saz its around 2800.
Interesting, as I was told and saw 2895 lbs "dry" for the 570S, so I guess ~3,200 is wet/curbside.

The ~3,600+ weight range is the 911 Turbo and GTR? Who else?

I knew the NSX-v2.0 wasn't going to be 2,800 or 3,000 or even 3,200 lbs. But I also didn't think it'd be 3,600-3,700! Must be all that high-tensile steel... :p

they should replace high-tensile steel with alum for higher end sports cars. otherwise, steel is so last century. Even the new Ford F-150 makes a big deal for losing some 700lbs? of steel and now they can get away with a V6. Good for them.
the 570 should wt. no more than 2800 as a high end sports car. the tub is lighter than the 12C tub and more basic overall with no active aero, std suspension etc.
GTR is all steel AFAIK, maybe the 911 Turbo too?

Back