• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

My '91 BB Build Thread - JH4NA1151MT003060

I bought my car in Nov of 2013 from fellow primer [MENTION=27030]Supra TT[/MENTION]. The car was fairly clean and in good condition mechanically. It had all the major maintenance already done:

- Timing belt, water pump, valve adjustment, lost motion assemblies (done 5/2013)
- brake/clutch/slave master cylinders, new transmission case (snap ring car), and all coolant hoses ALL done

Originally I wanted a car with everything perfect including the paint and low mileage. But as I thought about what I wanted to use the car for I decided to go for a car with some mileage and not so perfect paint so I could enjoy driving it. I didn't want to feel hindered by a low mileage perfect car and I didn't want a garage queen. That's exactly what I got!

I'll be using this thread to document changes to the car over time.

MODS Installed when purchased:
18/19 TSW Mirabeau
UNI Filter
Headers (comptech?)
Pride V1 exhaust
Bilstein shocks
Shine GT front lip
Stacey's sideskirts

The first order of business was taking care of the paint. The paint had many swirl marks and needed to be corrected badly.

BEFORE:
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

AFTER:
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Next, I got rid of the heavy 18/19 wheels and added HID's (DDM 5K 55w kit). So I decided to sell the 18/19's and trade my OEM fat fives + cash for some 94-2001 wheels:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Next I added 2 piece slotted Stoptech rotors up front and regular slotted Stoptech rotors on the rear with Hawk HPS pads.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Couldn't stand the OEM antenna so I added a Guppy attack antenna:
attachment.php

Although I love the OEM 16/17 wheels I had to get some aftermarket wheels as well. 17/18 CCW LM20 (thanks [MENTION=26763]OBerrios[/MENTION]) installed with new suspension (BC Racing Coilovers with Swift Spring upgrade).

This is how the car sits for now:
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
Thanks Chris!

I plan to get a rear valance/diffuser next. I keep changing my mind about which one though. I'll either go with a DF 02+ or the DF carbon GT Diffuser.

I also plan on getting my OEM seats redone in red and red carpet/floor mats:

Attachments

• NSX041.jpg
    NSX041.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 1,275
Looks great! What a big improvement. You can tell you've spent a lot of time on it.

What detailing procedure/products did you use for your paint correction?

Looks great! What a big improvement. You can tell you've spent a lot of time on it.

What detailing procedure/products did you use for your paint correction?

Thanks! I try to keep it as clean as possible. Everyone knows black is hard to keep minty clean.

It's a fairly lengthy process at first but once its done once it's pretty easy to maintain.

When I first got the car (wish i would have taken more pics of the paint so you could really see the difference) i followed this procedure:
1. Hand wash car in the shade with any household dishwashing soap using two bucket method
2. Dry with leaf blower
3. Claybar the car using Meguiar's G1016 Smooth Surface Clay Kit
4. Then I removed swirls with Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover 3.0 with an orange CCS pad on my Porter Cable 7424XP
5. Hand wash again and dry with leaf blower
6. Then I polished with Wolfgang Finishing Glaze 3.0 with a white CCS pad
7. Then seal with Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0 with a blue CCS pad
8. I finished it up with Meguiar's A2216 Deep Crystal Carnauba Wax

After this initial paint correction all i do to maintain it is wash the car with Meguiar's G17748 Ultimate Wash and Wax using the 2 bucket method and dry with a leaf blower. Then every 6 months or so I add a layer of carnauba wax. I am by no means a pro nor do I use the "best" products available but it looks good enough for me.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing. I've been getting deeper and deeper into the detailing world so I'm always curious what others are doing and learning. Started out with a CG torq 10fx but it broke after a few uses and now using the Meg mt300 and loving it. It's really a labor of love.

Looks good. Always loved the shine gt spoiler. But alas, just a matter of time before it meets its demise. :mad:

Excellent work. Love the wheels, and best choice in color. Red seats will definitely make the interior pop :cool:

thanks

picked up some DF carbon fiber sidescoops painted berlina black!

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0229.jpg
    IMG_0229.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 2,050
  • IMG_0224.jpg
    IMG_0224.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 2,060
  • IMG_0226.jpg
    IMG_0226.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 2,048
Last edited:
Thanks! I try to keep it as clean as possible. Everyone knows black is hard to keep minty clean.

It's a fairly lengthy process at first but once its done once it's pretty easy to maintain.

When I first got the car (wish i would have taken more pics of the paint so you could really see the difference) i followed this procedure:
1. Hand wash car in the shade with any household dishwashing soap using two bucket method
2. Dry with leaf blower
4. Then I removed swirls with Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover 3.0 with an orange CCS pad on my Porter Cable 7424XP

After this initial paint correction all i do to maintain it is wash the car with Meguiar's G17748 Ultimate Wash and Wax using the 2 bucket method and dry with a leaf blower. Then every 6 months or so I add a layer of carnauba wax. I am by no means a pro nor do I use the "best" products available but it looks good enough for me.

That's a great start to relieve and bring back black.

thanks Dan!

Thanks Gil. I'm really hesitant to peel off the clear bra. I'm scared that paint will come off with it. I am thinking eventually i'll get the car resprayed or wrapped white.

Has the car been resprayed previously? If not and if the clear bra was applied correctly you shouldn't have any issue. I pulled clear bra off of NSX's carefully without issues.

I dont think so. From what i know its all original paint. I plan to have the car professionally detailed at some point and will ask about the clear bra being removed.

Last edited:
Damn, no wonder why my NSX still looks like shit! Hot water/soap is not cutting for me anymore

2. Dry with leaf blower

Back