• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New Driveshafts - Best source to purchase

[MENTION=24463]mochanges[/MENTION] they are a quality product. I helped [MENTION=27958]solidol[/MENTION] install one of them awhile back and it went on with no issues. More work was involved getting the old one out.

my buddy and I just rebuilt my passenger rear for under $50 and it was a pretty easy job (using air tools and correct pliers to tighten oem cv boot clamps).

I am happy to say after 7 years or so, my car is finally noise free!!! My axle failed due to a crack in my cv boot which allowed moisture and debris to get in then dried out the grease and over miles/yrs, the axle started popping.

my buddy and I just rebuilt my passenger rear for under $50 and it was a pretty easy job (using air tools and correct pliers to tighten oem cv boot clamps).

I am happy to say after 7 years or so, my car is finally noise free!!! My axle failed due to a crack in my cv boot which allowed moisture and debris to get in then dried out the grease and over miles/yrs, the axle started popping.

How did you know it failed? Was it just the noise? So just put back a boot, grease & that's it??

So just put back a boot, grease & that's it??
That makes it sound a little less tedious than it is. Remove rear lower brace. Remove lower control arm from chassis. Remove toe link from chassis. Remove shock bolt. Remove driveshaft. Disassemble: remove boot, clean grease, remove rollers, clean grease, disassemble rollers, clean grease, reassemble rollers reassemble cv joint, pack with grease, secure boot. Then repeat for other cv joint. Then put driveshaft back. Really it's not bad but it takes some time if it's your first time (it was mine).

That makes it sound a little less tedious than it is. Remove rear lower brace. Remove lower control arm from chassis. Remove toe link from chassis. Remove shock bolt. Remove driveshaft. Disassemble: remove boot, clean grease, remove rollers, clean grease, disassemble rollers, clean grease, reassemble rollers reassemble cv joint, pack with grease, secure boot. Then repeat for other cv joint. Then put driveshaft back. Really it's not bad but it takes some time if it's your first time (it was mine).

But no problems with the shafts even though the boot was cut for a while?

Just curious, I'm waiting for Mike from Insaneshafts to let me know when he's finished fixing my driveshafts that I sent back?

But no problems with the shafts even though the boot was cut for a while?
I can't speak to the condition of the shafts for dlynes. My boots were intact and full of grease, though the grease looked pretty aged. I just wanted to maintain my cv joints and replaced the boots since I was in there. I did find a couple of rollers with pitted/spalled raceway surfaces, and managed to find used replacement rollers here on Prime. From what I can tell, the rollers would be the first thing to go.

How did you know it failed? Was it just the noise? So just put back a boot, grease & that's it??

I know it failed because I could literally see the axle popping in and out. At first it was making a noise so I immediately drove home, put car on jack stands. put the car in gear and I could see and hear it first hand.

Anyone that has a half a brain can figure it out. I would definitely recommend having air tools and you'll also have to have the correct plier tool in order to install the factory cv clamps back on (unless you use universal clamps). The honda/acura clamps require a special tool in order to tighten the clamps since they are not threaded.

for my repair, we actually disassembled the entire axle and bearings and even dissembled the bearings. cleaned everything and degreased it all and added new boots. I should have made a video.

Update: Mike at Insaneshaft received my shafts on the 18th of March but hadn't heard from him. So I sent him a message yesterday & he responded asking for my return shipping address.

So waiting for my tracking # and I also asked out of curiosity why I had bad luck with the shafts that I got. Will update again when I get them back.

**Update again 4/11/2016****

Got a tracking number from Mike. He is sending out a new shaft by UPS & said that one bearing in my old shaft set looked to be no good.

Last edited:
update: Had some work done, including having my HKS Hipermax coilovers rebuilt by Feal Suspension & re installing the new set of InsaneShafts (replacement for the defective set) & the car is AMAZING.

Update again. My Insaneshafts are making a lot of noise! I think it might be getting louder.

Has anybody else noticed the shaft making noise?

I have the Insane shafts and the passenger side shaft did make a "Thunking" noise.

I called Mike and he sent a replacement. The new one works and sounds just fine.

Best of luck getting this resolved.

I have the Insane shafts and the passenger side shaft did make a "Thunking" noise.

I called Mike and he sent a replacement. The new one works and sounds just fine.

Best of luck getting this resolved.

I've emailed him, wanting to see what thinks. I'd have to put it up on a lift & see which side is making noise.

I still have my set sitting in my garage and this is worrying. I should inspect them to see if they have play now before I go to install them.

Might as well. My first set made a ton of noise when pulling on the shaft left to right.

My passenger side that I put for temp use while rebuilding OEM axle has been holding well. No issues. It's been around 10k miles and two track days.

I checked out my axles and realized I have no idea what I'm looking at. There's movement lengthwise as their should be but I should be looking for side to side play? Is that right?

My shaft story.
I started to replace a drivers side boot.
Previous owner records showed that the passenger side had been done.
I pulled both anyway.
While inspecting the spider bearings I found I had 3 spider bearings that had obvious wear.
One more had slight wear and I polished it out with 600 grit and about an hour of time.
I read that a Legend had the same spiders on one side.
Ordered a user Legend shaft ($45) - it had 2 bad spider 1 was OK.
I since ordered a second Legend shaft - this week will tell.
I wish I could just get the spider bearings ...
After all of this fuss I keep thinking I should have ordered Insane shafts.
Thoughts anyone?
IMG_1871.jpg

Last edited:
So, I just checked my records & I installed the shafts May 15th of last year. I don't drive the car in winter & it's been only 15 000km's since they were installed. Going to send Mike another email to see what he says.

****UPDATE*****
Mike responded to my email & asked me to send them in. Which I will at some point. Problem is I'll need my garage to remove these Insaneshafts & temporarily install my used OEM one's in the meantime.

Not sure what I'll do. I may fix/clean up my old shafts & leave them on permanently & then sell the new set of Insaneshafts Mike will probably send me.

By the way I don't drive my car fast at all & only once in a while give some good acceleration merging onto the highway. In 10 years I have NEVER dropped my clutch and done a burnout etc. So the issues I'm having with my InsaneShafts are not at all from any kind of abuse.

Last edited:
Decided to have my OEM original shafts/axles rebuilt locally. I hope to have these OEM one's installed next week. Then I will send out my Insaneshafts & probably sell the replacement set here if anybody wants them.

Decided to have my OEM original shafts/axles rebuilt locally. I hope to have these OEM one's installed next week. Then I will send out my Insaneshafts & probably sell the replacement set here if anybody wants them.
Can you share with us why the change of heart with insaneshafts axles. I am about to order a set but feeling a little worried why you made the last post sound like the way to go is just rebuild. Or did I misunderstand your post

Last edited:
Can you share with us why the change of heart with insaneshafts axles. I am about to order a set but feeling a little worried why you made the last post sound like the way to go is just rebuild. Or did I misunderstand your post

He's gone through two of them from what I understand. I don't know if that's one set that has gone bad, or if it was one side that went bad, and then a replacement for that same side went bad again. I'd be curious to know as well. I was considering a set too until I heard of these issues.

I've read both good and bad reviews its almost a hit and miss, mainly noise.. i also been conteplating about getting a set.. was really hoping to see more reviews with these axles..

So I had my OEM axles rebuilt locally & installed them. I still had the same noise. Turns out it was my tyres were making noise. I bought 4 new tyres & now the sound is gone. Putting up[ my InsaneShafts for sale, I have no need for then.

Glad you found root cause but man that's quite a diff in noise and feel between worn rubber and dangling shaft ;)

Back