• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

SPSGarage NSX Build Season 2

Hi everyone!

My name is Tae and this is the second episode (lol) of my build thread. Part one can be found here

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/151332-My-92-Berlina-Black-Build-Progress ( i have deleted all images from the previous build thread so that i could upload the season 2 process)

Quick history of my BB 92 -

I bought the car bone stock in 2011 with only 28k miles. Although it looked/ran perfect as a 92 supercar, it was nowhere closed to being my dream NSX.

Since I purchased the car, I have added modifications such as, 02 conversion, ITB, "NOS"...etc Here is a picture of my NSX after the season 1 build.

Last edited:
Can't wait to see what else you have in store, Tae. Part 1 was amazing, so you've set the bar pretty high for yourself! lol

After the 2012 season however, i put the car (along with my other projects) under the cover to take care of other priorities. Its been over 3 years since the last time I really went at it with my NSX and frankly, I am super excited to be back! = )

Here is a picture of my NSX as it sits today. I got too excited and motivated after talking to my NSX friends that I decided to do a full rebuild lol

- - - Updated - - -

Can't wait to see what else you have in store, Tae. Part 1 was amazing, so you've set the bar pretty high for yourself! lol

Thanks Chris! No where closed to your mega build!

subscribed! can't wait to see this thing in person!

Sell me those wheels Tae!!!!!

lol you got wheels!

Last edited:
Season 2 - Chapter 1 "Interior"

One of the things I really disliked about the NSX is its interior. The simple design matches/flows well with the overall design of the car, but I feel that Honda could have used a different material to further accentuate its sleek interior design ( I guess thats why the Type-Rs came in Alcantara fabric)

FYI - The so called "leather" used in the NSX is not a real leather. It is Vinyl AKA synthetic leather.

During my initial build I added red stitches on top of the factory French stitch, carbon pieces, and wrapped a few interior pieces in Alcantara/Ultrasuede. It looked good! But after seeing Lambos/Ferraris, and other high end sports cars at the local Cars&Coffee meet, I knew it was time for a change. "Changeeeeee" lol

Factory vinyl completely de-skinned and ready to go!!

Here is a comparison picture of the factory vinyl+foam (black) VS the new foam I had already glued to Alcantara fabric. You could see the difference in thickness..and this is why our interior is no longer plushy

- - - Updated - - -

I do not recommend this project to anyone without any prior upholstery experience such as designing, cutting, sewing, wrapping, gluing..etc (Yes! even glueing involves different technique) It is super time consuming and difficult specially if you want that OEM look. (As mentioned on my previous build thread, my family owned an upholstery/interior designing shop for over 25 years and we have done many different models of cars before my father retired)

Prior to tackling this project, I shopped around to get an idea on price/turn around time...etc simply because I had the money to pay someone else to do it, but no time to do it on my own. However, after shopping around, I was discouraged by several factors. First, the Price. I understand that it takes a long time, but I do not feel that it should cost as much as the car itself. Second, the quality. Simply, what I saw was no where closed to meeting my standard. If the OEM did not have wrinkles/gap, I expect to not see them on my new interior. If the OEM is done in 3 pieces, I expect my interior to be done in 3 pieces!...And finally, anything over 1 month turn around time to me was just ridiculous

So, after shopping around for a few months, I said "Lets Do This!!" lol

My weapon of choice!

Material - Alcantara/Ultrasuede/Vinyl/Carbon

Here we go! Fabric/Foam bonding

Stay tuned!

Last edited:
1st prototype preparation -

Marking the joint points
IMG_0293-2.JPG

Measuring the OEM French stitch width
IMG_2242-2.PNG

Testing out the stitches on the fabric/foam
image2-12.JPG

Staples painted black to keep them hidden/blend in with the black fabric
staples.jpg

Ghetto rigged NSX dash stand. I heart Home Depot! lol
IMG_0760.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

After going back and forth between different ideas, I decided to incorporate OEM styled black synthetic leather to the equation. I love the idea of having full suede interior (so pimp! lol), but I wanted to also try my best to incorporate/maintain the classic NSX look/feel
DashStitch.jpg

Test fitting the prototype
IMG_0750.JPG

image2-4.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

Prototype done! Now I could make tiger prints :biggrin:
image1-4.JPG

IMG_05242.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

Test fitting on the car before making the template
IMG_02871.JPG

image1-5.JPG

After a few adjustments, my final NSX interior template is complete!
IMG_02941.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

As I was getting ready to tear everything down to make the final version using the template I just made, my good friend Xavier (Tech7042) offered to purchase the prototype pieces I had just finished...he said "I want them!" lol So we decided to install them in his sexy NSX first :smile:

IMG_05131.JPG

Special Delivery Service for $1 exttra dolla! :biggrin:
IMG_1159.JPG

Out with the old
image1-11.JPG

:smile:
IMG_0453-3.JPG

lol this guy..Enjoy it man!
IMG_0452-2.JPG

Now, back to making the final version...

Thank you!

Im Ok selling a few body parts to fund this upgrade. Master Tae's attention to detail is unparalleled.

LOL! thanks man. I need to sell my kidney to fund your turbo kit!

- - - Updated - - -

Final version - Dash
dashqc3.jpg

Quality control/Up Close and Personal View :smile:
Dash_Quality_control_1.jpg

image2-7.JPG

IMG_08791.JPG

IMG_0888.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

Final Version - Door Panels

In order to differentiate the final version from the prototype, I used the Red/Black perforated Alcantara around the door inserts instead of the black vinyl
Door_Stitch.jpg

DoorPiece.jpg

Also added tack strips to minimize the uneven pulls and maximize the straight line
IMG_1077.JPG

Inserts redone using the Red/Black perforated Alcantara
door_cards.jpg

image1-9.JPG

Quality Control - Bring out the ruler :biggrin: (Im pretty anal)

door_qc.jpg

The power of black staples! You can't see any staples until you get up close and personal :biggrin:
door_qc1.jpg

Also decided to extend the double stitching out
image1-19.JPG

door_test_fit.jpg

image2-13.JPG

Last edited:
Hi,

awesome job.... reaaly good looking.

Since you have the templates, how much would you charge me
for a kit ready to be glued/stapled by me (or a local upholster)? :biggrin:

Thanks,
Nuno

Amazing work Tae. One day I will get my car down the east coast and let you go wild on the interior!!

You might have just found your next niche. I'm pretty sure you are going to have a lot of primers knocking at your door.

Just discovered this thread... No fair Tae you should have just continued on the other one!! [emoji16]

Wow would love to get this done on my interior, that is an amazing job can i ask where you purchased the material from?

The beautiful level of detail and quality makes me shed tears!

Thanks man! Thats the most poetic compliment I have ever received lol

Amazing work Tae. One day I will get my car down the east coast and let you go wild on the interior!!

as long as you are not doing any green interior brother! lol j/k

You might have just found your next niche. I'm pretty sure you are going to have a lot of primers knocking at your door.

Thank you!

I saw his work first hand (Tech7042's car) and it is TOP NOTCH! Reasonably priced too! Get in line guys!!!

Mucho Gracias amigo!

Just discovered this thread... No fair Tae you should have just continued on the other one!! [emoji16]

:smile:

My interior > than all interiors, thanks to Tae!!!

Agreed! lol thanks Yao

Wow would love to get this done on my interior, that is an amazing job can i ask where you purchased the material from?

Thank you! Please send me a PM and Ill provide you with the info

- - - Updated - - -

Hi,

awesome job.... reaaly good looking.

Since you have the templates, how much would you charge me
for a kit ready to be glued/stapled by me (or a local upholster)? :biggrin:

Thanks,
Nuno

Thank you Nuno! and Sorry, I have no desire to sell them like that. Too many variables that could backfire

Hi,

Thank you Nuno! and Sorry, I have no
desire to sell them like that. Too many variables that could backfire

i undestand... it's just a pain to have a dash shipped over to US...

is there a way that you would feel confortable on doing this?
like only the pieces pre-cut, already with the foam on the back, and i would
have an upholster shop stitch it and apply on the dash and door cards

Thanks,
Nuno

PS - this all depending on your price ;)

Back