• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

North Carolina where should I buy a house?

shawn110975

Suspended
Guys wife has been putting this idea in my head to move to NC.

I really don't care where I live as computers and cars will be where ever we move.

My question is where?

I was born and raised in Florida so the beach isn't really a must have but would be nice to take a short drive to get to one, I want to be in a medium size town not to big not to small, a happy place with good schools for my kids to grow up in.

and NSX owners local.

Any Ideas so I can start looking

Help.... LOL

My in-laws live in Newport which is pretty close to Morehead City along the coast and we visit them every year. I was also in the Army in Ft Bragg back in the 80's and became pretty fond of North Carolina. So the state pretty much has three sections; the beach area along the coast, the middle (where Bragg is and also Raleigh) and the mountains. I'm from New York so I kinda like the mountains of NC because it reminds me of New York. It's really pretty but you're quite a ride away from the beach. The cool thing about NC is that you still get the seasons although winter is pretty short. Not sure about the car scene but I'm sure some folks here could give you some input. I was thinking about retirement there at some point.

My in-laws live in Newport which is pretty close to Morehead City along the coast and we visit them every year. I was also in the Army in Ft Bragg back in the 80's and became pretty fond of North Carolina. So the state pretty much has three sections; the beach area along the coast, the middle (where Bragg is and also Raleigh) and the mountains. I'm from New York so I kinda like the mountains of NC because it reminds me of New York. It's really pretty but you're quite a ride away from the beach. The cool thing about NC is that you still get the seasons although winter is pretty short. Not sure about the car scene but I'm sure some folks here could give you some input. I was thinking about retirement there at some point.

I concur, I lived in that area for a few years.

I understand property taxes in NC are relatively low compared to NJ. Is this correct?

There are about 45 other states with property taxes lower than NJ. Some towns have property taxes higher than what some people make in an ENTIRE YEAR. (And I'm talking well paying jobs.) If my wife and I weren't so invested into our careers, we'd be long gone from this terrible state.

Shawn...
If you're gonna do, DO IT.
Taxes aren't as important as quality of life.
San Francisco is a great place... and there are some nice towns nearby too. :smile:
Just sayin'.

Im not worried about taxes you gotta pay to play.

thanks for all the input guys

North Carolina will always have a special place in my heart, specially Asheville!

shawn,i'm in chapel hill,where unc is. it's a wonderful college town known for excellent schools.i have lived in nc all my life. there are a lot of nsx's around central nc.if you would like to talk about nc,feel free to pm me your number and i'd be glad to talk to you.

Last edited:
I have family in Morrisville, I will be visiting in a couple of months. I'd like to buy a vacation/rental property near the cost. If anyone is familiar with the areas and investment property please educate me.

Back