• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Swapping out OEM steering wheels...need a best-practice/time-saving trick...

I have the good fortune to have a steering wheel and column out of a car and able to practice on it today. (I.e. no need to take mine apart just yet.) I did this because I am changing the wheel on my 1991 to a much newer, perforated model.

I went through the checklist...power down (check, okay kidding here sing the car is in pieces), remove the screws and single torx on the panel, remove the plastic cover and remove the remaining torx screw. Next slide off the center airbag assembly. Next, unclip the yellow SRS clips as well as the grounding wire. I removed the big nut and began to slide the wheel off when I realized that one of the two yellow connectors was going to be a bear to get through the opening. Did I do something wrong at this point? This last point had me worried that I would end up with a paper weight in my garage (the car, not the parts.)

Any of you have any best-practices or process tricks?

Tip:
Center your wheels and steering. Apply one strip of painter tape on top of the steering cover.. Another on top of then steering wheel and draw a vertical line onto both tape. To mark the center.. U will need that later.. Also, look at synth19's thread of how to steering wheel swap.. All you need are there.
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/121416-DIY-Thread-Steering-Wheel-Quick-Release-Hub

Thanks, I saw this post previously. I must have missed that part of removing the bracket from the clip.

The job seems super easy. Great, I just jinxed myself.

turn the connector till the square fits into the hole. now when pulling off the wheel if you put any pressure on the SRS clock spring it will be damaged and your gonna get an SRS warning light this means you pull the wheel to hard getting it off ( some are stuck over time ) and you need to do it all over again to install the new clockspring

Back