• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

2002 headlight conversion- self leveling

Hello Primers, I am in the process of fitting a 02 headlight conversion and wondering what you have done with the auto headlight adjusting motor?
Have you wired the auto adjusting motor up so it self levels?
Removed the adjusting motors, so you don't have to cut the chassis?
or what i have seen in every case so far if leaving them there, cutting the chassis and not wiring them up?

I am interested in what you have done, and is there any reason to have them at all?

Last edited:
You need to keep something in the lights to stop the assembly and thus your headlight aim going all over the shop.

RouteKS have a "bolt thread & nut" set-up you can fit instead of the motors so you can manually adjust the aim and avoid cutting the headlight bowl bodywork.

You can wire the motors up to work but you will need to obtain a 2002+ headlight levelling switch. Internally the switches are different to the earlier ones.. The adjustment on the early system works on altering the resistance to change the motor position. The later motors work on altering the voltage level to the motor. The early switch is four pin, the later five..

I wired up the motors on my conversation. I also made up mini-looms using oem connectors to go in between the cars wiring and the light unit instead of cutting up the cars original wiring..

Last edited:
Cheers for the reply! so you can buy a 02 light switch and it could be wired up? What does the switch look like? Is it like a 3 position switch?

- - - Updated - - -

Would you have a wiring diagram for the install? Mine is a Jdm model so the wires already there? Is the switch in the center console with a dial with three positions?

Yes it's the switch in the four-position area behind the gear stick. It's the pop-up rotary one with 0,1 & 2 on it. Can'trremember if there's a 3 as well.. I'm not near the car to check. So yes you would need buy the later version of that switch, the 2002 onwards one..

I probably have a hand-drawn diagram somewhere.. I did this about three years ago so I'dneed to have a look for it.. It can be done though.. But then you'll be cutting the body...

Sounds good! I've already bought the headlights so I would rather use them, then not. Mine is a JDM model so would it already be wired for the leveling switch? It didn't have one when i bought it. . .

I'd be guessing as to whether your car has the wiring or not. Mine is a UK car which already had the levelling option. It could just be that your car never came with the option but is already wired for it? Just not switches. Did your pop up lights have the motors and wiring to them? There would be two multi-pin plugs going to the headlamp unit.
Might be worth asking Kaz on the UK forum about the JDM cars as he if Japanese and owns a JDM NSX..

Last edited:
Yes that's the switch.. How do you get it? Where are you? Are you in Australia, the guy that bought the passenger airbag etc? If so it doesn't appear to be available in Australia and won't be in th US either as it wasn't fitted to US cars.

It's available in the UK. The part number is 38520 SL0 G11. It's quite expensive though at £184.21 plus shipping. That's the price from lingshondaparts.com

Sorry for digging up the past. I have wired up the 02 headlights and the leveling switch. I have wired up the leveling motors but they dont work? I have a 5 pin leveling switch do i have to change something?

Back