• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Southern California Emissions Testing

Stopped by Patrick's shop this past weekend and had a wonderful experience. Courteous staff, clean shop, and it was a pleasure meeting both Patrick and Eric! Well definitely come back again when I need emissions testing. Thanks!

Stopped by Patrick's shop this past weekend and had a wonderful experience. Courteous staff, clean shop, and it was a pleasure meeting both Patrick and Eric! Well definitely come back again when I need emissions testing. Thanks!

Appreciate the kind words, you're always welcome.

Thanks to all of those who come and support. If anyone decides to swing by or have any questions feel free to contact me on my mobile 626-673-406 one.

Last edited:
Just want to add to everyone else's positive experience that I also went through Patrick for smog and everything went very smoothly and with care. Highly recommended.

Thanks again Patrick.

Patrick, I just moved to SoCal and I need your help. Will you be able to get me in tomorrow, saturday?

Can you confirm address, 9614 Garvey Ave, South El Monte, CA 91733. Is your cell 626 - 673 - 406 one still accurate? If so, I will give you a call this afternoon.

thanks,

Rob

Wanted to say Patrick should be your go to guy in So Cal for Smog Checks. Got my registration all completed today

I just wanted to say another fantastic experience with the NSX @ The Smog Spot! Special thanks to Patrick and Eric!!!

Happy New Year's

Patrick, I just moved to SoCal and I need your help. Will you be able to get me in tomorrow, saturday?

Can you confirm address, 9614 Garvey Ave, South El Monte, CA 91733. Is your cell 626 - 673 - 406 one still accurate? If so, I will give you a call this afternoon.

thanks,

Rob

Hey Rob,

Yes that is the correct address and contact info.

Wanted to say Patrick should be your go to guy in So Cal for Smog Checks. Got my registration all completed today

Thanks Gaymond!

I just wanted to say another fantastic experience with the NSX @ The Smog Spot! Special thanks to Patrick and Eric!!!

Happy New Year's

Thanks for the valuable feedback, its much appreciated!

The Smog Spot—Mine was the 2nd nsx by 10:30 Saturday morning..Patrick wasn’t there but the guys there were very impressive, 15 minutes and my car passed..Aftermarket add on’s: Comptech headers- exhaust - air box—

Last edited:
Thank you Patrick and Eric. Super fast and he charged so little compare to other places. I always struggled with NOX being too high. This time I bought a bottle of guarantee pass smog from pep-boy and drove it in 2nd gear between 6000 - 7000RPM to Patrick’s shop (30 miles away). Make sure the cats are really hot. Passed with flying color this time.

Thanks Patrick for helping me smog my NSX on short notice:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Someone needs to drive their NSX more often. [MENTION=24234]kday[/MENTION]

Last edited:
OBD1
IF pre 96(OBD1) all you have to worry about is if your check engine light is on. If on, unplug your battery for a few minutes and plug back in right before smog, light should go off and as long as it doesn't turn back on during the test your all good.

LINK:
https://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/tips-for-passing-smog-in-california-im-a-smog-tech.270909/

Can any California Primers tell me if my car is legal/registerable there? It's a '91 with an Infinity ecu and a non-CARB Whipple/CTSC blower. It does have 300 cell cats on it.

Can any California Primers tell me if my car is legal/registerable there? It's a '91 with an Infinity ecu and a non-CARB Whipple/CTSC blower. It does have 300 cell cats on it.
Here's the minimum you'll need to get that car to pass. With the important caveat that you get a cooperative inspector that will ignore the visual inspection portion.

Exchange Infinity ECU for Stock ECU AND the stock Comptech fueling system.
Exchange the HFCs with the stock cats
Bring the CTSC CARB Approval document (it's here somewhere)

Alternatively, there is an off chance that you can tune your Infinity to run clean enough to pass the sniffer. If the mechanic running the smog doesn't notice an aftermarket ECU (most don't notice it on a pre-OBD2 car) it will pass that portion of the test assuming the tailpipe emissions are clean. However, having stock cats is MANDATORY. I'm unaware of aftermarket cats that run as clean as stock but i'm sure they exist. Maybe the SOS stock cat replacements? Worth asking them...

Most mechanics will not notice it's a non-CTSC blower as long as you bring that CARB document. Do you have headers? Those also have to be stock or CARB Approved.

If you follow my, non-legal advise here, there's a chance that with this bare minimum spec, it could pass the sniffer portion which is really the most important IMHO.

Back