• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Areas in Washington exempt from emissions testing requirement?

I may be moving to Washington State for a while and would like to know what areas are exempt from emission test requirements.
My has twin turbos and other mods.
Any suggestions for an area to live would be greatly appreciated.

UPDATE: No longer need info requested above. Not moving to WA after all.

Last edited:
I may be moving to Washington State for a while and would like to know what areas are exempt from emission test requirements.
My has twin turbos and other mods.
Any suggestions for an area to live would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.dol.wa.gov/vehicleregistration/emissions.html

If you live in these counties, your vehicle may need testing every 2 years:

Clark County
King County
Pierce County
Snohomish County
Spokane County

The "test" is a joke. If you have an OBD1 car they don't even do the roller test any more. They measure the emissions while your car idles and at a certain rpm (something like 2500). I have passed the last few times just by leaning out my fuel map. You get 1 free retest if you fail so you can try again. Get a map that works and just save it for the next time.

Last edited:
Hey Steven,

Anywhere in the areas from Marysville (45 min North of Seattle) to DuPont (45 min South of Seattle) regulate the emission testing. East of Seattle in Bellevue also has the testing.

If you come out it will be great to meet up. Exotics at Redmond Town Center is a great place for cars and coffee.

Jeff

http://www.dol.wa.gov/vehicleregistration/emissions.html

If you live in these counties, your vehicle may need testing every 2 years:

Clark County
King County
Pierce County
Snohomish County
Spokane County

The "test" is a joke. If you have an OBD1 car they don't even do the roller test any more. They measure the emissions while your car idles and at a certain rpm (something like 2500). I have passed the last few times just by leaning out my fuel map. You get 1 free retest if you fail so you can try again. Get a map that works and just save it for the next time.

I'm not very familiar with the locations of counties in Washington.
Are there any areas that don't require emission testing that you would recommend as a place for me to move to for 6-9 months?

Do you have a tuner in WA who can lean out my map? That might be the ticket!
My tuner moved away from my state of Hawaii so I'm currently without a tuner.

Steven Lee
Manager
Stealth Innovative Systems, LLC
Maker of the iLIFT® Systems

Last edited:
I'm not very familiar with the locations of counties in Washington.
Are there any areas that don't require emission testing that you would recommend as a place for me to move to for 6-9 months?

Do you have a tuner in WA who can lean out my map? That might be the ticket!
My tuner moved away from my state of Hawaii so I'm currently without a tuner.

Steven Lee
Manager
Stealth Innovative Systems, LLC
Maker of the iLIFT® Systems

Thurston County has Lacey, Tukwila, and Olympia these towns are off of I-5 and 35 min south of Tacoma. Gig Harbor is 10 min west of Tacoma and there is no emission testing. If you need to be close to a large city without the emissions testing Gig Harbor maybe good.

I would find a independent shop that can do the emissions test for you or just go in and have the test done. It is possible with all the modifications you may pass without having to do anything.

My car and I currently reside in Hawaii where there is no emission testing.
I'll probably go to WA in a week or two to select a residence. My NSX would be shipped later so I won't know if the car passes the test until after I have selected the residence.
I'm leaning toward living in the Tacoma or Gig Harbor areas because I have family there.
Are there any AEM tuners in the area that could do an emissions tune?

Steven Lee

Last edited:
I found a tuner in Tacoma called SpeedFactory Racing. Does anyone know of their reputation or ability to do tuning?

update: SpeedFactory contacted me and said that they can't tune to pass the emissions test. I read a post on another thread that someone else did not have a good experience with SpeedFactory.
So I'm still looking for a qualified tuner.

Last edited:
Back