• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Window regulator repair

I post this video only in the hopes that people do not make the same mistake I did.
Further more, the diy videos ONLY show you how to disassemble a regulator motor and cable winding. Which, "yes a child can do". But a child could not put one of these back together under proper tension. Hopefully people will post some real editorial videos after my own as I damaged mine, and bought an Oem regulator anyways. It's cool though. I had already planned on buying one. This was just a last hoorah. So anyone who makes fixes for this, please realize this is just for improvement and not a stab at your own work.

Critical step 1, do not use a screwdriver to pry out your Teflon gears. This damages the inserts where the cables thread across, therfore making the cable overlap and twisting the steel cable on the spool. Making them bind.
Number 2, your regulator is preset at a specified amount of tension. If this is not matched, your cables will be too loose and overlap one another on the spool. Once this happens, your cables are damaged. May as well throw it away like I did at this point. There is also a steel coil to stop the motor from spinning past a certain point. Mess up what that is set at and guess what, your past the point of safe return.
To put it short, the regulator seems like an easy thing to upgrade. It's not.... The videos to repair it are extremely vague and show only how to rip it apart. That's easy..... How about a "real" fix it video....

For example. You have two cables going different directions on one nylon spool. One lifts and one lowers. If the tension is not in 100% spec, the cables overlap, kink the cables, then they do not seat correctly in the nylon spool.
Just a word of caution primers. Save yourself the headache. Buy a new regulator...
A video of the damage.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5k0dCkOLbro

Last edited:
Back