• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

1998 NSX For Sale - 6spd Manual – Fresh Timing Belt Service - JH4NA216XWT000224

Status
Not open for further replies.
SOLD

Congrats to Rob in AL!

YEAR & MODEL (NSX or NSX-T): 1998 NSX-T 6spd Manual
FULL VIN #: JH4NA216XWT000224
CURRENT MILEAGE: 77,297
COLOR (EXT/INT): Berlina Black / Camel (tan)
TRANSMISSION: 6spd Manual
LOCATION OF VEHICLE: Acworth, GA 30101
CONTACT VIA (E-mail, PM, phone number, etc.): The quickest ways to get a response from me are: email ([email protected]) or Text Message (404-790-three six five zero). PM me as well. Call evenings or weekends.
PRICE: $54,000

Please read my Frequently Asked Questions section at bottom before contacting me as I may have already answered many of your questions. I've also posted an 8 minute video tour of my NSX as well as a link to the higher res photos.

This is the third NSX that I’ve owned and by far the best overall example that I’ve owned (91,92,98 / SC,NA,Turbo / Pop-up Front, 02 Front / 5spd,6spd / etc…). This 98 NSX-T is one of 5 (five) sold in the U.S. in the black/tan 1998 configuration. It has been tastefully modified with CCW Classic wheels, adjustable coilovers, and the LoveFab Stage II turbo system (professionally installed by LoveFab themselves) making 460whp and 370wtq on 93 octane pump gas. I would not hesitate to drive this NSX cross-country. It is rock-solid reliable even with the turbo and the power will blow your mind.

I’ve owned this NSX since early 2011. I’ve owned 37 cars and I’ve owned this car longer than any other car I’ve had. I’m selling for a number of reasons. Primarily, I do not drive the car much especially within the last two years. It is just a garage queen for the most part now. Secondly, my curiosity has gotten the best of me and part of me wants to resume dabbling in other cars that I’ve not owned before. And lastly, there is a possibility of me searching for a higher mileage NSX that I do not have to feel guilty about driving on a regular basis. Which path I take…I’m not sure of yet but at least you know my mindset behind selling this beauty.

The NSX has JUST had the timing belt, water pump, valve adjustment, drive belts, coolant change, transmission fluid, and oil changed. So you DO NOT have to worry about the major service for another SIX years or 90k miles. The work was done at Eiffel’s Place (Eiffel is a long-time Prime member and the local NSX expert) and you’ll see the receipt below in the pictures. I have a box with the old timing belt, WP, belts, OEM parts wrappers, etc…

Paint condition is great. I would give it a solid 9 out of 10. No major issues. Only notable defect would be a small dimple the size of a pen tip on the hood. When I wash it, I use the two bucket method with grit guards and I use fresh wash mitts every time (I dispose of them after 1 wash). Paint is waxed with Collinite 845. Interior is in pretty good/clean condition but the driver’s seat leather is starting to show its age despite how careful I am getting in and out...I don’t think the tan wears as well as the black leather. The OEM shift knob has seen better days. NEVER been smoked in. I am a non-smoker. The car is always garaged in its own 3rd bay w/ battery tender.

If you are new to NSX ownership, the NA2 NSX 97-01 is the best & most iconic obtainable (good luck finding that Zanardi) US configuration to own for the following reasons:
1) you still get the iconic pop-up headlights (I’ve had both and the pop-ups are where it is at)
2) you also get the 3.2L engine w/ more HP/TQ + a stronger factory-installed multi-layer metal headgasket + fiber-reinforced cylinder liners + larger intake valves + larger rod bearings + larger piston pins
3) the 6spd transmission is FAR superior to the earlier 5spd and no snap-ring to worry about + double synchros on 3/4th gears + reverse lockout over 12mph + higher top speed
4) increased brake rotor and caliper piston size over NA1 NSXs
5) OBDII emissions easier to pass
6) Limited Slip Diff changed to Torque Reactive Diff increasing corner exit speeds by 10%
7) Single disc clutch instead of expensive twin disc NA1 clutch + dual mass flywheel
8) Immobilizer ignition / keys
9) New aluminum alloy in selected body areas for lighter weight + increased strength
10) Revised ABS system, improved traction control, and revised electronic power steering

My NSX is located with me here in Acworth, GA within about 45min of ATL airport. I can pick up any out-of-town buyers at the airport, no problem. I will not drive the NSX to meet anyone as I do not want to add unnecessary mileage. No test drives without serious buying intentions proven. I will be happy to take you for a spin if you want to get a feel for the car before you make a financial decision.

No trades at this time. Also, please DO NOT contact me and waste OUR time if you do not already have your financing established. If you need a loan, check out Pentagon Federal (anyone can join). They have been known to loan on NSXs. The title is in hand. I prefer email and text as I can answer those very rapidly. If you want to call, please leave me a voicemail and I’ll call you back after work or you can call evenings/weekends.

---------------------------

NUMBER OF OWNERS: According to Autocheck, I’m the 4th owner. According to Carfax, I’m the 5th owner. I’ve owned the car in Georgia since May of 2011.

CLEAN CARFAX/AUTOCHECK?: Yes, clean title and it is IN HAND. No lien.

HISTORY OF ACCIDENTS? (IF YES, DETAILS) Yes, 2006 indicated on Carfax/Autocheck. No details available, presumed too minor for specifics, and I’ve never seen any evidence of repair on the car.

HISTORY OF PAINT/BODYWORK? (IF YES, DETAILS) I elected to have the front bumper freshly repainted by Magnum in Marietta in 2011 to satisfy my OCD. They are the official body shop of Ferrari and Lamborghini of Atlanta dealers. You’d never notice it wasn’t OEM paint.

MAINTENANCE HISTORY & DO YOU HAVE DOCUMENTATION?
- I have all records from the beginning of my ownership in 2011 including gas receipts. Prior to my ownership, ALL previous owners had the NSX serviced at their dealer so the Carfax shows service details if you want to see all the minutia.
- New OEM (made in Japan) windshield was installed by Magnum following a crack from a rock. This occurred in 2011 when I was picking up the car from the previous owner. I took it to Magnum when I got home and his insurance paid for the replacement. So this windshield is free from pitting or any wear from time.
- On 3/27/2015 Eiffel (member here, and the go-to local NSX service expert) changed my timing belt, water pump, performed valve adjustment, changed coolant, fresh valve cover gaskets, drive belts, changed the transmission fluid with fresh Honda MTF, as well a fresh alignment. When I got the car home, I completed a fresh oil change with Mobil 1 and OEM filter.
- Current emissions. Battery replaced earlier this year. Stays on a tender.
- Maintenance-wise, the car needs nothing at this point.

CURRENT CONDITION OF TIRES, BRAKES, BELTS, HOSES, SUSPENSION COMPONENTS AND FLUIDS:
- Tires have plenty of tread remaining in front and reasonable tread-life remaining in rear.
- Brake pads were changed within 200mi or less (Oct 2014) and discs exhibit no unevenness.
- Brake fluid was replaced about 2000mi ago and is clean.
- Timing belt / water pump changed in March this year
- Drive belts were changed with the timing belt/WP in March this year.
- Hoses no issues reported at recent service.
- Suspension was replaced with brand new coilovers in 2011 (voluntarily) and they have less than 5,000 miles on them now.
- Coolant was changed in March this year with the TB/WP.

ANY KNOWN ISSUES:
- Stock stereo head unit has mysteriously stopped powering on. The lights come on but the screen shows nothing. Previously it needed a little time to output sound but now the head unit just doesn't power on at all.
- Once in a while I’ll get a CEL for the O2 sensor “catalyst inefficiency code” due to the car having no cats (being OBD2 it still passes emissions every time) but this usually only happens 1-2 times per year and only if I bog the RPMs. I clear it with a code reader and it goes away. Does not affect driving or power delivery when it occurs. According to LoveFab: “It likely is due to lack of cats. There are a few mechanical fixes to help with this, such as spacing out the 02 sensor from the exhaust stream a little further.” If I have a chance to space the O2 sensor(s) before the car sells, I’ll update this listing with a note.
- Some of the OEM red paint on valve covers has flaked off in a couple spots prior to my ownership. I believe this is due to a dealership pressure washing the engine bay at some point.
- The driver’s window rolls up slow. I have the Hugabuga window regulator kit to give the buyer and I also have a spare driver’s regulator/rail of unknown state.

MODS if any (Are stock parts included in the sale?)
- LoveFab Stage II Turbo Kit w/ air-to-water intercooler system & AEM methanol/water injection (installed BY LoveFab, freshened up tune by Balanced Performance in Sugar Hill, GA / Installed at 70k miles)
- LoveFab FI headers and FI exhaust
- RPS single disc clutch (not for the feint of heart but you can and will get used to it)
- AEM TruBoost Controller/Gauge
- AEM UEGO Wideband gauge
- Interior is all-original except the driver’s pillar dual gauge pod
- Megan Street Series coilovers (installed at 72k miles)
- CCW Classic 17x8.5"/18x10" wheels w/ titanium brushed centers (the lighting in the photos make the centers look a little darker than they are), “swiss” lightening, & ARP street hardware options (installed at 72k miles)
- Dunlop Star Spec tires 215/40/17 front and 255/35/18 rear
- USASPEC Model PA11-HON iPod/iPhone car stereo adapter module (w/ 16pin and lightning cable)
- 02-05 Rear Valance
- I do not have the stock wheels (sold them). I DO have the spare tire/wheel but do not have any other spare parts that I can think of.

---------------------------

PICS OF EXTERIOR AND INTERIOR (THE MORE THE BETTER)
Video Tour here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNpEwfdGrFk
Hi res photos here: http://smg.photobucket.com/user/dmargrave/library/1998 NSX For Sale Photos

Exterior:

Interior:

Engine Bay / Under Hood / Trunk:

Wheels:

Records / Docs:

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS…ANTICIPATED (PLEASE READ BEFORE CONTACTING ME AS I MAY HAVE ALREADY ANSWERED YOUR QUESTION):

Q. When was the timing belt / water pump last done?
A. Fresh just for you. End of March this year (2015). Enjoy 6 years or 90k more miles without having to deal with it.

Q. Do you have receipts for the timing belt?
A. Sure do. You’ll get the hard copy but you can see a scan in the pictures section.

Q. Does the trans fall in the snap ring range?
A. No, that is not applicable to the 6spd 97-05 cars.

Q. Is the car garage kept?
A. Yes, has its own 3rd bay.

Q. Has the car ever been smoked in? Are you a smoker?
A. Heck no on both.

Q. Are you an adult owner?
A. Yes

Q. Do you owe money on the car or is there a lien?
A. Nope. Title in hand. Never had a lien.

Q. Is the title clear?
A. Yes, clear and normal title and in hand.

Q. How many keys do you have for it?
A. I have 2 keys and 1 remote.

Q. Do you have records for the car?
A. Yes, I have every record including every single gas receipt (93 oct only) during my ownership but I do not have records from prior owners. ALL of them serviced at Acura dealers so you can see what all they did (nothing major) in the Carfax report.

Q. How long have you owned it for?
A. Over 4 years now.

Q. Has it ever seen rain?
A. I can only speak during my ownership…never intentionally taken it out in the wet. I’ve been caught in rain driving home on the rare occasion I drive the car maybe a couple of times.

Q. Why are you selling?
A. I’m selling for a number of reasons. Primarily, I do not drive the car much especially within the last two years. It is just a garage queen for the most part now. Secondly, my curiosity has gotten the best of me and part of me wants to resume dabbling in other cars that I’ve not owned before. And lastly, there is a possibility of me searching for a higher mileage NSX that I do not have to feel guilty about driving on a regular basis (which I would love to do). Which path I take…I’m not sure of yet but at least you know my mindset behind selling this beauty.

Q. Any accidents?
A. Yes, a 2006 accident indicated on Carfax/Autocheck. No details available, presumed too minor for specifics, and I’ve never seen any evidence of repair on the car.

Q. Any paintwork?
A. I elected to have the front bumper freshly repainted by Magnum in Marietta in 2011 to satisfy my OCD. They are the best in the business and the official body shop of Ferrari and Lamborghini of Atlanta dealers. You’d never notice it wasn’t OEM paint.

Q. Does the Stereo/amps work?
A. The amps were fine but the headunit is not powering on any more. It is getting 12V and lighting up the buttons though.

Q. Does the climate control unit work?
A. Yep, still works.

Q. How are the power window regulators?
A. The driver’s window rolls up slow. I have the Hugabuga window regulator kit to give the buyer and I also have a spare driver’s regulator/rail of unknown state. The passenger window performs fine.

Q. Do the A/C and heat work?
A. Yep, both work.

Q. Are there any leaks?
A. There are no leaks.

Q. Are there are funny noises?
A. Nope

Q. Are there any dents or dings?
A. There is a very, very tiny ballpoint pen tip size ding on the hood otherwise none. You will not see it unless you are looking very close at the hood and in the right angle of light up close.

Q. Are there any notable scratches?
A. Nope. Just did a clay/polish/wax and there was nothing notable.

Q. Any chips or cracks in the glass?
A. Negative. Windshield was replaced due to crack in 2011 with OEM made in Japan and shows no pitting or wear.

Q. Are the wheels damaged?
A. The wheels are mint.

Q. How is the leather?
A. Door cards, armrest, and passenger seat are all great. The driver’s seat is starting to show its age especially on the bolster. See pics.

Q. How much tread is left on the tires and how are the brakes?
A. Good tread remaining, pretty new pads, and rotors exhibit no signs of issues.

Q. Does the clutch slip?
A. Nope. Holds flawlessly.

Q. Does the transmission grind/crunch?
A. Nope. Shifts great.

Q. Does the car need anything mechanically?
A. Nope. Maintenance is all current.

Q. What oil have you been running?
A. Mobil 1 Full Synthetic 10w30.

Q. What is involved with the methanol/water injection?
A. It is very easy. The tank is in the trunk and takes up very little space. You should not have to fill it very often. I use a pre-mix called Boost Juice from Sno Performance. I have 3 or 4 gallons still sealed that I will provide to the buyer. That should last you quite a while for street driving as injection only occurs over 3psi and under full throttle. There is a little green LED light in the gauge pillar that lights up when it is spraying. This injection is used primarily as an added turbo safeguard and not for fueling. As an added benefit the meth/water actually helps clean carbon from your engine internals.

Q. What gas do you need for the turbo?
A. Presently, the car is tuned on 93 octane pump gas. I have ONLY run 93 in it with the meth/water injection.

Q. How does the car ride with the coilovers on the street?
A. I think it rides OK for a lowered supercar. Aggressive, sure, but my stock 2004 S2000 was a nightmare in comparison.

Q. How much boost pressure is the turbo running?
A. Right around 9-10psi

Q. How much power does it make on the dyno and do you have proof?
A. 460whp and 370wtq on Dynojet. Yes, see dyno chart in the pictures and video.

Q. What is used to tune the turbo setup?
A. AEM FIC + AEM TruBoost + AEM UEGO wideband as included with the LoveFab kit. Tuned initially by LoveFab. Tune confirmed and tightened up for the GA climate via Balanced Performance in GA.

Q. Do you have any stock parts?
A. Sold the stock wheels and aside from the OEM spare (which I DO have) do not have the other stock parts.

Q. Is the engine original? Has the engine ever been opened up?
A. The engine is the original and an entirely stock engine. Stock multi-layer metal headgasket works very well with boost. Never opened up.

Q. Have you ever tracked the car?
A. Once. I took it October 2014 to Atlanta Motorsports Park as a beginner with an instructor. The car performed flawlessly. Temps and power delivery were safe and I did not push the car very hard as a beginner.

Q. Will you take trades?
A. No

Q. Will you meet me or deliver the car?
A. No, please come see it.

Q. Will you sell it without the wheels/turbo?
A. No. Not at this time. As a buyer, you could remove these items and sell them for close to $10k all said and done and then buy used OEM parts at a low cost and come out with thousands in your pocket. An option if you want a stock NA2 NSX at a reduced cost…

Last edited:
NSX is SOLD. Congrats to Rob from AL! He's going to be a perfect fit for the car.

Thanks, Prime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back