• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

How much louder is CT header added to CT exhaust?

I have a CT exhaust and it is too quiet for a sports car, I feel. Planning to add CT header shortly and wondering if the sound of the engine is heard more with the combo? Want to stay CARB legal due to other reasons also.

Thanks.

I have both exhaust and headers (latest version - as Shad from Driving Ambition told me) from CT that were on the car when I purchased it. To me, if you are looking at lower to mid-range rpm, it's not loud at all. I also have a DF scoop, so...there's more noise in the cabin from the air intake more than anything. Even at higher RPMs, it's not "crazy" loud. If you are looking for deep to "throaty"...this, IMO, won't give you that.

You have a 2000 NSX and you probably won't see much benefits from a CT header since the 1997+ cars have OEM headers that are quite good. Changing them will be a ton of money and time wasted IMHO for very little benefit in both performance and sound.
If you want to change the sound, your best bets are: 1) to get a different exhaust system 2) run high flow cats on the current system 3) run test pipes on the current system.
Options #2 and #3 aren't really CA smog legal, so it's best to keep the stock cats for the times when you get the car smogged.

With test pipe, yes they are loud! Deep tone at 3k rpm & at 5.5 rpm it gets raspy. I would suggest hi flow. But I turn heads every time with the test pipe & Comptech . I do need headers soon. My brother has s2000 with a q300 invidia. Google that. Reviews are they are loud! Test pipe with just the CT exhaust is about 20% - 30% louder imo.

Not sure about a comptech header. But when i put a pride header on my 91 replacing the boat anchors and using stock cats, There is a 30-50 increase in noise. its paired with an ap-x exhaust.
Maybe an owner of a na2 can chime in who changed there headers.

I have a CT exhaust and it is too quiet for a sports car, I feel. Planning to add CT header shortly and wondering if the sound of the engine is heard more with the combo? Want to stay CARB legal due to other reasons also.

Thanks.
Agreed with other posters here. I'd say save your Oem headers. They already have heat shields and are carb approved. A header swap won't give you much in performance for your year. It might give you more sound. What your looking for is a new cat back exhaust. Test pipes will not pass carb.

CT dyno page shows 20+ who with CT header. Are you saying those numbers are for a na1 NSX?

UPDATE: Spoke to CT and they said the dyno was for a NA2. So, why are you saying no gains from this header? Did you install and dyno?

Last edited:
I believe what people are saying as far as power gains for CT headers on an NA2 is that, for the money...it's not really worth. The OEM headers are that good on our cars. I don't have issues with the CT header when getting smog as they have a CARB# on them. But, I would agree that if you are just looking for more "sound", then a new cat back is in your future. :wink: There might be some clips on youtube, but most of those cars are probably running headers; but you can get a general idea. I could vid my car for you and post "the sound" for you (if you can hear it). :biggrin:

I believe what people are saying as far as power gains for CT headers on an NA2 is that, for the money...it's not really worth. The OEM headers are that good on our cars. I don't have issues with the CT header when getting smog as they have a CARB# on them. But, I would agree that if you are just looking for more "sound", then a new cat back is in your future. :wink: There might be some clips on youtube, but most of those cars are probably running headers; but you can get a general idea. I could vid my car for you and post "the sound" for you (if you can hear it). :biggrin:
Bingo.
The NA 1 has quite a bit to gain from headers. But the NA 2 already has tubular headers not cast iron. You'd pick up a few ponies. But at 2k installed give or take? That's madness.

- - - Updated - - -

But either way, the ct headers are nice if your looking for carb certified. I run the dc sports header for my na1. Which are one of the only other headers that are carb legal. You definitely will pick up some hp with a header swap but it won't be very noticeable. If you do, your Oem headers fetch a nice price in the for sale threads being that, lots of na1 guys put na2 headers on their cars because they are oem, tubular, and produce power gains over the cast manifolds.

I have CT header and CT exhaust but it coupled with CTSC. It's not loud at all, it's quite OEM. I hear more whine from my SC then the exhaust note.

CT dyno page shows 20+ who with CT header. Are you saying those numbers are for a na1 NSX?

UPDATE: Spoke to CT and they said the dyno was for a NA2. So, why are you saying no gains from this header? Did you install and dyno?

CT actually claims "18 hp. gain at the wheels" for all sets of headers on their website. It has been shown here multiple times that the gains for a NA2 over the stock header isn't quite as good as it is for a NA1 because the NA1 came with cast exhaust manifolds. I have a NA1 and put the OEM NA2 headers on and saw a 15hp & 10 lb/ft increase at the wheels.

Keep in mind the installation is about 4-6 hours + $1500 for a header. After taxes and install, you're looking at $2000+ for maybe a 5 hp gain at the wheels for a NA2.

The High Flow cats or test pipes are MUCH easier to install, MUCH cheaper in cost and you're pretty much guaranteed to get more sound. (But like I said, keep your OEM cats for the days you need to smog your car).

So, for a NA2, what has better power gains, CT intake or CT headers when paired with CT exhaust? I am running a DF scoop at the moment with the CT exhaust.

If you are looking for real power gains. Go supercharged. I say, keep your Oem intake, your Oem headers, and just buy a new exhaust. Even with my na1, after the header install I was like, ehhhh. It had more ass on the top end and sounded great sure. But I did not quite feel the 20 plus or minus hp claim. Never dyno'd it either FYI. It is very hard to dicifer hp gains over new noises your motor never made before. Just my take.

- - - Updated - - -

Another thing I would like to add, going with a great clutch will give the car a whole new feel. Probably more so then headers or anything listed above. I realized this after switching from a ct clutch back to an Oem one prior to performance mods. I do miss it.

If you were building to a CT supercharger, would you then recommend CT headers and CT intake for the best hp/tq gains?

If you were building to a CT supercharger, would you then recommend CT headers and CT intake for the best hp/tq gains?
Ab-so-lutely!

Sounds like you're really stuck on getting that CT Header... Please just get it and do a Dyno before and after.

Yup...sounds like you are talking yourself into the CT Headers, but...this thread wasn't about HP gains; it was about "overall sound," no?

Yes, but always looking to use quality parts that are SMOG legal, therein lies the problem. My ultimate goals with this car is the CT SC.

Yes, but always looking to use quality parts that are SMOG legal, therein lies the problem. My ultimate goals with this car is the CT SC.
I just recently ctsc' my own car. I love it!!!! Please see my review.It passes smog, idles flawlessly, and makes the car far more powerful.
I would stand by ct products 100%. They take guess work out of everything they do. You just slap it on
and go. After having it, it redeems itself for the high dollar price tag. If your looking for legal options without your car sitting in a shop for months and then later to be tuned by a guy named Bob. Go ctsc.

Their definitely is a difference in sound when you add in the CT-E Headers. At one point my car had stock headers with the CT-E exhaust. I added the CT-E headers and the exhaust is louder but not dramatically so. The main difference is the tone, it's MUCH deeper and has a nice bit of raspiness. WOT it howls more and has a nice deep burble at idle that originally didn't.

OP, I would recommend keeping your stock headers, selling your CT-E Exhaust and check out the Pride V2. IMO its the best sound exhaust besides the GT One 5.1

Last edited:
Their definitely is a difference in sound when you add in the CT-E Headers. At one point my car had stock headers with the CT-E exhaust. I added the CT-E headers and the exhaust is louder but not dramatically so. The main difference is the tone, it's MUCH deeper and has a nice bit of raspiness. WOT it howls more and has a nice deep burble at idle that originally didn't.

OP, I would recommend keeping your stock headers, selling your CT-E Exhaust and check out the Pride V2. IMO its the best sound exhaust besides the GT One 5.1

my 91 came with pride v2 when I bought it few weeks ago. compared to the old 5.1, it is not that impressive. the very high pitch tone is missing. instead, it is just deep.

Back