• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

How may I stop pop-ups on my MacBook...

Lately they have been all over my machine. On this site and every site. Running in the background, etc. I know my MacBook is a dinosaur, but man, what is going on?

Any ideas on how to get rid of these?

I'm surprised to hear about popups on a mac. I don't recall any unwanted popups ever on mine, while they were constant issues on my pc computers at home. Then again, I don't surf and download now as carelessly as I used to on pc's. FWIW I almost exclusively use safari instead of firefox or chrome for no good reason other than I just don't surf much on my computer since I got an ipad, and I'd rather limit downloaded apps since my air has only 256gig HD.

Could popups be more from using firefox or chrome than safari, or could it be more a function of the plug-ins and downloads? I'm still surprised to hear about a mac with popups, for some reason.

I have had a couple instances where I downloaded a program or update off the internet but it wasn't from an incredibly stable source, and with the download came some weird secret program--malware.

This would cause every single internet window to have popups, no matter which site....everything, all the time.

The first time I had to do my homework and after a day I found it to be this secretly added software(malware), and both times all I did was go to my control panel, look at my list of programs with regard to installation date, and WHAM!

Both times there was some oddball program I totally didn't recognize/authorize added within the last day. Once it was completely uninstalled--and I had to go through some files manually(instructed by a guide on internet)--the problem disappeared.

But is this same scenario even possible for MAC's? Im not sure how malware type stuff works for apple.

Last edited:
Am running Mac OSX (pretty old stuff). My Mac no longer communicates with my iPhone. I am looking through the software to see whats up.

99.9% sure it's Adware, Malware or virus installed on your computer causing the problems. Follow NSX Prime's link to troubleshoot.

Haven't had pop ups on Macs in years, and I frequent torrent sites all the time, mostly to download MotoGP/F1 races, and some tv shows. I use Safari exclusively with AdBlock and ClickToFlash installed. Cleanest browsing experience for years now.

Back