• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Rising from the ashes - Valhalla

Wow, when I was looking for a nsx that was when i noticed your damaged beautiful 97. Congrats on getting back up and coming back again! I'm new to the scene as i just got mine last month but Hoping to see you and your wrapped car at Tony house! Im about to go under the wrap knife this coming week

Check your PM's my man :)

Who made that CF bezel? And why does the weave get noticeably tighter as you go right to left? Doesn't look quit right.

That is the SOS item and the issue may be with my cell phone which is what I chose to shoot the shot(s). It looks real good live. I'll have some more professional shot later next week.

After cleaning up all of the little issues in the car and prepping for NSXPO 2015, I can finally get to the last piece of this build. Pictures coming soon.....

54021357.jpg

Turbos, twins with WTA intercooler from Dave Dozier. Flex E85 fuel and Zeitronix gauges. Hopefully tuned and back to me next week.....

And I found my front non compliance clamps. Christmas comes early!

Last edited:
So I will be picking up the car this afternoon from Autowave who did the tuning. Installed a new AEM IAT sensor which we taped into the upper intake manifold across from the OEM locaton. This gives the Series 2 ECU a much faster read on intake temps when running a boosted application. We also had to add an AEM fuel pressure regulator in order to handle the new AEM 320 fuel pump. We were pumping over 70 psi on the stock unit and just needed to get that pressure back under control.

We ran into a couple of other issues along the way like blowing off charge piping and not being able to identify which 53 Series Aerochargers I have. Depending upon application there are nine (9) different compressor maps! So we had no idea just how much boost we could throw at them. So we are tuned very conservatively due in part to keeping the turbos below threshold and also not knowing how much life we have in an OEM clutch. Also because of fear of losing the clutch, I did not opt to tune for the E85 at this time. When the clutch does go, I'll upgrade that and then re-tune with perhaps more boost and the flex fuel. But as it now stands I picked up almost 80 rwhp and over 85 ftlb of torque. This dyno is a bit of a "heartbreaker" reading almost 10% less than the old dyno Autowave had.

I'm only at 5.5 lbs of boost and full boost by 3k rpm's. This is going to be fun. Can't wait to go for a ride.

Last edited:
So first impression after picking up the car? Wow. That is all I can say. The car acts just like normal. Fires right up. The idle does hunt a little but that may settle down with some more miles on her.

I had the transmission fluid changed as before it was a little hard to downshift into some gears. The shifting now is like butter. Smooth and silky with no hang ups or having to mash the gear shift. If any of you are having shifting problems, try changing the fluid first. It feels great, like a brand new car.

The power band is the same linear feel, just a lot more of it. Torque has increased almost 90ftlb and you notice this at 2500rpms! The exhaust is quieter than my old Teitec GTLW due to the turbos, but it still has a healthy sound. You can hear the turbos when they spool up but it's nothing too offensive. Just a small whir that you feel more than hear. I did relocate the blow off valve to the throttle body inlet so I do hear that a bit more but it's not that bad. Before the BOV was located in a very inefficient area, down by the driver side turbo and plumbed to recirculate into the intake. Now it's where it should be.

The biggest sensation is just sitting in the seat and putting your right foot down. This car has a way different feel than what Layla felt like. How so you ask? Well Layla was a '97 NA2 Targa. This car is a '91 Coupe. This car is 400 lbs lighter (2700 with a half tank of gas), coil overs, BBK and running 20% more horsepower than Layla. She is nimble and quick. Very.

So what is left to do? I need to have some bungs welded into the exhaust to get the O2 sensors placed properly so that condensation does not take them out again. Eventually (yeah right, who am I kidding) the clutch will need to be upgraded. After that I'll throw some more boost at it and get the E85 tune installed too. Then I'll be done. But for the current time, I'm just going to drive her and enjoy. Happy Holidays to the Prime Nation.

So I figure it's time to update some of the projects I've completed and get some help with a new project. First of all the non compliance bearings in the rear beam were squeaking like crazy. I first noticed this on the ride out to NSXPO last fall, but couldn't really put my finger on where it was coming from. It finally came to me in the parking garage. I asked Jonathon about it and he knew what it was immediately. He ended up pulling them out four (4) times trying to get them to quiet down! All to no avail. But it seems that TiDave knew about this issue too and created a new N/C bearing with dust shields so we tried them out. So far, so good. No issues after a very nice spirited romp up to Idlywild and Palm Springs yesterday. Thanks to TiDave and Jonathon for all of this work.

The stereo was a freaking mess so I ripped it out, bought some parts and re-ran all of the wiring. It now sounds so good, I feel like I'm in a concert hall. Took weeks to install but now all worth it. I'm not a banger but it puts out some serious notes now.

Next was the 5 point harnesses. I had originally purchased some used Simpson belts from RYU but never liked the way they fit. On a road trip up to Cambia a couple of weeks ago, we had many issues with my wife's belts so I reached out to Coz to get his recommendation on new harnesses. Bought sub belt bars from TiDave and mounted them. Coz suggested G Force so I got them and installed them Saturday. The drive on Sunday was fantastic. No fighting the belts and my wife was safe and secure. Love the new belts, thanks Coz.

While mucking about on the inside I decided to add a dual USB charger to the center counsel arm rest. Now Pam's IPhone will always have a charge and we won't have to fight over navigation. Stealthy and it works.

All in all the car is almost finished. Except that now I have an issue with the CCU blower motor is not pushing out much air. Looks like I will need to pull it out and see what the problem is. No A/C in the summer will not be fun. There will always be something to work on but I'm starting to run out of "must dos". It feels great to own an NSX.

Last edited:
Awwwwwww yeeeeah JC. Getting all of those annoying gremlins sorted out. Feels damn great doesnt it!!!! I know you and I were in the same boat at one point sorting out wiring issues that our lovely P/O's were responsible for :D I too have been enjoying my car the last couple of weeks after it being down for many months. Too bad I already have plans this Sunday otherwise I'd be joining the group on the drive. Reliving NSXPO I see, very nice. Knock on wood but my non comp rear bearings have not squeaked on me yet and hopefully never will. I guess you can say I dont have a dusty ass ;)

^^^^You mean that you move so fast that dust can't settle on your ass? Or that you are sitting on it so much, no dust can find it's way there?

View attachment 142957

Update time. Yes I'm still alive, don't pay the ransom. Car is cleaned up and resting for now but later this week;
1) replace the Coolant gauge Thermo Unit as I don't have a temperature reading on the motor. Since reading about Jink's car, I'm terrified of not know what is going on behind my right ear. - Done
2) new steering rack to install from Matt (D1Guy). He swears i'm going to love it. - Done, review to follow
3) need to adjust the HID headlights. Just some fiddling as I have never liked where they have been pointing - Done
4) valve adjustment as it sound like a coffee can of marbles - probably a collapsed LMA or three, will have to wait
5) Oil change and filter
6) Replace the transmission fluid. Third gear is getting a little cranky.

The clutch is still holding in there (don't ask me why or how) but I have started to compile my next list for the inevitable major service inclusive of TB/WP, head gaskets and bolts, LMA upgrade, rear axle rebuild and boots, and a new clutch. Probably will do all the coolant hoses too. It's coming so I'll start squirreling away parts throughout the summer. I'll shoot some pics along the way.

Last edited:
So my bench is now full and the parts list completed. Picked up the last parts form Acura of the Desert this morning.

What you can't see in the boxes;
* All four rear axle dust boots and grease
* Cometic head gaskets
* Water pump and Kevlar timing belt
* ARP head bolts
* upgraded LMA's
* all 23 Coolant hoses
* Exedy twin organic clutch
* Clutch damper delete
* Relocation for oil pressure sensor
* Thermostat
* All fluids for coolant, transmission, engine and turbos

I will schedule this around my upcoming vacation time next month. I'll also increase boost after the rebuild (thinking about 8-9 lbs) and get her tuned for E85 too. Then I hope I'm done for a while. I must say, she has been pretty bullet proof since putting her together over two years ago. Oh wait, a shout out. To Matt and Charles for the steering rack rebuild. Very fast service and what they do defies description. Layla was an EPS unit and they worked wonders with that one. When I got this car, i got used to the extra effort of manual steering input and enjoyed it. But the difference now is incredible. I wanted to wait a bit before reviewing it but it is noticeably better. It is pin point precision and the amount of effort required is almost as light as the EPS. Yes it really is that light to steer and I'm on oversized 17x8 front wheels and Dunlop Direzza tires. The road feedback is just instant. A great service and another fantastic NSX vendor that deserves our support. Thanks to Matt and Charles.

So for now I'll enjoy beating my car (and clutch) for a couple more weeks. I'll document progress as we pull her apart and give her the proper maintenance she deserves after 26+ years of great service. Looking forward to this.

Attachments

• Parts Accumulated.jpg
    Parts Accumulated.jpg
    206.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Oh wait, a shout out. To Matt and Charles for the steering rack rebuild. Very fast service and what they do defies description. Layla was an EPS unit and they worked wonders with that one. When I got this car, i got used to the extra effort of manual steering input and enjoyed it. But the difference now is incredible. I wanted to wait a bit before reviewing it but it is noticeably better. It is pin point precision and the amount of effort required is almost as light as the EPS. Yes it really is that light to steer and I'm on oversized 17x8 front wheels and Dunlop Direzza tires. The road feedback is just instant. A great service and another fantastic NSX vendor that deserves our support. Thanks to Matt and Charles.

I can't thank you enough for the shout out. Of course, my 92 was the test mule for the manual rack R&D. Once Charles and I got it figured out, the difference shocked us both. So glad that you're able to notice the difference as well. As always, its an absolute pleasure working with you JC. I'm always here if I can help in any way.

I can't thank you enough for the shout out. Of course, my 92 was the test mule for the manual rack R&D. Once Charles and I got it figured out, the difference shocked us both. So glad that you're able to notice the difference as well. As always, its an absolute pleasure working with you JC. I'm always here if I can help in any way.
No Matt, the thanks is all mine. You guys did an amazing job, both times. There really is no other car that drives like an NSX with proper steering.

Are you going to nsxpo this year JC? Who among the old crew you reckon will be going and how are you getting your cars there?

Regan, there are three of us from socal and one from norcal that are driving to NSXPO, and one that is flying to NSXPO. Driving, Craig (Seasharp), me (MCano) and Alan (GoKart). I forget the name of the norcal guy. Tom Ford is flying there.

Alright, nearing the finish line. Drove the car home last night after a major overhaul. The drive was marvelous. I'll post up some photos when I get them sorted. We pulled the motor and began the work. No surprises found anywhere. Not that we expected any but it was a relief, every step of the way.

The only sound you hear now is the exhaust. No more clacking form the old hydraulic LMA's. Only the sweet sound of the exhaust. The motor itself now sounds like a sewing machine. The sound it makes now is a whir instead of the clacking. It's really quiet. I had the heads serviced too and they replaced the valve guides. No issues and the Cometic gaskets were perfect and the ARP head bolts went in easy too. Water Pump and a new Kevlar timing belt and every o-ring and gasket replaced. Also added some oil to my turbos. They only needed a couple of ounces each, every year.

All fluids changed and the transmission has never shifted better. When I first got the car, we changed out all the fluids and found they had used motor oil for the transmission. I replaced it with Honda White Cap but I'm sure there was some residual motor oil left behind. With fresh White Cap, it shifts like the car is brand new. Every coolant hose was replaced. Quite the PITA but I now have peace of mind. None of the old hoses were that bad but better to do this now than have one fail on a canyon run. Am I right Mike? Temperature gauge was rock steady at a tick below half the whole way home. Right where it should be.

The clutch, oh my, the clutch. Maybe a touch heaver than OEM but not by much. Engagement is very predictable and smooth. And clamping is awesome. It really hooks up. I will need some seat time to get the rev matching down as the lighter flywheel makes for some impressive throttle response, both up and down. But I think I'm really going to enjoy driving her more now. The old, un-greased OEM clutch was such a pain. Not anymore. Added the SOS damper delete kit too. No more spongy feel on the pedal. Very precise feel now. Thanks Jim Coz for walking me through this decision. Couldn't be happier.

Axle boot replacement was a very filthy job but I replaced all four boots. Now the underside of the car will remain relatively clean. Re-greased everything and it went back together with no issues.

A big shout out to Ramon at Niguel Motors and his posse of Iggy and Arturo. It was a big job and they were instrumental in getting the car back together and on the road again. Couldn't have done this without them.

So what is left, you ask? Getting the windows and windshield tinted next week then off to the tuner for a little more boost and to tune for E85. I could have done this before but wasn't sure the old clutch could handle the increase so I've waited until now. Then I'll be done. Oh who am I kidding? It's an NSX, it will never be "done". Now to sort out some pictures....

Last edited:
Back