• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

"Sir. please. We have been in the business for over 50 years. I think we know a thing

Aha! We have an update.

2.9 Volts are getting to the (now replaced) capacitors. Need 5.5.

He ordered a power gizmo (voltage regulator?)

Next update, 2016.

Well, at least it is going somewhere. Tiny bit of hope on the horizon, perhap?

Well, we are done here.

Maybe it was hubris, maybe ego. I called the shop Monday for an update and the lady told me the unit was fixed and to swing by so they can test it in the car. I asked her to confirm with the tech, which she did.

Fast forward to today, after driving through the murder capital of Chicago midday, I end up at the shop and get a light berating from the tech. He could not understand why I just showed up. I explained that I called Monday and had confirmed the great news. Called again this morning, was told to come on to the shop and reconfirmed all was well. I called when I was 5" out - same response. He proceeds to explain that he has not finished it yet and that I must have misheard. I listened to him defend his staff and comment on how my stereo was "...old anyway..." (note, his shop was chock full of mid 1980's and prior vintage equipment) and that he could not possibly be expected to repair it without the schematic. He went on to say that there must have been a soft drink dumped on the main board because he cleaned that off with acetone.

I thanked him for his efforts and politely but firmly advised him that we were, "....done here..." That after nearly 45 days he had the opportunity to fix it but clearly was unable. That I really tried to help/coach him so that maybe he would be a resource to the community, but that was not going to happen. And, by the way, it costs me $20 every time I have to come to his shop - three shop-initiated visits (twice to test in car and once to pick up) was my limit.

I am out $30. We are still "friendly". And, I am moving on...sans repaired radio.

Now what the he77 do I do with my new GROM? (Kidding)

Sorry to hear that, but thanks for being so patient. What are your plans for car audio now?

Thanks for the effort. Suck they drag you around knowing they couldn't fix it.

Am wondering if my iPod attached to the GROM would be enough of a signal to enjoy the head unit as-is.

If that signal pathway is working, and your amps are in good shape, then I'd say you're good to go.

If your GROM is a bluetooth unit, even better. If not, you can do what I did and get these:
http://www.amazon.com/SCOSCHE-IFWAH...sim_107_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=10QH7MG3DDB9EKB8EZRV
http://www.amazon.com/Aluratek-Blue...ds=Aluratek+-+30-Pin+Bluetooth+Audio+Receiver

stick them on the end of your grom cable where your ipod usually goes, and now you've got bluetooth streaming from your cellphone whenever you want it (useful for streaming music or podcasts) or you can connect your ipod whenever you like.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about your (non)results :(

In the effort of reducing some clutter on this subject, I'll post this here. If they are successful then I'll start a new thread. Has anyone tried a place called Hi-Tech Electronic Services in Van Nuys, CA? I found their shop after watching a youtube video they had posted about removing the NSX headunit. I emailed them and they said they still do NSX head unit repair so I am giving them a try. Shipped out my unit yesterday so hopefully I'll hear something next week. My headunit is very dead, does not turn on, no sound output, etc. so it may be a challenge.

http://www.hitechserv.com/electronics-repair/oem-navigation-dvd-cd-changer-repair/65

Fingers crossed :)

All - Just had to share this, it is so funny.

I put the GROM unit in and replaced the stereo in the dash. I figured I would just have something to listen to until another unit arrives.

So, I go to listen to some Otis Redding and BAM! All I get is the soundtrack, no words. I switch to a little AC/DC and same thing. I mean, if you want to learn a chord progression, come sit in my car.

I laughed for a little bit and then realized, hey...the repair shop just MESSED UP my stereo. At least before, I had some utility. Oh well, it is a funny story nonetheless.On the bright side, I found about two dollars in coins, some gum and what appears to be rice paper under my carpet (I swapped the seats today.)

Just thought I would share.

That's hilarious, and it only cost you 30 bucks!

In the effort of reducing some clutter on this subject, I'll post this here. If they are successful then I'll start a new thread. Has anyone tried a place called Hi-Tech Electronic Services in Van Nuys, CA? I found their shop after watching a youtube video they had posted about removing the NSX headunit. I emailed them and they said they still do NSX head unit repair so I am giving them a try. Shipped out my unit yesterday so hopefully I'll hear something next week. My headunit is very dead, does not turn on, no sound output, etc. so it may be a challenge.

I used them back in the spring (earlier post here). Had the leaky capacitor thing, on/off by itself, sometimes wouldn't even turn on, etc. Relatively quick turnaround, good communication, very professional and it has been working flawlessly ever since. +1 for Hi-Tech.

Thanks for the update Speedmaster.
Sorry it didn't work out for you, but thanks for trying out something new for us.

http://www.hitechserv.com/electronics-repair/oem-navigation-dvd-cd-changer-repair/65

Fingers crossed :)

Good luck [MENTION=31565]VR4Rob[/MENTION]!
Looking forward to your results considering your headunit is very dead (I have two working, just not 100%, headunits).
At least you have a great soundtrack to listen to otherwise (LoveFab!).

I used them back in the spring (earlier post here). Had the leaky capacitor thing, on/off by itself, sometimes wouldn't even turn on, etc. Relatively quick turnaround, good communication, very professional and it has been working flawlessly ever since. +1 for Hi-Tech.

Hey [MENTION=17204]vf2ss[/MENTION], would you mind letting us know how much Hi-Tech Electronic Services charged you for diagnosis and repair, as a reference (I know you stated earlier that cost would vary depending on condition and what needed to be done)?

Hey @vf2ss, would you mind letting us know how much Hi-Tech Electronic Services charged you for diagnosis and repair, as a reference (I know you stated earlier that cost would vary depending on condition and what needed to be done)?

Very interested here too; thanks!

...would you mind letting us know how much Hi-Tech Electronic Services charged you for diagnosis and repair, as a reference (I know you stated earlier that cost would vary depending on condition and what needed to be done)?

With shipping costs, insurance, good packing materials, etc. it was right around five hundred for mine.

There was a diagnostic fee but I think it got waived because they serviced it, not sure, call to make sure. A polite gal usually answers but she isn't a tech so best not to throw a bunch of technical questions at her.

If you've got questions you can ask to speak with a tech but most likely they will tell you they need to have the unit in hand to first diagnose before they can tell you anything.

With shipping costs, insurance, good packing materials, etc. it was right around five hundred for mine.

There was a diagnostic fee but I think it got waived because they serviced it, not sure, call to make sure. A polite gal usually answers but she isn't a tech so best not to throw a bunch of technical questions at her.

If you've got questions you can ask to speak with a tech but most likely they will tell you they need to have the unit in hand to first diagnose before they can tell you anything.

Thank you for sharing!

Just wanted to provide an update for this thread...

Hi-Tech had repaired my oem headunit which mainly entailed replacing my failed capacitors. In about a month from now it will have been 3 years since the repair and I'm happy to report that the radio is still going strong and working flawlessly.

I just noticed their service page has increased the range of the repair from $300-500 to $300-650, added a disclaimer about part availability and now offering the evaluation for free.

Obviously there are a lot of options out there for replacing the radio, or modifying it with Willman's, so this update is mainly for those interested in keeping it oem.

Back