• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Detailing the engine bay.

Hello prime!

Time to pick your brains again.

I have a good deal of knowledge regarding the regular detailing of the exterior/interior parts of any car, you know, wash with 3 buckets, treat the paint like you would your skin, foam washes / wax every 4-6 months etc. But what about the engine bay?

On my 79 El Camino I usually do a low pressure wash on the engine bay with electronics wrapped, and use a small brush to get the good old Gen 1 small block grease off. Then i'll usually take a can of WD-40 and spray the entire bay down, do another light rinse, and the shine will usually last for 3-4 months depending on driving. I have been doing this for 10 years and the engine bay has always looked immaculate. WD-40 is also a water inhibitor / protector of metals.

Just wondering if anyone has tried something different with great, good, or bad results depending on what you have used. I am not a fan of engine degreasers as my personal experience with them has not been good (leaving marks, uneven cleanliness, worse after wash appearance) etc.

Just curious. Thanks!

your doing it right, I don't even cover the electronics older cars yeah

spray degreaser every where let sit, pressure wash or a hose with a spray nozzle, let dry then Wd-40 everywhere let sit for an hour then go back over with a clean wrag done. engine lid closed never see how clean it is. so I only clean mine once a year if that.

but some of the white glove OCD's make love to it and need it clean to keep the DNA sample off of it.

LOL

It's always been my understanding that petroleum-based products like WD-40 are not good for rubber. Since there's plenty of rubber in the engine compartment, wouldn't a silicone spray be better?

For cleaning nearly any surface, car related, I use this product. You simply adjust the concentration for the specific job, and it doesn't strip wax or dry out rubber pieces. If you want to protect your rubber/plastic pieces under the hood, use 303 protectant which leaves a nice OEM matte finish. I sometimes use Shin-Etsu, just a thin coat, on my hoses which really leaves them looking great.

All Purpose Cleaner:

http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-all-purpose-cleaner-plus-d103.html

Vanishing Point
For cleaning nearly any surface, car related, I use this product. You simply adjust the concentration for the specific job, and it doesn't strip wax or dry out rubber pieces. If you want to protect your rubber/plastic pieces under the hood, use 303 protectant which leaves a nice OEM matte finish. I sometimes use Shin-Etsu, just a thin coat, on my hoses which really leaves them looking great.

All Purpose Cleaner:

Hmm I'll have to order a bottle of this and give it a shot. Thanks for the reply!

but some of the white glove OCD's make love to it and need it clean to keep the DNA sample off of it.

hahaha nothing wrong with that. I do like seeing some super clean OCD cars, but mine likes to be driven thousands of miles a year =)

jwmelvin
It's always been my understanding that petroleum-based products like WD-40 are not good for rubber. Since there's plenty of rubber in the engine compartment, wouldn't a silicone spray be better?​

Hmm well I haven't noticed any degradation of rubber lines under the hood of my El Camino and I've been using good ol WD-40 for 10 years or so. The only thing I don't like about it is if I get lazy and don't want to do a complete wipe down after I spray, dirt likes to stick to heavily coated surfaces. Cheers!

There is nothing better than 303 protectant. If you read the directions on the container, it even states that 303 gives a protective coating to aluminum wheels etc. I have been using it on wheels for quite a while now, and it does keep brake dust and road dirt from sticking to rims. The stuff is great for vinyl trim, rubber, the top on the S2000, and even offers UV protection for leather. As stated, it is water based, and won't degrade rubber like petroleum based products.

There is nothing better than 303 protectant. If you read the directions on the container, it even states that 303 gives a protective coating to aluminum wheels etc. I have been using it on wheels for quite a while now, and it does keep brake dust and road dirt from sticking to rims. The stuff is great for vinyl trim, rubber, the top on the S2000, and even offers UV protection for leather. As stated, it is water based, and won't degrade rubber like petroleum based products.

Yeah I read up on it for the last hour or so. Just ordered a bottle =)

anytime you go to a car show touch the wet engine bay and smell your finger 100% its WD-40 LOL

anytime you go to a car show touch the wet engine bay and smell your finger 100% its WD-40 LOL

WD-40 is probably fine for around the engine compartment, but not for rubber hoses etc. No wonder some of you guys feel compelled to change your coolant hoses every other month!

This, I use a degreaser, then hose, then wipe down any area's that didn't clean up, then coat with Aerospace 303 and am done.

All Purpose Cleaner:

http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-all-purpose-cleaner-plus-d103.html
This item has been "on backorder/temporarily out of stock" for some time. I've got the Aerospace 303 and was considering buying Sonus Trim & Motor Kote, which guys on other forums seem to like. You guys mention applying a "degreaser"...is just any degreaser ok for the NSX engine compartment? I don't want to put some harsh, caustic chemicals in there which could cause damage. I've been looking around for stuff which claims it's safe for aluminum but can't seem to find much. Any thoughts?

This item has been "on backorder/temporarily out of stock" for some time. I've got the Aerospace 303 and was considering buying Sonus Trim & Motor Kote, which guys on other forums seem to like. You guys mention applying a "degreaser"...is just any degreaser ok for the NSX engine compartment? I don't want to put some harsh, caustic chemicals in there which could cause damage. I've been looking around for stuff which claims it's safe for aluminum but can't seem to find much. Any thoughts?

I've steered away from off the shelf engine degreasers for a while. I noticed big time that a degreaser, especially on exposed aluminum will leave white haze and very ugly marks even on a cold engine. It might just be my personal experience though.

Generally I'll use a 1:4 ratio of simple green and water as a degreasing agent and scrub lightly with a horsehair brush in the places I can reach. Rinse lightly with low pressure water and voila! clean engine! then you can apply whatever coating you desire on top of that. Cheers. Still waiting on my order to come in for the 303.

For the underneath of the car (every 6 months or so) I use a small electric pressure washer 1300 PSI. I can put my hand in front without any pain and its still powerful enough to remove most grime and leave a clean surface. I drive my car too damn much though so it's ALWAYS dirty it seems heh!

Last edited:
I've steered away from off the shelf engine degreasers for a while. I noticed big time that a degreaser, especially on exposed aluminum will leave white haze and very ugly marks even on a cold engine. It might just be my personal experience though.

Generally I'll use a 1:4 ratio of simple green and water as a degreasing agent and scrub lightly with a horsehair brush in the places I can reach. Rinse lightly with low pressure water and voila! clean engine! then you can apply whatever coating you desire on top of that. Cheers. Still waiting on my order to come in for the 303.

For the underneath of the car (every 6 months or so) I use a small electric pressure washer 1300 PSI. I can put my hand in front without any pain and its still powerful enough to remove most grime and leave a clean surface. I drive my car too damn much though so it's ALWAYS dirty it seems heh!
Thanks xxxdominion and Batmans.
Xxxdominion, I was considering Griot's Engine Cleaner (I called and they assured me it was ok on aluminum) but you're saying avoid all such cleaners and go with diluted Simple Green? I'll look into that further. Batmans, most of the reviews of your cleaner are great...only problem is that it's hard to find!😕 Even the Costco website doesn't sell it! I appreciate the responses.

They sell that cleaner at O reilly's and Autozone last I saw.

If ur going to get it get a lot.

U can use it for laundry (great at removing oil stains) and house hold cleaning.

It's also the BEST and I mean BEST wheel and exhaust tip cleaner.

I spray this on a cold wheel or tip surface and NEVER have to sponge, wipe or scrub off the grim, soot and/or dust.

Just melts off with no damage.

Then I hose off. That alone made me buy 6 gallons worth.

My engine compartment never gets more than a bit dusty. All I do is mist water lightly out of a spray bottle and then use compressed air or my master blaster to dry it off. No more dust. I would not spray that much water around electrical connections and especially the alternator. You are definitely asking for problems. We have had to replace a half dozen alternators on used vehicles over the years because of subletting used car detailing out to private businesses. There is no reason to spray that much water on an alternator, unless you like replacing parts.

They sell that cleaner at O reilly's and Autozone last I saw.

If ur going to get it get a lot.

U can use it for laundry (great at removing oil stains) and house hold cleaning.

It's also the BEST and I mean BEST wheel and exhaust tip cleaner.

I spray this on a cold wheel or tip surface and NEVER have to sponge, wipe or scrub off the grim, soot and/or dust.

Just melts off with no damage.

Then I hose off. That alone made me buy 6 gallons worth.

My engine compartment never gets more than a bit dusty. All I do is mist water lightly out of a spray bottle and then use compressed air or my master blaster to dry it off. No more dust. I would not spray that much water around electrical connections and especially the alternator. You are definitely asking for problems. We have had to replace a half dozen alternators on used vehicles over the years because of subletting used car detailing out to private businesses. There is no reason to spray that much water on an alternator, unless you like replacing parts.

I may check out O'Reilly's for that cleaner, but like the idea of misting water and blowing it off. Some guys on Ferrari Chat talked of regular Simple Green, but I've read that that formula is corrosive. Then another guy was pushing the Simple Green designed specifically for aircraft (thus presumably safe for aluminum). I guess if I need something beyond a light water cleaning I'll look at either Aircraft Simple Green, Batmans' O'Reilly's cleaner or Griot's (unless anyone else wants to impart their wisdom)😉. Thanks to all!

water inside the alternator is a no-no, especially high pressure delivered.
regulator and rectifier circuitry will eventually fail.
I know that's a newer alternator (non-OEM since its a supercharger), but still it will corrode the connections eventually.

Nukum said I should post here, since I have a reputation for having an immaculate engine bay.
I don't have the guts to high pressure wash like Batmans, but I know he does some awesome detailing (I've taken his advise in the past.. thanks Batmans).
I've tired the Aerospace 303 and I know it is suppose to have superior UV protection. I wasn't all that impressed. But that is just me.
I normally just keep it clean. I spray the engine bay with a hose. I have used Zaino Z2-Pro on the paint in the engine bay.
My hoses I tend to just use Armour All. I know lots of people don't like it, but it seems to make my hoses look great.
I also use it on the inside of my fender wells and on my tires to dress them (tread) at car shows.
I use other products for the outside of my tires.

Basically I just keep it clean. I believe it helps to have a mid engine set up.

No special secrets ...

This is a picture from the 2015 AcuraZine National Car Show at Jay Wolfe Acura, Kansas City, MO this past Sunday 6/14/15 (Actually, I haven't washed my car seriously since last year. This was a last minute trip to KC ... road trip. Fun meeting some of the other NSX owners in the mid-west).

Attachments

• DSC_5702.jpg
    DSC_5702.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 638
Last edited:
^ uh oh, Shawn's going to yell at you to replace that yellowing coolant tank...

Yeah, I knew somebody would mention the coolant tank. I'll need to get an upgrade one of these days.

I'll go put my flame suit on for when Shawn sees my coolant tank. :smile:

.....I don't have the guts to high pressure wash like Batmans, but I know he does some awesome detailing (I've taken his advise in the past.. thanks Batmans).......

Thanks honey.

BTW. What I have tried at a local self serve car wash is a heated pressure washer and follow up with a soft water spot free rinse so I don't need to wipe anything down. Just wash and drive off. Engine bay and outside.

Funny... but I did appreciate the Porter Cable 7424XP variable speed random orbit polisher advise a few years back. You said it was idiot proof, which is what I needed.

Years back there were several owners who purchased portable filters, I believe Costco had them at the time, similar to this http://tinyurl.com/otwmk6p. They would wash their cars and since there were no mineral deposits left in the water they didn't have to worry about drying their cars or water spots. Like you mentioned above at the local self serve spot free rinse (which I'm sure is more economical than purchasing your own).

I've been purchasing the Korean microfiber no edge towels at the Rag Co.

My engine bay never seems to get too dirty though. I normally spray it with a hose attachment but not my pressure washer. I must say it would be nice to have a portable Spotless Water Deionization System though.

Back