• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

dumb mistake when registering my '97 MCB NSX at the DMV today -put wrong mileage down

Made a dumb mistake registering my 97 NSX recently. I put the wrong mileage down on the back of the title (put my 91 NSX mileage down instead of my 97 NSX, I must have been high or something)... it should have been 67,900 miles... I put down 48k miles instead.

Went to register it at the DMV, and they said they can't accept a hand-corrected mileage number on the back of the title. They would have to have me get the old owner to re-issue the old title again, and then he would have to notorize the new copy so I could put down the correct mileage.

As an alternative, they said I could register it just with the same mileage that the previous title had... around 60k miles. I decided to do that instead of wasting time and starting all over again.

So now the old title issued 10 years ago to prior owner shows 60k miles. And the new title I just got also shows 60k miles, even though it has 67,900 miles on it.
Is that going to be a problem when selling the car later?

Attachments

• Nsxmas 97 NSX1.jpg
    Nsxmas 97 NSX1.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 708
D'Oh! I wish I had your problem, especially a MCB one!

Yes, it's going to be a huge problem. Just sell me your car at a $15k discount now or lose more later!

J/K - I don't think it will be an issue as long as it doesn't show that it's been rolled back on Carfax

Yes, it's going to be a huge problem. Just sell me your car at a $15k discount now or lose more later!

J/K - I don't think it will be an issue as long as it doesn't show that it's been rolled back on Carfax

LOL!!!!

WHEW thanks! I can't believe I made such a dumb mistake. Having more than 1 NSX is really detrimental to your brain health!! :p

So now the old title issued 10 years ago to prior owner shows 60k miles. And the new title I just got also shows 60k miles, even though it has 67,900 miles on it.
Is that going to be a problem when selling the car later?

Very good chance the Carfax reports will pick it up - they work off registration and title transfer events like this.

Any future buyer is going to question it and assume odometer tampering. I would say a huge problem frankly.

I don't think it'll be a problem as long as the new title shows the same or more miles than the old one, which is this case. If they actually allowed you to title it with fewer miles then carfax would probably throw a red flag.

Depending on how registration works they'll just assume you've put 7,900 miles on a car within a year - if they even check. But I think most states don't. There's too much chance for human error for transposing numbers. Heck, this happens all the time on title transfers anyway - and in most cases it's not even the owners fault, it's a data entry error at DMV.

If our super inefficient government were serious about tracking mileage, they'd snap a photo of the ODO & VIN during every annual inspection or emissions testing for those states that require one. But I don't want to give them any ideas.

I don't think it'll be a problem as long as the new title shows the same or more miles than the old one, which is this case. If they actually allowed you to title it with fewer miles then carfax would probably throw a red flag.

Depending on how registration works they'll just assume you've put 7,900 miles on a car within a year - if they even check. But I think most states don't. There's too much chance for human error for transposing numbers. Heck, this happens all the time on title transfers anyway - and in most cases it's not even the owners fault, it's a data entry error at DMV.

If our super inefficient government were serious about tracking mileage, they'd snap a photo of the ODO & VIN during every annual inspection or emissions testing for those states that require one. But I don't want to give them any ideas.

Yea thanks. I agree. I think it would be unusual, but not unheard of, for someone to buy a car, never drive it, and then sell it with pretty much the same miles on it. So I think it should be fine.

I am documenting everything with photos and such, just in case. But I don't think it will be a problem in the long run, because it's only off by 7,900 miles or so over 10 years, not a huge amount.

Waaaait a minute! I was reading on the other thread that they want to keep their NSX's forever. So who cares what the title said! Are you one of those guys:wink:?

they normally put down exempt due to age. but you rpost of the pic of the car you should put the VIN with this thread so this thread matches the date the title with the wrong miles was entered so the next guy will believe you

Agreed. It is just like you bought the car and stored it for ten years! This should not cause any issues with Carfax or any other car checks.

See, that's the point, a "maybe storage story" now starts to justify why the miles didn't accrue during that time frame. The problem isn't Carfax flagging it, it's the next buyer interpreting it.

All I'm sayin' is, as a buyer, when I review a car fax I look for a logical time and mileage progression. In this case it all progresses nicely and then bang! The mileage stops accumulating and 10 years later it's exactly where it was 10 years earlier. The storage story is, I guess, a possibility, but who/why suddenly stores a 60k mile car? Doesn't make sense. My instinct would be it sounds suspiciously like a disconnected speedo, who knows how many miles were really put on the car, all bets off.

Red flag.

I'd be back fighting this at the dmv. Get it fixed.

Last edited:
You could bring the car to an Acura dealer and let them do a simple service like replacing the air filter. It would then get entered in the Carfvcks system with a correct mileage. You could then justify the mistake by the DMV in recording the mileage.

Luke,

I am not saying to hide it. I was just stating for a carfax it would not show up as an "Odometer" problem. I understand your point believe me.

Well, there's another issue when trying to correct the original issue. Chances are when requesting another title from the origin state, the current title has to be destroyed at that point the prior DMV will most likely issue a "duplicate title" which is a way bigger red flag than a simple mileage discrepancy. Not to mention the multiple title changes you'll be going through in the process. That could also raise the calculated owner count.

Personally I'd just leave it. Your honesty is already noted here on Prime if you include your VIN somewhere in this thread just in case someone were to question it.

...I understand your point believe me.

Yeah it sucks, because the DMV, at least here, are not the easiest bureaucrats to do business with. If it's not in the book, they don't know how to handle it. Still, may be worth getting away from the wicket, and try to go t least one rung up the ladder and see what your options are.

Agree with dirtbag documenting it here is a smart idea.

See, that's the point, a "maybe storage story" now starts to justify why the miles didn't accrue during that time frame. The problem isn't Carfax flagging it, it's the next buyer interpreting it.

All I'm sayin' is, as a buyer, when I review a car fax I look for a logical time and mileage progression. In this case it all progresses nicely and then bang! The mileage stops accumulating and 10 years later it's exactly where it was 10 years earlier. The storage story is, I guess, a possibility, but who/why suddenly stores a 60k mile car? Doesn't make sense. My instinct would be it sounds suspiciously like a disconnected speedo, who knows how many miles were really put on the car, all bets off.

Red flag.

I'd be back fighting this at the dmv. Get it fixed.

+1

That's a huge turn off for an educated buyer.... You see a red flag for mileage discrepancy and almost immediately skip to the next ad...you def need to get this sorted out with the dmv.

Okay, so here are the possibilities when going through a correction process, I guess you'll have to work with both DMV's to make absolutely sure - for example if the previous state DMV want your current state DMV to destroy/forfeit the title so they can re-issue the original states title, then you run the chance of a duplicate title reissued. I have no idea how else to re-assign a title to the prior state and back to the new state when you're the current title holder not residing in the other state. Even then you have a chance of getting a washed title false-positive. I'd probably take the least damaging route (for example, title issues could deduct more points versus mileage discrepancies or so on, but if you can get away with only a "motor vehicle dept" mark without getting titles re-issued, then do that)... But I think as it stands, you shouldn't be hit with a mileage inconsistency as per their description.

Make absolutely sure you do not encounter a duplicate title situation. Some states have the power 'if' the original title was found it overrides the duplicated title, so your car can be taken away from you if they prove it was at some point a fraudulent transfer even if you are a current valid title holder. I know in your case this couldn't happen because the original title was turned into DMV by yourself - but if someone sees a "duplicate title" on a carfax or autocheck, they generally run very fast.

Mileage Inconsistency — If an odometer reading is less than a previous reading but CARFAX is uncertain whether the discrepancy is a rollback or a clerical error, then CARFAX calls it a "Mileage Inconsistency". In this case, you should verify the mileage with your dealer or a qualified mechanic.

Motor Vehicle Dept. — Motor Vehicle Departments issue both titles and registrations to vehicle owners. Each title or registration record on a CARFAX report does not necessarily indicate a change in ownership. New titles and registrations can be created for name, address and lien holder changes; ownership changes; vehicle status changes; registration activity; title corrections; and lost titles.

Duplicate Title
The vehicle had a duplicate title issued by the DMV. A duplicate title is sometimes issued because the vehicle’s original title is missing.

Corrected Title
The State DMV has issued a corrected title for the vehicle. Corrected title is defined differently depending on the state. In some states, a corrected title will be issued for removing or adding an owner’s name due to divorce, death or marriage. In other states, details about the vehicle, such as incorrect odometer readings, can result in a corrected title being issued. A corrected title can also be issued when a lien is placed on the vehicle’s title.

Personally, I've seen many titles where the mileage hasn't changed across several owners, simply because they're too lazy to fill in the field, and the folks at the DMV don't care, or it's a not required field due to vehicle age (exempt). Do you have a current carfax? Does it list dealer maintenance at mileage, or just date? If someone is going to go through the headache of odometer fraud by disconnecting the cable, they're going to make it a little more realistic than simply transferring over exact mileage numbers from the original title.

I put more faith in physical documents or Fuelly than reading carfax's. At least if someone takes the time of populating a Fuelly with maintenance and fillup intervals - then it shows their character. I don't have much faith in government clerical work.

Back