• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

California drought solutions for automotive cleaning

With the drought continuing, our care car is growing less and less. I found a reasonably priced solution. A 2000 psi pressure washer.
Picked this guy up at Home Depot for 200$ and it does extremely well for an electric model. It is light, very very quiet, and does the job well. Best of all, it only uses 1.2 gallons per minute. Ideal for the coming California months where utilities will be imposing fines on water usage.

My driveway is very steep and after wetting, spraying on the soap, then rinsing again, water never even made it to the end of my driveway. A clear advantage of water savings. Plus I never had to touch the car. The unit sprayed on the soap. Say good by to buckets! All I need now is a leaf blower to dry it, "idea from Jose".
I decided to clean my fences today with it. Coupled with hot water from my water heater, check out the before and after picture. The unit is so quiet, you hear the pressure of the outlet over the motor itself. It's 2000 psi.

View attachment 124319View attachment 124320View attachment 124321

Last edited:
Make sure you get an electric blower instead of the gas powered ones.

I recommend looking into the metro Air Force blaster.

Make sure you get an electric blower instead of the gas powered ones.

I recommend looking into the metro Air Force blaster.
I was thinking of getting a 40 volt cordless blower. Do those work well?

lol just take is for a spin up after the a soft water rinse up to 80ish on the highway and you'll only need to do the jambs and rear bumper ;)

I've tried a good number of these water-less wash solution on my truck (the test mule) and found that this is the best when it comes to cleaning and least amount of scratches:

4687_lg.jpg

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Meguiar-s-Ultimate-Wash-and-Wax-Anywhere/23565889

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Meguiars-G3...963?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51d1d112d3

• Safely cleans more dirt than a spray detailer, while leaving hydrophobic wax protection!
• Cost effective: 1 bottle will wash & wax 3 - 5 average cars

Last edited:
optimum no rinse is great, I used to use it in NYC when I didn't have access to a hose. I'd take a gallon jug of water to the garage & do my washing there.

In my area odd numbered houses (me) can water the lawn on tuesdays and saturdays. So if its a weekend and i would like to wash my car, I park my car on the lawn and water my lawn with the hose. Just so happens some of the water gets on the car, hehe.I all honesty, i've actually cut my water usage by 50% since 2014 so I think im doing very well for the drought. And I still have a green (ish) lawn...

Back