• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

For those using the Audio-Technica ATR-3350IS external Mic with GoPro4 Hero

For you guys who are using the Audio-Technica ATR-3350IS with a Gopro4 hero to record track footage, here's my advice. Cut the stupid battery powered switch out of the line and splice the lines back together. You don't need it to record audio and it will eventually break. My mic stop working the other day so before I decided to buy another microphone setup I decided to see what would happen if I got rid of the switch and low and behold it works perfect. No more having to remember to switch it on before runs. It just always working.

As proof here is a video I made using that mic taped to the inside of my rear bumper. Sounds great and no need to for me to switch it on anymore or buy more batteries to replace.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/nOKm86dXwjU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
Does that mean that if the batteries are dead the mic does not work anymore?
Do you have a picture of the final result?
Thanks

Yeah i got the adapter cable and 5m cable extension, i was wondering how to route it between the front of the cabin (where the gopro is in his video) and underneath the rear bumper...

Does that mean that if the batteries are dead the mic does not work anymore?
Do you have a picture of the final result?
Thanks

HDA not exactly sure if it would still record with a dead battery. I'm assuming it will not work with a dead battery (my issues wasn't a battery I actually put a new one in and it still didn't record audio. I believe moisture caused a short in the little circuit board inside the switch housing). Do you mean a picture of it installed or a picture of the spliced wire? I don't have a picture of either at the moment but could take one of the spliced wire later on tonight.

Sounds good, how did you route the mic cable to the gopro ? I'll try a similar setup.

I ran the wire under the rubber window gasket that sits in front of the passenger side B pillar, then under the B Pillar covers to the rear hatch, I run the wire through the hatch and into the trunk. I then run the wire into the antenna water drain outlet located just under the antenna, and then from there I run it over around the perimeter of the car and tape the microphone to the inside of the rear bumper. You do get some wind noise in this setup. The better location is really just under the center light panel on the outside. You get almost no wind noise at that location.

Last edited:
I have the same mic.

How I set up mine:
Input mic jack is routed to the center console and hidden when not in use
Ran the wire under the carpet and behind the panels between the firewall
Pass through a rubber grommet by cutting a small hole going into the engine bay
Used wire protector / organizer in the engine bay and routed it along the passenger side
Pass through a rubber grommet from the engine bay into the trunk on the passenger side
Ran the wire under the trunk carpet into the foam tool tray
The mic switch stays in the foam tray even when in use
When I use the mic, I only pull out the mic's head and run the wire out from the trunk or through the hole where the license plate bulbs holes are
I use the foam ball and twisty tie it tight on the mic's tip so it doesn't fall off and reduce wind noise
I use painter's tape and tape the mic's head on the bumper near one of the exhaust tips and avoid a clear path of air to reduce wind noise
I use the suction mount of my GoPro into the rear window

Last edited:
Back