• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Hood options to lower temperatures under the hood

HDA

Experienced Member
As the title says, my goal is to lower the temperatures under the hood.

One of the options is the type-r style hood: if mother Honda used it on the Type R it means that it works! I have no real data on temperature differences though.

11199nsx_2-19_002.jpg

Another options is the CW style but I have no idea if it is functional or not.
seibonnsxcwhood3.jpg

The third option is very similar to the CW above, called TT by Seibon. I have yet to see / hear one NSX running this setup and I am really questioning the functionality of this design.

41VWrhsUhBL._SX300_.jpg

I am really debating whether I should bother with a hood or just install an aluminum radiator and keep it OEM. I am not a big fan of these hoods anyways.
Thanks for any input you can give

Are you tracking the car hard? if not why bother unless its for looks it does help with the temp and hopefully a lot with some form of downforce.
I suppose it does depend a lot on your useage and how hot you get her, you can see and feel the heat coming out of my R replica

Last edited:
I do track the car + texas weather (although lately we needed umbrellas more than hoods) = high temps!

I already noticed improvements when I removed the front spare wheel, I guess that alone helps to circulate more air.

Hot temperatures freak me out...

Running a turbo and occasionally tracking the car. Also uncomfortable with higher engine temps so running both a type R hood, duct, and the thick Driving Ambition aluminum radiator. Water and oil temp on track after 30 minutes in 85 degree outdoor temp with no issues

@HDA if the CW hood is going to be functional then it will need a vent like the Type R one. I don't know the size of each vent, but if the dimensions combined equal a substantial amount of square inch then I can see it being effective. If the square inch combined is less then the Type R vent then it is pointless to run it. The best vent I have seen for that style hood was built by a metal worker.
larry_chen_speedhunters_twins_turbo_toyota_supra-7-800x533.jpg

larry_chen_speedhunters_twins_turbo_toyota_supra-13-800x533.jpg

the car is designed to have enough air flow to keep car in normal operating temp. the NSX-r Hood was designed for track use.

now if what I suspect is your true reason to get the temp down is your a/c blowers foam gaskets are bad and warm air is blowing in your cabin when driving. if this is the case then take blower out replace all the foam gaskets.

if im wrong then oh well have been wrong before LOL

pm hrant he did some extensive track testing with vented hood to keep temps down

If you want to lower temps under the hood, a simple way is to block off the A/C condensers while on the track. Even if you are not using A/C on the track, it will (in general) decrease the pressure behind the radiator by decreasing the front wheel-well pressure, turbulence, and leakage that eventually makes it underneath the front. There are other benefits too, like reduced front-end floating at speeds over 100MPH, as well as protecting your condensers on the track from debris.

I have the CW style above, but with the vents cut out to really open up the flow area. Basically, my aftermarket radiator fan exhausts under the hood (car), but the sides of the radiator have ducting to match my cut-out CW style hood like jones83 posted. The ducted area represents roughly half of my PWR radiator flow area that way.

Those mods may be a little more than some would like to do, so it is really hard to go wrong with the Type R replicas....

Dave

pm hrant he did some extensive track testing with vented hood to keep temps down

Thanks!

If you want to lower temps under the hood, a simple way is to block off the A/C condensers while on the track. Even if you are not using A/C on the track, it will (in general) decrease the pressure behind the radiator by decreasing the front wheel-well pressure, turbulence, and leakage that eventually makes it underneath the front. There are other benefits too, like reduced front-end floating at speeds over 100MPH, as well as protecting your condensers on the track from debris. Dave

That's a great idea, I did not think about the A/C condensers! I need to find plates to block them.

Since you have the CW style hood you are saying that, as it comes from Seibon, it is not efficient at cooling things down and needs to be modified to open it up?

Even for the Supra that I posted I don't particularly like the angle of the vents for the hood. They are far less aggressive in spacing and angle than I would want them to be.

SOS used to sell the standard size and "racing" type. Does anyone know what the larger one was called? SOS only offers the OEM type now.

Back