• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Sears Point/Sonoma Raceway June 6th 2015

Event: Trackmasters / Speedventures HPDE Saturday, 6, June 2015

This should be a well attended event with a healthy helping of fast, track prepped cars & drivers from Northern & Southern California.

This will likely be my last track day until NSXPO in October as my car will be going back into Driving Ambition for some highly antisipated upgrades.

I've got a paddock garage reserved so anyone in the area, come on out and say hello. Watch this space for event pics and in-car video after the weekend.

Hope to see some felow Primers out at the track.

Sears Point / Sonoma Raceway 06/06/2015

Another great weekend at Sears Point with Trackmasters & Speed Ventures.

When these two clubs get together it always guarentees a competitive event between Northern California & Southern California track rats. I did my part to hold serve on our home court with a very competitive Red/A1 Advanced Group of Porsche GT3's, BMW GT3's and the new Corvette Z06/7's! The weather was perfect with a cool morning, warming up nicely in the afternoon sessions creating optimul track conditions in the 3rd session after the lunch break. That turned out to be the perfect formula for me as I had planned to switch to my new BFG R1S's after lunch.

Prior to this event I had never clocked myself in under 1:50xx at Sears Point. With optimal track conditions and new sticker softs, I was able to easily lap into the 1:48xx's. My 24yr. old vintage ricer was able to keep all the Porsches and anything else with a license plate, including several new Corvette C7 Z07's behind me.

This was the first time I'd encountered the new Z06/7 on the track and I came away with mixed feelings. It's a brutally powerful and very impressive car, but IMO, its still too big, too bloated and too heavy to be seriously competitive at Sears Point. There were two of them running in the Red Advanced Group and the drivers were clearly not up to the task of managing that beast thru the technical sections at Sears Point. I'm sure in the hands of an experienced driver they would be able to exploit its strengths better, but at 3500+ lbs. it's just too fat to be taken seriously. I'd take a Caymen GT4 or used GT3 over it all day.

Lots of variety on track including C6 ZR1's, Camaro Z28's, Cadillac's, Viper GTS's, Ferrari 458 Spider, and the usual glut of BMW GT3 race cars and Porsche GT3's. My car ran strong all day without so much as a hiccup thanks to the much appreciated prep of Shad/Driving Ambition and my talented and under appreciated pit crew of Roman (Solidol) and my amazing girlfriend. Lots of pics to share below. In-car video will be uploaded soon.

Last edited:
It's great to still see someone representing the NSX on track days. Back in the days, we would get 8-10 NSX out at each event. Good times!

Impressive lap time. I look forward to some videos of your 24 year old Honda keeping Porsche GT3's / Corvette C7's at bay. I'll even give you bottle of champagne if you can beat a well driven 458 on video :)

Impressive lap time. I look forward to some videos of your 24 year old Honda keeping Porsche GT3's / Corvette C7's at bay. I'll even give you bottle of champagne if you can beat a well driven 458 on video :)
Can't say I blame you for being skeptical, after all this is the internet, but quite frankly you can keep your champagne. I've got hours of in-car video harassing GT3's, Z06's, various F-Cars, Vipers, Bimmers, Audi's etc etc at Sears Pt. Some with well seasoned drivers, some not. Sears Pt is my home track. the only cars out there I did not have an answer for were two BMW GT3 race cars (on race slicks) and Armando's 500 whp /2200 lb. 3.5L twin turbo NSX on Hoosiers A6/R6 tires. They were running 2sec. faster than me. There were 7 GT3's out there, with 5 running in the Red/Advanced group with me, running nose to tail all day. I lined up behind them every session and made quick work of them. Don't beleive me? I can live with that. You live around the corner, you should have come out to see for yourself.

Last edited:
Can't say I blame you for being skeptical, after all this is the internet, but quite frankly you can keep your champagne. I've got hours of in-car video harassing GT3's, Z06's, various F-Cars, Vipers, Bimmers, Audi's etc etc at Sears Pt. Some with well seasoned drivers, some not. Sears Pt is my home track. the only cars out there I did not have an answer for were two BMW GT3 race cars (on race slicks) and Armando's 500 whp /2200 lb. 3.5L twin turbo NSX on Hoosiers A6/R6 tires. They were running 2sec. faster than me. There were 7 GT3's out there, with 5 running in the Red/Advanced group with me, running nose to tail all day. I lined up behind them every session and made quick work of them. Don't beleive me? I can live with that. You live around the corner, you should have come out to see for yourself.

Not sure how I came across skeptical, I've seen your videos and am happy you're showing the nsx is still relevant in 2015. It's the F cars that I would like to see beaten, since I have to deal with them buzzing around my town all day long. I hope Armando posts some videos as well, and I hope to come watch the next track day as I am indeed your neighbor.

I'm also curious what your highly anticpated upgrades are from Shad will be.

Last edited:
Not sure how I came across skeptical, I've seen your videos and am happy you're showing the nsx is still relevant in 2015. It's the F cars that I would like to see beaten, since I have to deal with them buzzing around my town all day long. I hope Armando posts some videos as well, and I hope to come watch the next track day as I am indeed your neighbor.

I'm also curious what your highly anticpated upgrades are from Shad will be.

Sorry Tai, (lost in translation) Its still 100 deg here and my brain is starting to cook. I usually get a fair share of attitude from the GT3 guys at the track which is why I go out of my way to crush their egos. At one point on Saturday, after carving thru 4 GT3's running nose to tail, I even slowed down, let all 4 pass me, and went after them again...:tongue: I love those cars, its the owners I have the issues with. They think their king-$#it alpha-dogs so I am compelled to crush them at any opportunity, over and over and over again until they cry uncle.:cool:

I'm working on the video from Saturday. I just started using a Hans device and due to the restricted movement, I had problems all day turning the camera on. Fortunately, the only session that filmed was the one I set my FTD on . I was in hot pursuit of Armando and was actually making time on him. Watch this space for that video. :biggrin:

Great read. That must have been a blast. I was hoping to be at that event but couldn't make it. Your car looks awesome. 1:48.6 is a great time. Do you have video? What a fun (and unforgiving) track!! I ran my first weekend there two years ago and was able to get into the 1:51's on Nitto NT01's. I would love to try some stickier tires to see if I can get my car below 1:50.

I'll be up at Laguna Seca on the 26th running with Speedventures. Will you be there?

I'll be up at Laguna Seca on the 26th running with Speedventures. Will you be there?
Are you going up on the 26th? Will you stay thru to the 28th? I'm back in LA on the 26th. Get the car prepped. Driving up on the 27th.

I'm 95% sure my car will pass the 105db requirement now. I ordered some additional parts but need to fit them on the 26th.

Great read. That must have been a blast. I was hoping to be at that event but couldn't make it. Your car looks awesome. 1:48.6 is a great time. What a fun (and unforgiving) track!! I ran my first weekend there two years ago and was able to get into the 1:51's on Nitto NT01's. I would love to try some stickier tires to see if I can get my car below 1:50.
Thanks Ryneen,
Sears Pt. is all about set-up, mechanical grip and downforce. I'd been flirting with 1:50xx out there for years and been getting very discouraged. I've tried Nitto NT01's, Toyo R88's, Hoosier R6's and have come ever so close to breaking the 1:49xx barrier but no cigar. Finally, on the harder BFG R1 I nailed a 1:49xx in the second morning session. Then I switched to my new BFG R1S's and Bingo! I was able to click off 1:48's with reletive ease. I definitely found some pace out there that I think I can build on. This was on a less than ideal aero set-up. With my GT-One wing and a front splitter, I think there's more time to gain. On top of that, Shad says the new Hoosier R7 is 2sec. faster than the BFG R1S...:cool:

Do you have video?
Yes, but only of one black flagged shortened session, but it should be good because I'm chasing Armando's twin turbo NSX race car and lapping in the 1:48xx's. Should be up in the next couple days. Watch this space.

This was my last event for the summer. I don't enjoy tracking in the heat and niether does my car. My next event is NSXPO, hopefully with some highly antisipated upgrades. Who's going?

- - - Updated - - -

Go Berto Go! Give that man a cookie:smile:
Will race for cookies :biggrin:

Last edited:
Are you going up on the 26th? Will you stay thru to the 28th? I'm back in LA on the 26th. Get the car prepped. Driving up on the 27th.

I'm 95% sure my car will pass the 105db requirement now. I ordered some additional parts but need to fit them on the 26th.

Hi Regan,
I'm driving up Friday morning with the wife and kids. We are staying in Carmel. I'll be running Sat/Sun. I can run my Taitech GTLW with high flow cats and pass 105. I might be able to pass without cats. 105 is pretty damn load from 80 feet away. I'm super stoked you are going. What days are you running? Where are you staying?

Hi Regan,
I'm driving up Friday morning with the wife and kids. We are staying in Carmel. I'll be running Sat/Sun. I can run my Taitech GTLW with high flow cats and pass 105. I might be able to pass without cats. 105 is pretty damn load from 80 feet away. I'm super stoked you are going. What days are you running? Where are you staying?
Hi Ryan,

I texted you back! See you there!

Video!

Session 3 chasing Armando's 2200lb. / 500whp twin turbo 3.5L NSX racecar.
Sub 1:49 laps interrupted by black flag due to someone laying a nice oil slick down in the T6 Carrousel.
Video editing by Solidol.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/kzdFAtICNLc?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Ryan,

I texted you back! See you there!
You two literally need to get a room :tongue:

There's room for you and Roman ;)
Careful, you poke the bear, and the bear might have to make a special trip to Laguna and make you his bitch, or just pretend you're another GT3 :eek::wink:

Last edited:
Session 3 chasing Armando's 2200lb. / 500whp twin turbo 3.5L NSX racecar.
Sub 1:49 laps interrupted by black flag due to someone laying a nice oil slick down in the T6 Carrousel.
Video editing by Solidol.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/kzdFAtICNLc?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

- - - Updated - - -

You two literally need to get a room :tongue:

Very nice!
I'm surprised to see how nervously the steering wheel reacts?
Is this due to the Trophy bars or is it simply the perfect balance between under and oversteer?

Very nice!
Is this due to the Trophy bars or is it simply the perfect balance between under and oversteer?
Thanks, Old habits die hard. It comes from my years tracking/racing a rear engine 911. Always making minute corrections.

Very nice!

To be honest it does not look that nervous to me, remember this is a manual rack and will look and feel very different to an assisted rack on the track. All bumps will be translated to the wheel and not muted by the assist system. Add to that some sticky tires and a guy who is trying and that is what you will get. What I see is a bumpy track and a tight steering and suspension setup relaying those bumps to the driver and some good driving.

1K2GO - You needed two more laps to reel him in. Looks like a blast but that track does not have a lot of run off. Looks like a perfect NSX track, always turning.

Dave

To be honest it does not look that nervous to me, remember this is a manual rack and will look and feel very different to an assisted rack on the track. All bumps will be translated to the wheel and not muted by the assist system. Add to that some sticky tires and a guy who is trying and that is what you will get. What I see is a bumpy track and a tight steering and suspension setup relaying those bumps to the driver and some good driving.

1K2GO - You needed two more laps to reel him in. Looks like a blast but that track does not have a lot of run off. Looks like a perfect NSX track, always turning.

Dave

You are right Dave, it's a combination of pushing hard combined with a few bumps.
I checked one of my own videos and my steering wheel also moves also a lot as you can see at 3'20.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBzM8NUA_ng
Sonoma looks like a fine track where handling is more important than power.
I personally prefer faster tracks as the NSX is a bit heavy to get around tight corners in my view...

What I see is a bumpy track and a tight steering and suspension setup relaying those bumps to the driver and some good driving.

Dave
Sears Point / Sonoma Raceway is an NSX track. It is essentially one continues radius. Inevitably, every weekend, some poor SOB finds the wall or tire barriers. This weekend was no different. It's usually a 911 with an inexperienced Sears Pt driver. Adding insult to injury, the emergency crew usually deposits the wreck right at the entrance of the track for all to see as if to warn the noobs that this track can and will punish you if you get it wrong.

When you're in the heat of battle, you never really have time to check gauges or check in with your passenger. Because of this I am very selective of who I allow in the car with me on track. In the second morning session, I made the mistake of allowing my poor girlfriend to ride along. She had to endure 20min. of heated battle with the GT3 mafia and I had no time to check in with her. According to the in-car video, she passed out after about 4 laps and was a rag doll for the rest of the session:eek::eek::eek: Needless to say, that video will never be published. I'm just grateful she survived and is still accepting my calls.:redface:

Haha thats brilliant. when I take my wife out I have to take it down a few notches or I come in with bruised ribs

Haha thats brilliant. when I take my wife out I have to take it down a few notches or I come in with bruised ribs
As a rule, when I have a passenger onboard, I keep it below 8/10ths, but when I found myself behind a gaggle of GT3's in a target rich environment, I got a bad case of target fixation and set some of my fastest times of the day. My poor GF spent the rest of the day napping in the paddock garage and running back and forth to the women's room.
I'm hoping I'll be out of the doghouse and she will be over it by October so we can make the 500mi treck south to NSXPO together...:sorrow:

My poor GF spent the rest of the day napping in the paddock garage and running back and forth to the women's room.
I'm hoping I'll be out of the doghouse and she will be over it by October so we can make the 500mi treck south to NSXPO together...:sorrow:

I have found the the quickest cure to an ailment that I caused is a trip to the Jewelry Store. A few Suggestions: (Stay away from the rings until after NSXPO, that is the real test)
http://www.tiffany.com/shopping/CategoryBrowse.aspx?cid=578594&omcid=G38335-VQ14-73448576&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=01%2BBranded%2BNew%2B-%2BExact&utm_term=tiffany%27s%2Bjewelry-VQ14-73448576-Gifts%2BUnder%2B$500&gclid=Cj0KEQjw-46sBRD7x6P0stibwbsBEiQAoMi4ZlvAv8G7V6PHsBPEw8ERDQKM9mUDymZpIgPBnrLTWtIaAgir8P8HAQ#p+1-n+10000-c+578594-s+5-r+-t+-ni+1-x+-pu+-f+-lr+-hr+-ri+-mi+-pp+

Just be happy that you did not have to spend a session or two cleaning your passenger seat and dash, that is no fun. I always tell a passenger, if you think you feel sick, or might get sick, or thought for a second you would get sick just tap my hand and I will drop down to a nice sunday drive speed and drop you in the pits.

Dave

Back