• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Wheel/Tire Advice

I am possibly purchasing a set of Advan RS-D's. I've scrolled through the recent big wheel/Tire thread but it got really technical and heated and just stopped following.

From what I gathered though, 18's all around are not preferred. 17/18 without a lip and 18/19 with lips. Subjective but right?

As this is not my daily driver, I'd like some type of aggressive yet conservative stance if that makes any sense. Chicago area roads can be bad in spots so I still prefer not to be rolling on rubber bands.

2004 on stock suspension and probably will keep it stock.

What wheel/Tire set up do you recommend and if you want to post a pic for reference that'd be great.

Thank you

Soooo Advan RS-D's....17/18?

Stock suspension. Mayyyy lower in the future but want to make sure it still looks OK either way.

Here is my 03 with Advan RZ-DF 18/19.
I'm lowered on KW v3's.IMG_0055 (1).jpg

Wow that looks really good.
I feel though if I don't lower it 18/19 will look out of place no?

Here is a pic of my first set of 18/19's work termist TM-1 with stock suspension.IMG_1836.jpg
They are almost the same specs as my Advan's

^Thanks. I know you're on an incline but still gives me a good idea of how 18/19 definately needs to be lowered.

Why are you doing this at all? Sounds like you want to stay somewhat conservative, aren't going to lower the car. Anything aftermarket without being lowered will look funny and 18/19 will look positively ridiculous. You're going to remove the factory 02+ wheels, which are possibly the best design out there period in a 17, and going to put on a smaller Looking RS-D because you're shortening the spoke lengths due to the lip... And if you go dark or black you'll make them smaller looking still. In the rear you'll have an 18" with OEM brakes, and those rotors will look positively tiny and lost in there. You'll not improve performance or ride in any way, you'll just spend money. So I'm wondering why....

There are so many other things you can do to make a car look better. I kept my OEM 02 wheels even after suspension, brakes, spacers, and all sorts of body mods like the R wing and hood. It looked fantastic. Everyone here is dying to get their hands on the OEM 02+ wheel and you are removing yours. If you're going to do that it's fine but it should happen with a lot of supporting mods and with something not so conservative IMO.

- - - Updated - - -

I would throw some bilsteins on and some spacers. 15mm front and 25mm rear. Lower the car about an inch. Like Brylek's car... Swap out the front lip with a JP aero, unplug the antenna motor, and be done. Take the car to an autocross event if you want where you can safely enjoy the speed a little.

- - - Updated - - -

And if I was buying wheels I would much rather stay with forged like the factory wheels and get them with a custom NSX center bore like the factory and that means BC racing. Brandon sells wheels for as little as $2500/set delivered. And they have some nice looking moniblocks now. Light, strong, and a fit without rings and soacers at a reasonable price. With a ton of finish choices. I don't know what people still buy some of these other wheels honestly.

- - - Updated - - -

I took this crappy pic with my iPhone fully zoomed in through the restaurant glass yesterday. Car has a great stance but I'm just posting for you to see how flush wheels look.

B8911F63-DD06-42DF-9AB1-E843BC50A811_zpsstyeqgut.jpg

Hey I'm just asking for opinions. That's all.
No need to get all pissy about my potential intentions if it's not the way you want it to look.
I appreciate your constructive criticism and most of it is taken with good intention.

I do agree with you that the stock 02+ are amazing and the spring/spacer look is not ruled out in my book. I've had the spring/spacer/wheel setup on my G, and previous Acura CL so I am very familiar.

I am not trying to beat around the bush and go cheap or look ridiculous.
By conservative I just mean I don't want to run around in rubberbands trying to avoid a blowout from the 10,000,000 potholes this city has.
Also wanted to see what set up looked good with/without springs just in case I chose to leave stock or lower it in the future.
You all have the experience so I am seeing what makes the most sense, while still being left at personal preference.

Wheels are completely a subjective opinion. Some have their personal preference and it's usually conveyed with what that individual currently has, which typically translates into "best" or in their own mind anyways.

Stock 02 wheels are nice but some dislike them. All personal taste. Mostly every car looks more aggressive and "better" lower but again taste.

If you are driving on bad roads just be careful no matter if you're on 17/18 or 18/19. Make sure to get a proper staggered setup too. Some do work well with varying widths but do research on your offsets to not be surprised since some post Nsx sizing but really aren't ideal. Angus has a great thread floating around.

I like the Advan rsd wheels though. One of my friends has a set in Maryland in 18/19

Hey I'm just asking for opinions. That's all.
No need to get all pissy about my potential intentions if it's not the way you want it to look.
I appreciate your constructive criticism and most of it is taken with good intention.

I do agree with you that the stock 02+ are amazing and the spring/spacer look is not ruled out in my book. I've had the spring/spacer/wheel setup on my G, and previous Acura CL so I am very familiar.

I am not trying to beat around the bush and go cheap or look ridiculous.
By conservative I just mean I don't want to run around in rubberbands trying to avoid a blowout from the 10,000,000 potholes this city has.
Also wanted to see what set up looked good with/without springs just in case I chose to leave stock or lower it in the future.
You all have the experience so I am seeing what makes the most sense, while still being left at personal preference.

I apologize if my reply came across as pissy, certainly wasn't my intention, just internet I guess.

I do think if you want to avoid the rubber band tires you're going to have to stay 17/18 and if you do, it's tough to beat the look of the OEM 02+ wheel. So why not keep it, space it, and lower the car just a hair. Nothing drastic. I think aftermarket wheels at stock ride heights look bad. But of course all this stuff is personal.

Funniest thing I've seen in awhile. Thanks for making my day!

LOL that's why I said it will look ridiculous. :D

It's cool that 03raw took the photo at the time for some good reference.

That pic was pretty funny.

Turbo - you mentioned 15mm spacer front and 25mm back. Any reason why not 25mm all around?

Reason I ask is my G has 20mm all around and I think looks pretty good. Lowered about 2" and no rubbing at all.

20 is a lot up front and you may rub depending on how low you are but I suppose on gbe right setup you could. You are messing with steering geometry up front though, so I would keep the front more conservative. 15mm also clears all big brake kits.

i got volk ce-28n's,which i think are the best-looking wheels for an nsx for my personal taste.they are pricey but super-light,so even when you upsize from stock 16/17's to 17/18's as i did,you still save 3-4 lb. per corner.this is unsprung weight,the best kind to save.my car is na,so i didn't want to lose any performance just for looks.i think these wheels are even a bit lighter than your wheels,which were my second choice,but i'm not positive.
as for lowering,i had planned not to,but ended up with some moderate lowering on tein s-techs on the advice of some very knowledgeable folks.they retain close to stock ride and handling characteristics.
for tires i did yoko s.drives in 215/40-17 and 265/35-18,which are amazingly high performance for their category.tire selection is something to keep in mind when committing to a set of expensive wheels,and i felt i was gambling that decent ones will be available down the road.this is addressed in the helpful forward-looking big wheel thread you referred to.
i have been happy with all this,especially as to how it looks.the ride is a bit harsher than i would like,and i am playing with lower tire pressures.
i am in chapel hill,curious whether your screen name is referring to the university here.

^ Thanks for the comments.

Yep been a huge fan of unc basketball since I was little. Talked my parents into letting me tattoo ramses on my leg when I was 15. Go heels!

Save your money on the wheels and just go bilstiens on lower perch with some spacers...and you'll be loving it...friends don't let friends drive stock height:tongue:

If you wanna spend money, go with some coil overs like the ones mentioned...

Last edited:
^leaning more and more towards that because I like the stock wheels so much.

I have experience with h&r springs and spacers without issues in current and prior cars. Any known bad experiences that this company and our cars?

I just ordered some.... I have the bilsteins with stock springs on lower perch right now, but am switching to the H&R springs on upper perch to get about 3/4 inch lower... Can't wait!!!

or just spend a little extra. 2K can get you a set of KW V3 adjustable coilovers. It's an 05 NSX. It deserves at least that. They ride and perform great. That and your 15/20 or 15/25 spacers will keep the car OEM but look even better. OEM+

I was originally thinking H&R springs + 15/25 spacers on stock shocks.

The more I drive around this pothole forsaken state, I am leaning more towards stock springs / bilstein on lower perch / 15/25 spacers.

I think they will still change the appearance enough to look right.

You really shouldn't get 18"/19" (or 18"/18") wheels, since you're concerned about damage from potholed roads. Their short sidewalls make them susceptible to such damage. Also, the best-performing tires (the "extreme performance" tires) don't come in those sizes for an NSX. Stick to one of these combinations for any year NSX:

17"/18": 215/40-17 and either 255/35-18 or 265/35-18
17"/17": 215/40-17 and 255/40-17
16"/17": either 205/45-16 or 215/45-16, and either 245/40-17 or 255/40-17

P.S. You really don't need spacers. The car looks and performs just fine without them. Don't waste your money.

Have to agree with Ken, forget 18/19 if you're worried about ride. Also agree more grippy tires are available although I think most of these tires in the extreme performance category or too hard core for someone that doesn't track the car. You'll most likely NEVER see a benefit on the street, but you'll put up with constant road noise, a harsher ride, and much worse wear.

I disagree on the spacers. They completely change the look of the car. When I went from stock suspension to slightly lowered with soacers people's reactions were vastly different. I'm not saying that attention is good but clearly everyone saw the car differently. I wondered if it was even the same car.

I also think your spring rates with something like a KW V3 at 350# rates really improve the handling and they hardly change your ride quality. In fact having been in a car with Bilsteins and OEM springs and also with V3's I'd say they ride about the same or I would even give the edge to the KW's. It's just a superior damper. They have a lot to do with the ride quality. As much as or more than the springs. If you have the OEM spaghetti sway bars, which you do, then you can really benefit from a bit higher spring rate. You won't know how much lean the car has in corners until it's gone. Or how responsive the steering can be until you get what makes it so. I've been on prime a long time and I started out like you. I tried a lot of things with people's advice who knew more than me. Everything I'm posting here is absolutely from first hand experience on and off the track. IMHO you are better off with a slightly stiffer suspension and less hardcore tires. I think the tire has SO MUCH to do with it and I fully get that now because I'm riding on pilot super sports that are just fantastic with ride, noise, wet weather, and wear. Yes there are gripper tires out there but I'm on a suspension that is on 800 pound springs up front and 550 pounds rear. Quality dampers and I have a great ride. What makes your ride bad are tires with these ultra stiff sidewalls. I'm honestly not sure what is available outside extreme performance in 17/18 anymore. I haven't followed. But the extremes are all designed for the guy that goes to the track on weekends and doesn't want to go to slicks.

It's important to make the point here.... Half the guys on this forum run these and so did I. I've ran the hardcore bridgestones, falkens, Dunlop start specs, Yokohama AD08's, Nitto NT01 R comps. I honestly feel most of these are more "feel good" tires than a real, actual benefit. Because they give up way too much on the street, and require a very skilled and experienced driver to shine on the track. Billy Johnson was talking to me once and said "be honest with yourself. Will you really be faster on a harder core tire than the pilot super sport?". And he was right.... Going to the extreme is... Well... Extreme. I'm rambling but if it was my car it would be a set of KW v3's instead of the Bilsteins and stock springs, soacers, and something less hardcore than extreme performance tires. Eventually I would add a type R front sway bar. I think for you that setup is perfect.

Appreciate all the info.

My decision was made and ordered today.
Bilsteins (going on lower perch) with 15/25mm spacers. I've seen tons of pics with this setup and I think will be perfect for me and the roads we have here.
As for tires, I have brand new Bridgestone Potenza re 040's and while I am not too familiar with them, they seem to ride pretty well. No real road noise and grip is OK.

I have had spacers on 2 different cars and my current car. I disagree also that it totally changes the cars stance for the better.
Here is my G on Eibach springs and 20mm front/rear spacers. Huge difference. Love the look.

Back