• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Shady SoCal Mechanic

Unfortunately, this is well beyond poor workmanship. This is about charging people for work/parts that were not done. It is being dishonest and simply stealing from people.

I too have read many positive reviews before getting him to work on my car. So I guess we were being had selectively. It was the third job (most expensive) that was amiss, but it did take me awhile to verify and confirm that the parts weren't replaced. Let's just say that it was covered/hidden very well. I'd bet some of the pictures we received showing the progress for the jobs were not even for our cars.

As a Prime member who does work on others cars here, I must say that I do any and everything I can to make sure that my customer (and usually I consider them friends) is completely satisfied with the work that I do.

I'm curious to why the topic on Robert was deleted.

So two years ago I hired him to replace my ALL my hoses, main relay, and other misc. things. Recently, my car wouldn't start. My friend found out that my main relay was never replaced. Concerned, I took my car to Autowave. Turns out he replaced only one or two hoses, went out of his way to steal ALL my OEM claps, and placed aftermarket ones on. In the end, it will double me cost to redo all his "work."

A few owners have messaged me about him awhile back, with other concerns.
I feel bad because I referred a few new owners his way. I apologize if it has costed you too.

I see there are doubters so I'll post more tales from the crypt. I hope the original poster doesn't mind.

I don't mind at all, thank you for starting this thread. It was my friend who had work done on his '04 TL. Personally, Robert flaked on me three consecutive times to do work on my vehicle. This came as a surprise to me because he was reliable the first two times I enlisted his work to swap a failing wheel bearing and installing my Bilstein shocks.

I am new to this board, and based on the recommendations found here have worked with him. He seemed to be a standup individual and helped me out a lot with my car, however it sounds like he has been dealing with some stuff lately and has gone off the grid.

I have a car with him that i am currently trying to track down.

If there is anyone else that is in a similar situation, can you please PM me.

Unfortunately, this is well beyond poor workmanship. This is about charging people for work/parts that were not done. It is being dishonest and simply stealing from people.

I too have read many positive reviews before getting him to work on my car. So I guess we were being had selectively. It was the third job (most expensive) that was amiss, but it did take me awhile to verify and confirm that the parts weren't replaced. Let's just say that it was covered/hidden very well. I'd bet some of the pictures we received showing the progress for the jobs were not even for our cars.

I understand, but my response was addressing my opinion on voicing discontent with a service. Obviously if the person in question has a background of dishonesty and shifty behavior I believe that any Prime member has a right to hear about these instances. I wish we could hear from the responsible party (on this board or thread) and have these matters taken care of in a way that everyone feels satisfactory...but maybe I am living in an ideal world.

Yo Asmallz76. We are just sharing stories. No need to make it personal . I do expect nsx owners with some level of class. Your turn out well, some didn't. Unless you're him or know him well...

Shady socal mechanic

Hello everyone my name is Manny (listed as acortez). I was also ripped off by Robert Garcia for a leaking axle boot job. I had previously had other work done by him that turned out O.K. and I was a satisfied customer. I was led to believe by Robert that my axle was somehow damaged (he purposely did not remove a C clip, I later realized, and wasn't able to take apart my axle)So he recommended that I get a replacement axle and I gave him the money. When a few days later he was doing some brake work, I took a look at the axle and it was still leaking grease and it wasn't new like I was told. He even gave me a used axle (non NSX) to make it appear as if he had changed it. I complained to him and he stubbornly said that he had installed a new axle. He was LYING! Eventually my friend Joey did the job properly and we verified that Robert had not even touched the axle. This axle job was the first time that I had left my car overnight at Roberts house (big mistake). During the previous jobs I was looking over his shoulder and everything turned out O.K. Im sure Robert doesn't rip off everyone every time, but once you lose my trust it cant be regained,EVER! So everyone beware. Hes also flakey on apptmnts.

Unfortunately asmallz did not appreciate my comment and sent me this PM.

ASMALLZ76: "no one is trying to be a tough guy

know the facts

its all good

thx for sharing"

However asking someone or people to know their location so they can speak as "grown ass men" as you put it can simply be taken as a threat. If you did not mean it as such then maybe it shouldn't be typed.

As for knowing the facts... people are unhappy. Those I think we can agree are undisputed facts. Maybe the mechanic in question can chime in.

I dislike these stories because it makes me wish I was back up north where Larry B and Ben at daisy auto are. Now if I want things done I need to really think twice and do my research.

It is scary the effort he put in to deceive people. I truly believe that he picked his victims carefully, especially those who are not familiar with the mechanics of the NSX. I know there are some knowledgeable NSX owners have used his service, and I'd bet money that he didn't dare to rip them off.

Hello everyone my name is Manny (listed as acortez). I was also ripped off by Robert Garcia for a leaking axle boot job. I had previously had other work done by him that turned out O.K. and I was a satisfied customer. I was led to believe by Robert that my axle was somehow damaged (he purposely did not remove a C clip, I later realized, and wasn't able to take apart my axle)So he recommended that I get a replacement axle and I gave him the money. When a few days later he was doing some brake work, I took a look at the axle and it was still leaking grease and it wasn't new like I was told. He even gave me a used axle (non NSX) to make it appear as if he had changed it. I complained to him and he stubbornly said that he had installed a new axle. He was LYING! Eventually my friend Joey did the job properly and we verified that Robert had not even touched the axle. This axle job was the first time that I had left my car overnight at Roberts house (big mistake). During the previous jobs I was looking over his shoulder and everything turned out O.K. Im sure Robert doesn't rip off everyone every time, but once you lose my trust it cant be regained,EVER! So everyone beware. Hes also flakey on apptmnts.

I can only speak from my experience. I took my car to him twice.

Fixed leaking oil pan and water pump and timing belt.

Both times went well without any problems.

I had valve adjustment with him few years ago, he seemed like he knew his stuff and was cool to me. Only issue I had was after the adjustment the noise was still there but it could have been caused by something else, not sure.

I don't want to get into details until Robert has responded to what's been said so far, but I would strongly advise anyone considering using his services to look elsewhere.

I don't want to get into details until Robert has responded to what's been said so far, but I would strongly advise anyone considering using his services to look elsewhere.

That's the thing, he won't respond. He doesn't even respond to the text messages that owners send him about our cars or the work he schedules with us.

He has probably ripped off many with or without the knowledge of the owners. I suspect that this goes beyond just the NSX community as he also advertised his service for the Honda and Acura's. He himself probably doesn't even recall all the jobs he did or didn't do. So why would he respond as most of them would likely be complaints?

I don't know how long has he been conning people. I imagine that he could have gone a long way making really good cash if he was honest.

That's the thing, he won't respond. He doesn't even respond to the text messages that owners send him about our cars or the work he schedules with us.

First time I took my Nsx to Robert I had one of my ac fans replaced and ac charged. All good.

Second time I took it there and I had my key Ignition replaced. All good

Third time I had him replaced one of my headlight, didn't go too well. He said it was a brand new unit that someone ordered and cancel at his work. As it turns out it was a used one. (Which I found out from the dealership after checking on my water pump)

Fourth and last time I took it to Robert he did my timing and water pump plus valves job. He did replaced my timing belt but never my water pump cause after a few months it started leaking. When I confronted Robert he said it must of been a bad water pump and he said he will order me a new one. Never happened. He been dodging my calls.

I took my Nsx to the dealership and had it looked over. Valve job never done, and water pump never changed. Also Robert never used synthetic oil in my engine nor did he replaced my transmission oil and changed my spark plugs plus he used some aftermarket oil filter.

I agreed Robert did select his victim. Cause I'm not too mechanically inclined. Well I was his sucker.

Bottomline, I was suckered and endorsed by you guys on prime saying that Robert was a stand up guy.

I learned my lesson. Thank you prime.

I never wanted to write this post but I figure it's important as a public service announcement to others. So let's just put it out there. If anyone considers working with Robert after this, you're a bonafide IDIOT.

Don't say you weren't warned.

As one of the many who previously gave praise to Robert, it really pains me to take all of that back. He has always seemed like a genuinely nice guy and maybe that's his Jedi mind trick. The truth is a whole other story. He is undependable like anyone I've ever trusted before.

Let me tell you briefly the story about my last encounter with him. He had previously worked on my NSX a few times and so I asked him to help with a shock issue I was having with my MDX. After multiple reschedules, we finally got together and I paid him $1,800 to go buy me new front shock absorbers and have them installed, as he diagnosed that as the problem. This did not resolve my issue and after retesting, he decides it is actually a lower control arm. So now I have to pony up for that too. Again after multiple reschedules, he finally gets the replacement done. This is literally months after we started the job. The kicker? While he had my car to work on, he was nice enough to get 2 parking tickets from San Gabriel. He repeatedly said he was going to take care of them, but it was taking so long that I paid them myself to avoid additional penalties. Afterwards he repeatedly promised that he would cut me a check, that his word was good, and that he would make sure it was taken care of. It never happened.

I'm a trusting person, patient, and I'd like to think a generally nice guy. But seriously, Robert can go FK himself. I held off on writing anything in order to give him the benefit of the doubt. But at this point I'm writing off my losses. I hope he gets what's coming to him for being so dishonest and untrustworthy. Quite frankly I have half a mind to call Santa Monica Acura where he works and get him fired. And truthfully, I will probably have someone reexamine all the work that I asked him to do on the NSX previously.

I can't remember who, but whoever recommended him to the community in the first place should probably be shamed as well. Such a disfavor to the community.

I have a new complaint on Roberts work.

A few months ago I had Robert install my rear beam and toe-links that had non-compliance parts installed on them. I just found out today from the mechanic that was installing the front undertrays on my car, that several bolts that help hold the motor in place were missing or loose. My mechanic believes that whoever installed the rear beam and toes links (Robert) did not tighten the six bolts/nuts tight enough and they became loose and some have fallen out altogether. Now to date, none of the problems people had with Robert were as serious as this. I could have lost my engine and some of my suspension, not to mention getting into an accident!

So, beware if Robert had worked on your car.

I never wanted to write this post but I figure it's important as a public service announcement to others. So let's just put it out there. If anyone considers working with Robert after this, you're a bonafide IDIOT.

Don't say you weren't warned.

As one of the many who previously gave praise to Robert, it really pains me to take all of that back. He has always seemed like a genuinely nice guy and maybe that's his Jedi mind trick. The truth is a whole other story. He is undependable like anyone I've ever trusted before.

Let me tell you briefly the story about my last encounter with him. He had previously worked on my NSX a few times and so I asked him to help with a shock issue I was having with my MDX. After multiple reschedules, we finally got together and I paid him $1,800 to go buy me new front shock absorbers and have them installed, as he diagnosed that as the problem. This did not resolve my issue and after retesting, he decides it is actually a lower control arm. So now I have to pony up for that too. Again after multiple reschedules, he finally gets the replacement done. This is literally months after we started the job. The kicker? While he had my car to work on, he was nice enough to get 2 parking tickets from San Gabriel. He repeatedly said he was going to take care of them, but it was taking so long that I paid them myself to avoid additional penalties. Afterwards he repeatedly promised that he would cut me a check, that his word was good, and that he would make sure it was taken care of. It never happened.

I'm a trusting person, patient, and I'd like to think a generally nice guy. But seriously, Robert can go FK himself. I held off on writing anything in order to give him the benefit of the doubt. But at this point I'm writing off my losses. I hope he gets what's coming to him for being so dishonest and untrustworthy. Quite frankly I have half a mind to call Santa Monica Acura where he works and get him fired. And truthfully, I will probably have someone reexamine all the work that I asked him to do on the NSX previously.

I can't remember who, but whoever recommended him to the community in the first place should probably be shamed as well. Such a disfavor to the community.

Dude, that sucks. The parking ticket thing happened to my friend when Robert had his TL. Robert never paid him for the ticket. I feel bad for referring my friend to him but at that point he'd not done me wrong, yet. I also found it peculiar that Robert always asked me if I needed parts. All the jobs he did for me I already had the parts ordered from Acura of Peoria. Maybe that's why he constantly flaked on me for doing my CV boot. Maybe he figured he couldn't swindle me for parts like he did other people.

BTW, funny you live in Culver City. I work at the L.A. Fitness at Culver Center. LOL.

For those of you who has Robert done maintenance or work on your NSX, it would be safe to say to have another mechanic double check the work before something serious happens. Just a thought.

If ur a newbie and not sure where to go, I suggest you stick with the tried and tested

Jon martin
ramon
autowave

i go to Jon Martin for all my cars but any of the three is ur best bet for nsx work
i say pay and bit more and stay with those whom we know and trust

I use Pacc Auto out in Santa Clarita. It's a bit of a trek from the West side but they do great work. Just did a cam belt, water pump, accessory belts, plugs and engine & transmission oil plus coolant about three months ago and no complaints from me.

Does anyone know where Robert is at?

Apparently he has been evicted from his home, doesn't work at Acura Santa Monica or Honda anymore.

His friend Mike, who owned a Berlina 95 NSX that just sold I believe, who may or may not know of Robert's activities and is in on it. After all, some of our stolen parts had to of gone somewhere.

Back