• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Improved Tail Light Gaskets?

So those that have installed these gaskets can all agree these are better then the OEM gaskets. As long as you take your time installing them properly and the studs on your taillights are in good condition?

they work well for 20 bucks a pop. I have never had the Oem ones as the car came without them and I couldn't find after market rear liners so I ponied up and got the rears for 300$ Oem. For some damn plastic! The fronts which are non Oem fit okay. They have taken multiple blows already from my before Christ coilovers (BC)

If I had to compare them to the Oem rears, the edges are not totally smooth like Oem. If I had to do it over again, I would order the after market condenser fan guards which are hella cheap at like 15$ because nobody sees those, then order the Oem fender liner for the front.

the inner liners which protect the fans are better as they do not protrude as much as oem and fit very well no rubbing on my 18's !

Wish I knew about these before wasting the money on OEM. Ruined my left OEM gasket while installing it. May just order these. I e-mailed the seller and he told me that they are stiff and should tighten, wait half an hour then tighten some more. He also said that adhesive (tape or glue) was not required, but recommended. I am going to bote the bullet and re try with these.

So got an e-mail from Detroit Muscle Technology...unlike tge seller they do not reccomend adhesive because it can cause leaks over time as it losses its adhesion. Said these were design tl be ised with out it.

I guess I'm the minority that doesn't like the Detroit Muscle eBay gaskets. If only they were half as thick they would be perfect.

I'm not trying these again until I can precompress them with a few hundred pounds overnight. The thickness wouldn't let the taillights fit into the recess around the turn signal areas. I just left the gaskets off temporarily so I can drive the car.

IMG_2708.JPG I'm half way thru my installation of these. So far so good. As noted, if you go slow and gradually tighten in a pattern, everything is good. I did not glue. I did try to precompress overnight bu sticking them under a flat plate with approximately 150 lbs on top over night. When I removed them, they didn't really seem any thinner than the other side that I did not put under my steel plate. IMG_2707.JPG Since they were out, I did replace all bulbs and marked the key arrow with a paint pen. Should make life a bit easier next time a bulb needs replacing.

Attachments

• IMG_2708.JPG
    IMG_2708.JPG
    76 KB · Views: 176
Last edited:
So I have a set of these and have just gone through most of the trouble of removing the OEM gasket which also had some clear silicone sealant behind it which wasn't fun getting off. These seem pretty straight forward to install other than the two rectangular strips of gasket material... Where do these go? The parts of the Detroit Muscle gaskets that match up to the OEM size and shape are no brainers but these two strips I just don't understand where you put them.

So I have a set of these and have just gone through most of the trouble of removing the OEM gasket which also had some clear silicone sealant behind it which wasn't fun getting off. These seem pretty straight forward to install other than the two rectangular strips of gasket material... Where do these go? The parts of the Detroit Muscle gaskets that match up to the OEM size and shape are no brainers but these two strips I just don't understand where you put them.

The two strips are supposed to go where the "horns" are on the tail light. I didn't bother to use them because my OE pieces were still good.

I'm doing the staged tightening with these new gaskets but is there a final torque spec these should be at? I've looked through the manual but I couldn't find a torque spec for the taillight nuts. Thanks again.

Back