• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Reasons for buying?

Do you think Honda would like to weaken the Japanese comparo with Nissan (or others)?
Are they trying to reposition themselves against the European marques with the type of car the NSX is?
All the performance hybrids are 2 seat mid-engined European cars.

I understand the comments from Super and Adam about the GTR.
Can you add any comments from your NSX experience compared to the GTR?
I have limited knowledge of this car but so far I haven't seen anyone driving one that's over 35 years old.
It seems to be a young man's car.

I'm retired, late 60's, and the NSX appeals but not the GTR for me.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote from Audi in the Bloomberg article: "They’re currently working to slim excess weight from the car, since that hybrid system adds a lot that they wouldn’t normally have to consider in a sports coupe.". I don't think this car is going to be drastically lighter than the GTR, as many have implied on this thread. Hope I'm wrong however.

I was thinking about this a lot.
To make our current NSX with today's crash and enviro legislation we'd maybe see a car about 3200 lbs.
Add three electric motors, two turbos, 25 lbs. of copper wire and a big battery and I think you've got 300 lbs. there.
If the new NSX came in about 3500 lbs. that sounds about right to me.

Having owned 3 generations of GTRs (currently own a R35) and 2 iterations of NSXs here's my take on it.

First of all, the GTR was designed from a clean slate to be a sports car, to pack a big punch, to do it in a way that was unconventional and do it at a price point that shamed the established sports car market mainly saturated by European marques. It's heavy but it's weight is not felt when you drive it. It's been said by others before and I agree, the car shrinks around the driver. The weight is there, Nissan does not try to hide that. In fact they designed the car to look in such a way to accentuate it's solidity. It's part of the long heritage of the GTR. Look at all its modern generations going back to the R32 and compare it's design, weight and presence to its performance peers and the current 35 falls right in place with the mission statement. It's always competed directly with the NSX in the JDM and when it expanded its market share globally it (and the next gen) will be compared directly with the new NSX, to answer your question JD. :)

JD Cross,

In the UK, I would say the minority of owners are under 35.

I know many multimillionaire old boys who have them as part of their collection and tend to use them as a daily driver and save the exotica for the weekend. The cost of the car/insurance etc means your typical 35 year old cannot afford to buy and run one. I would say 40-50 is the largest demographic. The gentleman I just sold my 5th example to is in his 70s.

JD Cross,

In the UK, I would say the minority of owners are under 35.

I know many multimillionaire old boys who have them as part of their collection and tend to use them as a daily driver and save the exotica for the weekend. The cost of the car/insurance etc means your typical 35 year old cannot afford to buy and run one. I would say 40-50 is the largest demographic. The gentleman I just sold my 5th example to is in his 70s.

Now I find this very interesting.
It suggests two very different views of the GTR between N. America and the UK.
Here you see lots of old guys like me in European marques but outside of the NSX, almost none in Japanese marques.
I can easily see your view on the GTR/NSX competitive situation in the UK.

It's a bit of a mixed bag actually.

There are (a)the kids/young adults who aspire to drive the gt-r because it is a performance bargain and a much more attainable supercar slayer than any other option. These people buy them typically because they have a chip on their shoulder and something to prove to those (b) who have other reasons to buy cars than bragging rights, such as for status. These two groups look down their noses at eachother, one believes he is faster so wins, the other believes he is richer and more exclusive and so wins.

Then there are the real car enthusiast/thinking men. I like to think of myself in this category. I chose the GT-R for its technology which put it firmly ahead of the competition. Its price tag was a real bonus but also, its non exotic brand made it stand out. I take pleasure in simply saying I drive a nissan so as not to bring attention to myself. As a true technophile/petrolhead the GT-R really talked to me. I'm done with the conversation and the NSX now has more exciting things to say. Yes it's in a higher financially ballpark but that is more appealing as it keeps the car away from group (a) above, while the lack of snob value honda badge keeps the car away from group (b) above.

I think the NSX is going to be an even more left field choice than the GT-R is/was, and even more of a thinking man's car.

ps. I am a snob, but have no issue with admitting that.

Last edited:
2 things:

1 - You guys keep mentioning the ~$150k mark, how sure are we about this? When I look at this car and the industry, I dont see it coming in realistically below $170k becuase the opportunity will most likely be there for the money. The competition (which gets confusing when you think about it because technically this was aimed at the 458 but ferrari will have a cheaper model coming. Also if it was aimed at the 458, are they competing with the 650s or 570s...?) price points are all still above that price too: 458/488 ~275k, 911 turbo s ~180k, 570s ~185k, 650s ~265k... you get the idea (yes the gtr is cheaper) but this brings me to my next point

2 - I think the performance of this vehicle is being severely underestimated. we know 550+hp and blah blah blah but just look at the i8 for comparison, this car will literally be double almost everything of that car; cylinders, turbos, electric motors... and look how it performs in the real world, not the paper number jockeys bs. the new nsx should upset a lot of other vehicle owners

but back to the original topic, ill be purchasing one once there is a spider,targa, whatevr roofless model they end up making

2 things:

1 - You guys keep mentioning the ~$150k mark, how sure are we about this? When I look at this car and the industry, I dont see it coming in realistically below $170k becuase the opportunity will most likely be there for the money. The competition (which gets confusing when you think about it because technically this was aimed at the 458 but ferrari will have a cheaper model coming. Also if it was aimed at the 458, are they competing with the 650s or 570s...?) price points are all still above that price too: 458/488 ~275k, 911 turbo s ~180k, 570s ~185k, 650s ~265k... you get the idea (yes the gtr is cheaper) but this brings me to my next point

2 - I think the performance of this vehicle is being severely underestimated. we know 550+hp and blah blah blah but just look at the i8 for comparison, this car will literally be double almost everything of that car; cylinders, turbos, electric motors... and look how it performs in the real world, not the paper number jockeys bs. the new nsx should upset a lot of other vehicle owners

but back to the original topic, ill be purchasing one once there is a spider,targa, whatevr roofless model they end up making

Hey Parker,

For your first item, Honda/Acura has drilled home the point of "458 performance at R8 pricing".

Second item, I agree. Potentially being underestimated by people that have experience with the original NSX. Outside of that group, I believe the buzz is high.

Hey Parker,

For your first item, Honda/Acura has drilled home the point of "458 performance at R8 pricing".

Second item, I agree. Potentially being underestimated by people that have experience with the original NSX. Outside of that group, I believe the buzz is high.
yesss someone who agrees. but are we talking r8 v10+ prices or base models? lol

That was always the point in question, until they revealed the mid-$150k price point, which puts it in line with base R8 V10s.
gotcha

Another thread shows the new parked next to the old. Really does seems dated.
Some still love their's like when they first got it. I however don't feel that way though it does still look great.
I hate to sell it but if I have the new one I wouldn't drive the old one at all.

Back