• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Reasons for buying?

Okay, so I've heard the main counter arguments against the new NSX (mostly styling and "Should've come out three years ago").

So for those left standing in line with their checkbooks, what are your reasons for wanting to buy? At this point I'm feeling a little neutral, and would love to hear some opinions from the group…

Most of the comments I've been reading about the new NSX were also being made about the first NSX when I bought mine back in 91.
I guess my view on the new NSX goes something like this:

There's no new car design that someone doesn't like but design is only a small, (albeit important) part of the total package.
Honda's philosophy is usually about balance, refinement, ergonomics, and reliability.
When it comes to power it's usually adequate, usable, balanced power but not usually class leading.

What I'm expecting and hoping for is a modern version of our NSX's.
To me that means the same great balance and handling, same reliability, same great ergonomics and comfort with an increase in power competitive with similar modern sports cars.
The price positioning at $155K plus for performance competitive with Ferrari, Porsche, Audi coupled with the elements we like about our current NSX seems to be exceptional value.

For me, the main reason I'm willing to buy the car is, quite simply, it appeals to me. I don't give two shits about what some stranger on the street or on the internet thinks about the car. That is, unless of course he/she is willing to help pay for the car. Then I guess I'd have to factor in their thoughts.

If I were to create a Venn diagram of the cars I lust after and the cars I could afford, there would unfortunately be very little overlap. The new NSX happens to be within that overlap, but only just. As it is, there is still a chance that the final price will be beyond what I'm willing/able to pay for it, but here's hoping for the best. What appeals to me most about the car is the styling. I love the design of the car, loved it right from the time the first concept was shown in 2012. And it has gotten better with the 2nd concept and then the production version. To me, there are very few other cars that look as good. The other thing that appeals to me is the emphasis on the driving experience rather than all-out performance. The thing I enjoyed most about my '04 NSX was how enjoyable it was to drive even at legal speed limits. It still felt great to drive just cruising along. One of the main reasons for that, I think, is the driving position and the great visibility. The cockpit felt both intimate and open at the same time, which is quite a feat. And I'm glad that the designers of the new NSX are trying to replicate that feeling. Also, the fact the car is mid-engined also helps. Cars like the Corvette, Viper, and AMG GT have such long hoods that it feels like you are driving them from the back seat. That just doesn't appeal to me, so no matter how much I like those cars, I could never own one.

Another big factor is reliability. Of course, there is no way to know before hand just how reliable the car will be, but my experience with past Hondas gives me hope that the NSX will be reasonably reliable. I'm also hoping that it will be at least somewhat DIY friendly as far as routine maintenance goes. Reliability is one thing that makes me wary of getting a German car like the BMW i8, another car I really like. If I were to get one, it would most likely be leased as I would be too afraid of owning such a car past the warranty period. Same for the Audi R8. As for Porsches: I'm sure they are fantastic cars, but they never appealed to me, at least the ones I could afford.

So for me, I'm planning on buying the car because of its styling, hoped for driving experience and hoped for reliability. And because most of the other cars I like are beyond what I can afford.

Last edited:
Good stuff – mid-engine, AWD, electric motors are some of my reasons (at least on paper). All of the other stuff like reliability, comfort/ergonomics, performance, reliability – are yet to be seen, and we can only go on past experience with the manufacturer in general.

Both responses so far have indicated value/affordability as being one of the big factors. For the price that will be charged, you could pick up a new NISMO GT-R or Porsche GT3 (not to mention used exotics)...

Yes, at the price point of the new NSX, there are many alternatives. And if one of them appeals to you more, you should buy that instead of the NSX. For me, neither the GTR or 911 appeal to me in the slightest. The GTR is ugly and heavy. The 911 just leaves me cold for some reason. As for new vs. used, my last three "dream" cars were all purchased used. Buying new means I get to choose the colour and options I want, rather than picking from whatever is available. Not to mention the fun of having a new car, of having the mileage on the odometer be yours rather than someone else. Also, this is most likely going to be my last sports car, so it is literally a once in a lifetime opportunity for me to buy such a car and I want a new rather than used car.

Yes, at the price point of the new NSX, there are many alternatives. And if one of them appeals to you more, you should buy that instead of the NSX. For me, neither the GTR or 911 appeal to me in the slightest. The GTR is ugly and heavy. The 911 just leaves me cold for some reason. As for new vs. used, my last three "dream" cars were all purchased used. Buying new means I get to choose the colour and options I want, rather than picking from whatever is available. Not to mention the fun of having a new car, of having the mileage on the odometer be yours rather than someone else. Also, this is most likely going to be my last sports car, so it is literally a once in a lifetime opportunity for me to buy such a car and I want a new rather than used car.

If you can afford it, then by all means get it. For me, it's just that, with depreciation, even waiting a year or two and going used can save you a boatload of money. And if you insist on new, waiting a couple of years lets Acura work out any "bugs" (e.g. the good old snap ring issue with the '91's and '92's comes to mind) that might appear in the new car.
I wish that I were in your shoes...I'd love to get a new one!

Good stuff – mid-engine, AWD, electric motors are some of my reasons (at least on paper). All of the other stuff like reliability, comfort/ergonomics, performance, reliability – are yet to be seen, and we can only go on past experience with the manufacturer in general.

Both responses so far have indicated value/affordability as being one of the big factors. For the price that will be charged, you could pick up a new NISMO GT-R or Porsche GT3 (not to mention used exotics)...

Like Olyar the GTR does nothing for me but I'm 67 and it's a young man's car.
The 911 is an iconic look but it doesn't attract me either.
This too will be my last sports car (or any car for that matter)
Sure it likely pays to wait and buy used but in my case I'd rather be driving

The GTR is a technological masterpiece, but it's cartoonishly large and weighs almost 2 tons. I agree with the above posts that it does not instill that car loving passion from purists.

I'm 67 and it's a young man's car.
This too will be my last sports car (or any car for that matter)
Sure it likely pays to wait and buy used but in my case I'd rather be driving
I am 58, and have been keeping my NSX since I was 35. By the time one of the new ones is allocated to my country, I probably will be over 60. I wish I could have a similar long term relation with this new one. :smile:

In the 160k segment the car will attract a very similar demographic it did when new in 91...folks who don't follow the crowd,are truly interested in what they are buying,understand and appreciate the tech involved,and are more likely to have a acura dealer near to them than say the Italians...

Good stuff, and I probably strayed a little bit from the original question. It feels like a lot of the responses implicitly are pointing to brand loyalty, which only makes sense given the website.

Like Jeffrey, I do have to question whether reliability of the brand will really extend to a car with all this new technology (excuse my ignorance if it's already been tested on any of their race cars) – but I guess that's what warranties are for!

There's no brand loyalty in it for me. I had 5 gtrs and that was nothing to do with brand loyalty. There is an R36 GTR coming in a few years but it is the NSX that has my attention.

My reasons are pretty simple. Technology.

If you look at the current hypercar offering, there are three hybrid cars at the top of all trees. No one else has yet developed a performance hybrid car yet the capability of the format has been proven despite the three different interpretations of how it should be done.

Of the three, the 918 is by far the most appealing to me. The others strike me as a little me too, the P1 if you see it up close appears very much rushed and despite its significant power to weight advantage, has not manage to best the 918 on any track time comparisons I've seen.

The NSX to me is very much a mini 918. Same concept, layout, drive etc, but significantly cheaper.

It also includes features that I consider improvements that are missing from the 918 - turbos and individual motors on the front wheels.

If I were given carte blanche to spec up my ultimate car, everything I would choose (with one tiny exception) has been selected in the NSX. The only thing I would like is for the hybrid option to also be plug in, as I love the idea of the car if necessary having no reliance on petrol. It would be great to drop my daughter at school and not have to turn the engine on once in the 5 mile trip, though that may still be possible, when the battery does die, it will be charged by engine, not the mains supply.

I wasn't too wild about the styling when I first saw it, I liked it but not in an "I must own it" type way that the 488 gives me. Oddly I love the 488, but what now stops me from committing that level of funds to one is the fact that I see its technology as clinging on to a desperate past and outdated before it has been released.

I do wonder if it would be better to wait for a few more generations of performance hybrids, but I do feel that that mentality would see me never making a decision.

For me it's the same as my 91.
Superior braking and handling, high quality construction and finish, reliable, amazing driver view and ergonomics, leading edge technology, and adequate power.
Was never totally enamored with the rear wing styling, thought it looked like a 959, F40 copycat, but otherwise my 91 is the best car I've ever owned.
Was never concerned about whether the first NSX was the fastest thing on the road.
It was fast enough for me and had limits well beyond my driving skill.

I'm expecting the new NSX to be the same but updated to modern technology.

Again not concerned whether it's the fastest car in it's class.
The GTR may be faster but I just don't want a bulky heavy car.
A 458,488 will be faster but I can't afford one.
Some Porsche 911's will be faster but everyone has one and the rear weight bias is not for me.

Not surprised many posters have lots of complaints about styling, power, launch dates and so on.
Pretty much the same as the first go around.
I'm thinking the new NSX will be the best car Honda has ever made, just like the first generation was in its time.

For me it's the same as my 91.
Superior braking and handling, high quality construction and finish, reliable, amazing driver view and ergonomics, leading edge technology, and adequate power.
Was never totally enamored with the rear wing styling, thought it looked like a 959, F40 copycat, but otherwise my 91 is the best car I've ever owned.
Was never concerned about whether the first NSX was the fastest thing on the road.
It was fast enough for me and had limits well beyond my driving skill.

I'm expecting the new NSX to be the same but updated to modern technology.

Again not concerned whether it's the fastest car in it's class.
The GTR may be faster but I just don't want a bulky heavy car.
A 458,488 will be faster but I can't afford one.
Some Porsche 911's will be faster but everyone has one and the rear weight bias is not for me.

Not surprised many posters have lots of complaints about styling, power, launch dates and so on.
Pretty much the same as the first go around.
I'm thinking the new NSX will be the best car Honda has ever made, just like the first generation was in its time.

My reasons are nearly identical to yours. I would add that access to service is also important to me (not that I'm hoping I need it). I live in Minnesota, without the benefit of a Ferrari, McLaren, Lamborghini, etc. dealer even remotely nearby.

Gordon Murray (designer of the McLaren F1) said that the NSX (with more power) was his benchmark for the F1. So, since I could not buy an F1, I supercharged my NSX...now if I could only get a centerline seat! :)

Adamantium, my current reasoning is probably most similar to yours (also coming from a GTR). Even though the electric motor is already in a lot of cars, only a few have turned it into a great sports car or exotic. While I suspect the straight-line performance will not be as good as the Nismo, it is likely going to be better than my CBA and I guess we will see the Nuremberg Ring times soon enough…. That said, like others, I probably won't be driving either car anywhere near its limits.

Great thread, thanks for everyone's input!

Wonderful thread and I like the opinions and insight.

I will likely buy a new NSX a few years down the road. Having seen first year issues in other hyped up cars (NA1 snap ring and CBA GTR tranny issues) I do think its right to let the automaker "get it right" after a few years of production. Like the NA1/2 I don't think depreciation will be an issue, so no point trying to get a deal off a used example, though first years will probably be most plentiful and hold value the least. For me, buying the new NSX will be exactly for the same reasons why I love the first NSXs...Brand loyalty, appreciation for Honda's mantra of less is more, inspired engineering and a car built around the driving experience. I missed that when I sold my NA1 and bought the GTR. Though I love my GTR and cannot see myself selling it anytime soon (and bought Olyar15's NA2 to supplement the driving experience of my GTR) I would sell it when the time comes to pick up the new NSX. I find I need one manual transmission and 1 paddle shifter.

Love this thread, subscribed :)

That's why I have an E46 M3.

I think it actually will compete with a stock GT-R in terms of straight line speed. I expect it will be lighter, it has more gears that are lightning fast so don't impact the power output on acceleration runs, it has better traction due to the weight distribution, and I suspect it will have a lower cDA rating. Then add in instant torque at pull away.

The Nismo GT-R is only 50bhp more powerful, with no additional torque, and is still a fair chunk heavier. At the acceleration figures the GT-R already posts, an extra 50bhp, doesn't make much difference to the times, it's all about getting the power down and the gearchanges right.

I have a feeling a 550(+) lighter and electrically augmented NSX will best the GT-R (or nismo) in a straight drag race to any speed.

The GT-R's ace is how well it responds to modification and how good the base engine engine is. 750bhp on standard internals is relatively easy and can last. Same goes for the later spec gearboxes. I'm sure we'll see plenty people attempt the same with the NSX. Initially, I'm keener to leave mine stock (have done a U-turn on this recently).

Wonderful thread and I like the opinions and insight.

I will likely buy a new NSX a few years down the road. Having seen first year issues in other hyped up cars (NA1 snap ring and CBA GTR tranny issues) I do think its right to let the automaker "get it right" after a few years of production. Like the NA1/2 I don't think depreciation will be an issue, so no point trying to get a deal off a used example, though first years will probably be most plentiful and hold value the least. For me, buying the new NSX will be exactly for the same reasons why I love the first NSXs...Brand loyalty, appreciation for Honda's mantra of less is more, inspired engineering and a car built around the driving experience. I missed that when I sold my NA1 and bought the GTR. Though I love my GTR and cannot see myself selling it anytime soon (and bought Olyar15's NA2 to supplement the driving experience of my GTR) I would sell it when the time comes to pick up the new NSX. I find I need one manual transmission and 1 paddle shifter.

Love this thread, subscribed :)

make sure you save me a spot on first dibs when you get bored of it JC ;) I'd love to get one new but my weak salary isn't in the cards..

make sure you save me a spot on first dibs when you get bored of it JC ;) I'd love to get one new but my weak salary isn't in the cards..

Hahaha, says the guy who's shopping for a Ferrari ;) ;) ;)

I think it actually will compete with a stock GT-R in terms of straight line speed. I expect it will be lighter, it has more gears that are lightning fast so don't impact the power output on acceleration runs, it has better traction due to the weight distribution, and I suspect it will have a lower cDA rating. Then add in instant torque at pull away.
The Nismo GT-R is only 50bhp more powerful, with no additional torque, and is still a fair chunk heavier. At the acceleration figures the GT-R already posts, an extra 50bhp, doesn't make much difference to the times, it's all about getting the power down and the gear changes right.
I have a feeling a 550(+) lighter and electrically augmented NSX will best the GT-R (or Nismo) in a straight drag race to any speed.
The GT-R's ace is how well it responds to modification and how good the base engine is. 750bhp on standard internals is relatively easy and can last. Same goes for the later spec gearboxes. I'm sure we'll see plenty people attempt the same with the NSX. Initially, I'm keener to leave mine stock (have done a U-turn on this recently).

Looking at the NSX and GTR and wondering if other than being made by Japanese owned companies are we comparing apples and oranges?

Isn't the GTR more a Japanese muscle car and from a size and weight point of view more comparable to US muscle cars like a Mustang/Camaro/Challenger?
The above cars all weigh in around 3700 lbs. or more, and while sporty, are they sports cars?

Isn't the NSX, as a mid-engined two seat sports car, more comparable to a Ferrari/Lamborghini/Audi R8/Porsche and so be seen as a true sports car?

Isn't Honda planning on the target market for the NSX (outside of existing owners) more from the true sports car group (maybe Porsche/Audi?)?

I know the GTR out accelerates a lot of cars and handles well for a big heavy car but so does the Dodge Hellcat.
Is this the target market for the NSX?

We have many NSX owners who also have GTR's and I haven't read where many see them as the same type of car.
You mentioned you've owned many GTR's.
Do you see your NSX as a direct competitor to those GTR's or is it, in your view a different type of car.?

For me that's more of a philosophical question, since the reality is (at least in my case) that it's either going to be: keep the GTR or buy the nsx. So while you have a point, it's moot for me as I am definitely making the comparison. And the good thing is, the very differences you listed are probably the main (only?) reason GTR owners are considering trading up!

Looking at the NSX and GTR and wondering if other than being made by Japanese owned companies are we comparing apples and oranges?

Isn't the GTR more a Japanese muscle car and from a size and weight point of view more comparable to US muscle cars like a Mustang/Camaro/Challenger?
The above cars all weigh in around 3700 lbs. or more, and while sporty, are they sports cars?

Isn't the NSX, as a mid-engined two seat sports car, more comparable to a Ferrari/Lamborghini/Audi R8/Porsche and so be seen as a true sports car?

Isn't Honda planning on the target market for the NSX (outside of existing owners) more from the true sports car group (maybe Porsche/Audi?)?

I know the GTR out accelerates a lot of cars and handles well for a big heavy car but so does the Dodge Hellcat.
Is this the target market for the NSX?

We have many NSX owners who also have GTR's and I haven't read where many see them as the same type of car.
You mentioned you've owned many GTR's.
Do you see your NSX as a direct competitor to those GTR's or is it, in your view a different type of car.?

I respectfully disagree. The GT-R is not merely a straight-line muscle car. Rather, it is a high performance sports car and, while it is wicked fast off the line, it is also spectacularly capable on a track. Moreover, while it weighs more than a two seater Ferrari -- because it has a back seat -- the GT-R weighs less than most muscle cars.

Many compare the NSX to the GT-R because, inter alia: (1) the GT-R has set a benchmark for performance by a Japanese sports car; (2) the GT-R has set a benchmark for performance by a car costing less than $150,000; (3) the NSX, like the GT-R, must overcome the fact that its manufacturer produces primarily mid priced every day cars, and is not known for high performance sports cars; and (4) the NSX, like the GT-R, must overcome the bias for European performance sports cars and the associated long standing customer loyalty to certain European brands.

There are far more parallels between the two cars, but I am on a cell phone and my thumbs are tired.

Superfluous has just made practically every point I was going to make for me but far more succinctly.

they are different cars in terms of layout but in the UK at least they will have a similar target market. Apart from the fact that the Gtr is considered to be more a scalpel than a sledgehammer, the muscle car market doesn't really exist over here. The muscle options you mention aren't available in the UK. They are about to import the mustang officially but that's it. There's nothing fast in a straight line and very cheap. We have gt cars like big jags and astons, M5s etc but they are not cheap and cheerful.

The Gtr is very much sold on its lap times rather than straight line speed. Remember we have a heritage for circuit racing (almost all the F1 teams are based here) whereas while drag racing has a following it is minuscule by comparison.

I'd actually be seriously impressed if the NSX can come close to the Nismos lap time but I actually doubt it will match the normal GT-R at sub 7min20.

The reason for the target buyer overlap is because those who have bought the car have paid £80k for a sports car made by a mainstream Japanese manufacturer and despite its racing culture people have to get over the badge snobbery. If these cars are about image then it takes a thinking man to shun the 911/R8 in favour of the Japanese marque.

The same decision will have to be made by NSX buyers except at a 50% higher price point. I think it's actually a very tough marketing challenge.

Remember there's no Acura brand in the UK, it's just Honda/Nissan or some proper sports car exotica. If you buy your fast car to impress others you don't buy GTR/NSX. That's why they compare.

ignoring brand and cost and on technical comparison alone, I suspect only their performance will be similar, everything else is streets apart and personally I much prefer the NSX's credentials.

Quote from Audi in the Bloomberg article: "They’re currently working to slim excess weight from the car, since that hybrid system adds a lot that they wouldn’t normally have to consider in a sports coupe.".

I don't think this car is going to be drastically lighter than the GTR, as many have implied on this thread. Hope I'm wrong however.

Back