• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

have question on tire sizing

Need your expertise on a tire sizing issue. I have a 94 stock with original 16/17 inch wheels. I have been running Toyo T1R on the car for quite a few years and I am happy with the predictability of this tire. I replaced the fronts about 5 years ago and they are like brand new. Time for the rears but Toyo doesn't make 245/40/17 in the T1R. I found a pair of 245/35/17 on the net. My question is, would going from 40 to 35 profile cause any real problems with handling or tcs? I don't really want to go a whole new set of different brand tires at this time. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

If you mean to pair with a 215/45-16 front tire, then you would have TCS issues, as the 245/35-17 is only 0.6% larger diameter than the front. There's some chance it would work but unlikely, especially as it wears.

jwmelvin is correct. The 245/35-17 is 3.9 percent smaller in outer diameter than the stock 245/40-17, which just about uses up the tolerance in the TCS. And that will get worse as the rears wear.

Maybe it's time to get a different tire, front and rear. The T1R is not a very good tire anyway. I recommend one of these instead:

Bridgestone Potenza RE010 (OEM tire) 215/45-16 and 245/40-17
Bridgestone Potenza RE-71R 205/45-16 and 255/40-17
Hankook Ventus R-S3 (Version 2) 205/45-16 and either 245/40-17 or 255/40-17
Toyo Proxes R1R 205/45-16 and either 245/40-17 or 255/40-17
BFGoodrich gForce Rival S 215/45-16 and either 245/40-17 or 255/40-17
Falken Azenis RT-615K 215/45-16 and 255/40-17
Kumho Ecsta XS 215/45-16 and either 245/40-17 or 255/40-17

I want to thank you guys for the info. Looks like a new set of tires. Would there be any advantage to upgrade to a 17/18 in. wheel other than looks.

There's actually a disadvantage in that there are fewer tire choices in the appropriate 17-18 sizes. And they are more expensive.

There's actually a disadvantage in that there are fewer tire choices in the appropriate 17-18 sizes. And they are more expensive.
There are still plenty of tire choices in the 17"/18" sizes you need (215/40-17 and either 255/35-18 or 265/35-18). Tire choice is a disadvantage in 15"/16" sizes (for those wanting maximum performance summer tires) and in 18"/19" sizes (for those wanting any good performance tires), but there are several great choices in 17"/18". These include the Dunlop Direzza ZII Star Spec and Yokohama Advan Neova AD08R for those looking for the ultimate grip in street tires, and the Kumho Ecsta LE Sport and Pirelli PZero Nero GT for those willing to give up just a slight bit of grip in exchange for much longer treadlife.

Aren't those 17/18 choices for extreme-performance tires available in the 15/16 sizes along with several others?

Aren't those 17/18 choices for extreme-performance tires available in the 15/16 sizes along with several others?
Yes. 15"/16" has more choices than 17"/18" for extreme performance tires, but zero choices for maximum performance tires (for those who want more treadlife).

As long as you have a couple of choices for the kind of tire you want, tire availability shouldn't be an issue.

Just ordered new Weds wheels for my '93, stayed with recommended size 17 x 8 +38 / 18 x 9.5 +35. It appears if I go with 215/40-17 and 265/35-18 tires I'm reduced to these 3 choices (at least availability in Az)
1. Dunlop Direzza Z11 star spec
2. Yoko Advan Neova ADO8R
3. Kumho Ecsta LE Sport..

Not tracking car,Non-turbo but want to do hard cornering without too much drifting, Yokos or Dunlop? Will they last longer than the old Yokos rear tires? Is there a real big difference with the Kumho?
Had 16/17 wheels with bridgestones for 20 years until I split my Speedline wheels. Actually kept my old stock 15/16 wheels , went with Kumho Ecstas . Just too easy to break on curves. Comments? Thanks, Dennis

You will not notice a huge difference between the Dunlop and Yokohama. I have tried both on my NSX. I suspect the Kumho will be a noticeable step down.

Yes, the Dunlop and Yokohama are very similar. You can see a side-by-side comparison test of both tires on the Tire Rack website by clicking here. These are the stickiest street tires you can get. By comparison, the Kumho Ecsta LE Sport is not quite as sticky, but still very good indeed. I know an NSX owner and track driver who has them on her NSX and loves them. So it just depends on what you want - the absolutely stickiest tire, or if you're willing to sacrifice a little bit of traction in exchange for longer treadlife.

Incidentally, you mention having "Kumho Ecstas" on your 15"/16". Kumho makes a lot of different tires with the Ecsta name, and they are all different - everything from track tires, to supersticky street tires, to all-seasons, etc. An opinion based on one Kumho Ecsta tire should not carry over to a different model Kumho Ecsta tire. Again, these are the Kumho Ecsta LE Sport.

Yes, the Dunlop and Yokohama are very similar. You can see a side-by-side comparison test of both tires on the Tire Rack website by clicking here. These are the stickiest street tires you can get. By comparison, the Kumho Ecsta LE Sport is not quite as sticky, but still very good indeed. I know an NSX owner and track driver who has them on her NSX and loves them. So it just depends on what you want - the absolutely stickiest tire, or if you're willing to sacrifice a little bit of traction in exchange for longer treadlife.

Incidentally, you mention having "Kumho Ecstas" on your 15"/16". Kumho makes a lot of different tires with the Ecsta name, and they are all different - everything from track tires, to supersticky street tires, to all-seasons, etc. An opinion based on one Kumho Ecsta tire should not carry over to a different model Kumho Ecsta tire. Again, these are the Kumho Ecsta LE Sport.

The Ecsta XS are the tires on the 15/16 stock wheels. Perhaps it's the AZ warmer asphalt than RI , they just felt too easy to break. Seeing it's NSXPO time in Oct. I have to make up my mind in 90 mins, I'm siding with the Dunlops over the Yokos or Kumho (the LE are not the extreme) and save $100. Are the Direzzas worth the extra $100? This is where my ADD makes a fairly simple decision into a complex one :confused:

I noticed that in post #3 Potenza RE-11s are not listed as a choice and Tirerack shows them as available, does anyone know why they were not listed as an option?
I don't recall. They are currently listed as available in 205/45-16 and 255/40-17, which would certainly work. Maybe one or the other of those sizes wasn't available at the time I wrote the post, maybe one size was shown for the RE-11 and the other for the RE-11A that they separated out, or maybe I just missed it. It's a good tire and those sizes would work, so if that's what you want, go for it!

Back