• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Dying seats black?

Anyone have any thoughts on taking a set of say Tan seats and dying them black? I realize that the motor switch covers might need to be replaced, as well as the female seat belt buckles. Just wondering if its worth the trouble. I cant seem to find a decent set of black seats for my project car, only fairly beat up ones. I did however find a set in pretty damn good condition, within pickup distance of me, for a pretty good price, but they are tan.

The ones near Ft. Worth for $600 with the torn drivers side that Mike Tuan Phan posted? I did message him on them, but after shipping these would be close to $200 bucks more than what I could get the tan ones in good shape for. I havent ruled them out, just curious about the dye option.

I know it can be done. And there are some good do-it-yourself options out there if you have the patience and the skill (Doesn't really look all that hard.)

I can't comment on dyeing tan to black but every three or four years I take my black seats out and dye/treat the bolsters and other worn areas
I use a kit I bought from : https://leathermagic.com/leather-dye-painting
Eventually the dye wears off and I redo them.
Based on this experience the black dye on your tan seats may wear off and show the tan beneath at some point.
Perhaps buying a beat up black set and recovering them would work better in the long run.

Hmm. Yeah, I don't want to have the tan start showing though, even slightly.

The car only has 53k on it, seems like a shame to put cracked leather seats in it, plus it would drive me nuts every time I opened the door.

I did exactly this a few months ago. My seats were ivory and custom repadded by a previous owner (even more comfy then stock, very happy with them) so I couldn't use aftermarket seat covers. And for $150 or so from colorplus, worth a shot.

Initially looked fantastic, a few months on with driving several times per week, not so hot. I need to get photos and the car is in the stereo shop right now until later next week.

The most important advice I can give: a) you HAVE to pull the seats, and b) you really need to get the covers off otherwise all the sides of the creases stick to each other. I was nervous about pulling my covers off - seemed like the leather was starting to tear so I left it.

For b) I tried jamming popsicle sticks down there to keep the sides apart, then a day later moving the sticks by a half inch and redoing the remaining white bits. Worked only so-so. Three months on, it still seems tacky if the seat if left all the way forward or all the way back and is up against a panel. Maybe this is down to Florida humidity.

The pluses of this: a) it's cheap and at a quick glance it looks really good, and b) you can touch up scratches etc and it flows really well so you can't really see it's been touched up. The other negative is that it takes a while, a day per coat/layer etc and painting the seats needs to be done quickly and carefully. The dye is awesome, covers and flows really well, but watch out for runs. I had some but on the seat backs, so start there!

BTW I haven't been back to colorplus about any of this. Oh, and I used a pint of dye to do the seats and a custom leather rear panel.

If you can afford new covers and installation, I would definitely go that route rather than dyeing them.

HTH

Good info and advise!

I found a great deal on some seats that are worn, and thanks to Mexi Ricer, they are going to be brought up to the car and installed before it goes on the transport. I'll just get the kit from leatherseats.com. I called them. Its 639 shipped for single color, 689 shipped for single color with perforated inserts, and a 2 week lead time for either option.

Not sure what I am going to do. I want it to look as OEM as possible, but perforated sure would be nice

Last edited:
Good info and advise!

I found a great deal on some seats that are worn, and thanks to Mexi Ricer, they are going to be brought up to the car and installed before it goes on the transport. I'll just get the kit from leatherseats.com. I called them. Its 639 shipped for single color, 689 shipped for single color with perforated inserts, and a 2 week lead time for either option.

Not sure what I am going to do. I want it to look as OEM as possible, but perforated sure would be nice
I have the perforated seats with red stictch and red piping from leatherseats.com they look and feel great. I'm a smoker and smoke in my car and every time I sit in the car it smells like new leather. My seat covers are also about 6 years old with only minor bolster wear.

JD, about how many miles/year are you putting on those seats?

I'm averaging 4100 miles per year since new.
I'd say my original seats are good for another 4-5 years before recovering is needed.

As someone who is trying to keep the car as original as possible, the big problem I have with leatherseats.com is you can no longer get the gathered leather covers, like those in the first few NSXs. I missed the boat on those back when the group buy was on. Otherwise I'd have a set in ivory on order already.

Back