• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

MCano's 97 Spa Yellow Build

My car, a 97 Spa Yellow Pearl/Onix NSX, came with a double din Pioneer stereo unit with navigation, a short antenna, tinted windows, a Valentine radar unit and 2002 wheels.

I started my build with some parts taken from my first NSX (a 95 Red/Tan), including Bilstein shocks and clear front side markers.

Most of the latest modifications that I have made are meant to improve my cars handling on the track. Below is what I have done:

Suspension:
KWV3 Coil-Overs
Dave T’s non-compliance rear bearings and toe links
Dave T’s front compliance clamp
Dali street/race front sway bar set at stiffest setting
Zanardi rear sway bar
LoveFab upper & lower chassis braces
LoveFab engine bay brace
Front ball joint replacement
iLift Semi-Automatic System, Front & Rear

Steering Rack:
Complete steering rack re-build

Brakes:
Brembo GT BBK
Motul 600 brake fluid
SS brake lines
SOS front brake FRP air scoops

Aero:
Pride NSX-R style carbon fiber rear spoiler with the third brake light
VIS CF ducted hood
QL-25-S Quik-Latch Mini Latches hood pins
Downforce NSX-R Hood Duct (black fiberglass)
Shine Type-1 front spoiler, already cracked LOL
Downforce front NSX-R undertray (black FRP)
Downforce NSX-R Battery undertray (aluminum)
Downforce NSX-R gas tank undertray
Difflow 5-element rear diffuser (powder coated aluminum)

Intake & Exhaust:
Downforce Air Intake Scoop
Pride II SS exhaust

Street Wheels & Tires:
Wheels: 2002 OEM
Tires: Dunlop Direzza ZII Star Spec 215/40R-17 & 255/40R-17

Track Wheels & Tires:
Wheels: Enkeis PF01, 17x8 +45 & 18x9.5 +35
Tires: Toyo Proxes RA (235/40/17 & 275/35/18)

Exterior:
Downforce carbon fiber rear window garnish
2002 rear valance

Coolant System:
Masiv Radiator

Interior:
Complete OEM seats leather replacement w/ pin-hole style Alcantara center seat panels with yellow backing. OEM seat modifications to allow the use of the sub belt of a 5-point harness and the removal of approximately an inch of from the seat cushion to create a deeper bolster.

Safety Equipment:
Dave T;s harness bar
G-Force 5-Point Harness
Sport II Hans Device
A 2.5 lb BC Fire Extinguisher
Bell M8 Helmet

Exterior and Interior Lighting:
Arch-Light LED tail Lights
Arch-Light LED front turn signals
HID low beam headlight up-grade
High beam bulb upgrade with Vision X Superwhite bulbs'
LED light bulb replacement kit for the: door, foot-well and dome light fixtures.
LED light bulb replacement kit for the: license plate, side markers & front turn signals.

Miscellaneous:
Science of Speed stainless steel oil pan baffle
Science of Speed billet racing tow hook - red
Hugo's window fix-it kits
Light-weight Lithium battery
Science of Speed stealth license plate bracket
Cedar Ridge harmonic balancer shield

I plan on making the following additional modifications, including the installation of a new LSD, if it ever gets made, I already paid for it:

Drive-train:
OS Giken STR Series Clutch (Already received from Japan)
OS Giken LSD W/ 4.4 Final Drive (on order from Japan)

Miscellaneous:
Clear bra

Mods That I'm Contemplating:
Viper Security Alarm System
Installation of an SOS supercharger. I just don't know if I want all that extra power. I'll probably rap myself around a pole, or run off the track and flip a few times. What do you think?
Voltex Rear Wing
Replace front, steel, bumper bar with an aluminum one
HPDE AT THERMAL DURING NSXPO 2015 IN PALM SPRINGS, CA With Most Current Modifications Made

attachment.php

AROSC TIME TRIALS AT CHUCKWALLA RACEWAY 2015 With Stock Set-up

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 63978080-3X5A4978.jpg
    63978080-3X5A4978.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 2,383
  • CVR_9204-May0215_by_Zack (1).jpg
    CVR_9204-May0215_by_Zack (1).jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 2,291
  • Nov-21-2015-Speed Ventures - 4-Purple - Turn 1 and 2-1055 - ODG_3522_Nov2115_by_ROBERT-CaliPhoto.jpg
    Nov-21-2015-Speed Ventures - 4-Purple - Turn 1 and 2-1055 - ODG_3522_Nov2115_by_ROBERT-CaliPhoto.jpg
    547.2 KB · Views: 2,105
  • Nov-22-2015-Speed Ventures - 4-Purple - Turn 9-11AM - REG_051267_Nov2215_by_ROBERT-CaliPhoto (2).jpg
    Nov-22-2015-Speed Ventures - 4-Purple - Turn 9-11AM - REG_051267_Nov2215_by_ROBERT-CaliPhoto (2).jpg
    503.8 KB · Views: 2,081
Last edited by a moderator:
Looking forward to seeing the pics.

Very nice build. Did you knock off a bank?

Na! I'm just spending some of my inheritance!

- - - Updated - - -

Looking forward to seeing the pics.

I'm still waiting for the 2002 rear valance to arrive, then I'll have the various parts painted. Then I'll take some pics.

Wow you so cal nsx guys dont mess around!!! I recently did the Ti Dave rear non compliance parts and holy shat ME LIKES!!! :D Look forward to seeing you soon Mario.. Glad you started a build thread.. keep us updated :)

Wow you so cal nsx guys dont mess around!!! I recently did the Ti Dave rear non compliance parts and holy shat ME LIKES!!! :D Look forward to seeing you soon Mario.. Glad you started a build thread.. keep us updated :)

Yes, I noticed a big difference on how my car handled on the track after installing the non-compliant rear bearing and toe, links along with all the other suspension mods that I had done.

Yes, when the hood and 2002 rear valance are painted, I'll post some pics!

Last edited:
Funny, I can open them. I'll upload them again.

- - - Updated - - -

I re-uploaded the photos. Hopefully they are visible or can now be opened.

Once the 2002 rear valence and front spoiler come in, I'll have them and the hood painted.

Also, here is a PIC of the hood latches. They will be painted the same color as the hood.

View attachment 125739

Very nice. It will look spectacular once painted up.

I purchased those very hood latches and pins but was warned off on installing them as overkill. How do you like them and how much trouble were they to install?

Very nice. It will look spectacular once painted up.

I purchased those very hood latches and pins but was warned off on installing them as overkill. How do you like them and how much trouble were they to install?

The pins are non-intrusive, particularly after I have them painted. I had the pins installed by Werks II, a guy in Burbank who sells racing gear and also builds Porsche race cars. In order to have the pin penetrate the hood at a none reinforcement frame location, he had to install metal bracket that extends the pin location in a few inches.

All that I have read is if you install an after market carbon fiber or plastic hood, you need to install hood latches as a precaution. Carbon fiber and plastic hoods can and have come off, particularly at high speeds.

I'm still waiting for parts. If they don't get in soon, I'll have to wait until mid August to have them painted and installed since I will be out of the country the first part of August.

The one problem that I'm having currently is that Stop Tech no longer provides a parking brake with their big brake kits. I don't understand why they stopped including the parking brake. I does not make sense to me. You can just rely in keeping the car in gear on a steep hill!

Last edited:
I now have all of the parts that were on back order:

2002 Rear Valence
Shin Front Lip
CF Rear Window Garnish
Front Under tray
Battery Under tray

The car will go into the shop at the end of the week for parts installation and painting. Photos to come!

The pins are non-intrusive, particularly after I have them painted. I had the pins installed by Werks II, a guy in Burbank who sells racing gear and also builds Porsche race cars. In order to have the pin penetrate the hood at a none reinforcement frame location, he had to install metal bracket that extends the pin location in a few inches.

All that I have read is if you install an after market carbon fiber or plastic hood, you need to install hood latches as a precaution. Carbon fiber and plastic hoods can and have come off, particularly at high speeds.

My carbon fiber hood has at been at a buck sixty on 2 runs and a buck seventy five on another run with no pins. But best to play it safe since you are tracking the car alot. Mine probably won't see those speeds again if the wife has anything to say about it, but she doesn't.:biggrin:

Anyways the build is looking good, can't wait to see it in person.

This was my friend's car when I was at Laguna Seca 4 wks ago. Avid racer. Lots of track of experience. Well built car, except he chose not to use hood pins :)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/BnmJ4SdakBw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

- - - Updated - - -

My car will do about 140 in that front straight. His a little slower I think... Just sayin :) :) :)

Hey Mario, nice build! How about using the Aerocatch Hood latches? They sit flush and look great. Haven't heard of any failures.

I considered the Aerocatch Hood Latches, but I went with the mini latches in that they are much smaller and less visible.

I just installed the SOS CF rear window garnish, I'll post pics shortly.

Back