• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Aftermarket Pioneer AVIC-8100NEX Stereo wiring schematic question

Hi, I have read quite a few aftermarket stereo threads but can't seem to find answers to my questions. First of all, it seems like the new Pioneer flagship AVIC-82100NEX is the head unit to get these days for Apple Carplay and Android Auto support. Since it's double DIN, I would need to either modify my existing center console or buy SoS composite center console with mounting kit and ipp-758 wiring harness.

Before I proceed to spend this money, I just wanted to make sure that I know how to wire the new head unit so I ran thru what I think is the correct wiring based on page 23-234 of 1991 NSX service manual and Pioneer's installation document . There is a back view of the Pioneer head unit to make things more concrete.

TerminalWireConnects Toipp-758AVIC-8100NEX
A1WHTPassenger’s door speaker amp +RCA-MaleFront Right RCA-Female
A2WHTDriver’s door speaker amp+RCA-MaleFront Left RCA-Female
A3Red/BlkLights-on signal (dash and console lights)Red/BlkOrange/White - pwr cord #1 (page 8)
A4wht/yelConstant powerwhite/yelYellow - pwr cord #1 (page 8)
A5Yel/RedACC (II) main stereo powerYel/RedRed - pwr cord #1 (page 8)
A6Pnk/whtRadio switch pwr (to antenna & relay) - NSX antenna is retracted by default and only when the radio is turned on that a signal is sent to the antenna mast to have it extend out.pnk/whtBlue/White(System Remote Control) - pwr cord #1 (page 9)
To auto-antenna relay control terminal or antenna booster power control terminal (max. 300 mA 12 V DC). If the vehicle has a glass antenna, connect to the antenna booster power control terminal (max. 300 mA 12 V DC)
A7WHTDriver Foot well base speaker (+)RCA-MaleRear left RCA-Female
A8WHTPasenger foot well base speaker (+)RCA-MaleRear right RCA-Female
A9ORNPassenger door speaker amp (-)RCA-MaleFront right RCA-Female
A10ORNDriver door speaker amp (-)RCA-MaleFront left RCA-Female
A11Orn/whtcell phone mute signal (not applicable?)
A12blk/brnSecurity (IN) - This goes to NSX Security control Unit. What if this is not connected?
A13blk/lt grnSecurity ground (G404)
A14blkGroundblkBlack - pwr cord #1 (page 8)
A15ORNDriver Foot well speakers (-)RCA-MaleRear Front RCA-Female
A16ORNPassenger foot well speaker(-)RCA-MaleRear right RCA-Female

<tbody>
</tbody>

My questions are as follow:
Terminal A6 Pink/WHT wire for radio switch power connecting to Pioneer's blue/white wire. Pioneer mentions max of 300mA but is there an agreeable upon signal that is used to extend the antenna? How does the Mast antenna know it needs to be extended?

Terminal A12 and A13 that go to the NSX security control unit seems to be problematic. I have no idea what this is doing? If I leave these two wires disconnected since there is nothing on the Pioneer side to connect these wires to, what would be the repercussion? Is it ok to leave these 2 wires disconnected?

I also want to connect a backup camera, which this pioneer unit does support. However, according to page 11 of the pioneer installation manual, the Violet/white wire (REVERSE-GEAR SIGNAL INPUT) needs to be connected so that this product can detect whether the vehicle is moving forwards or backwards to engage the backup camera. But where do I connect this wire to on the NSX to detect that the reverse gear was engaged? I didn't see any schematics to this effect on the NSX electrical wiring section of the manual.

I got the pioneer head unit and the harness and wired things up and discovered that the following is the correct wiring schematic for this combo:

[---------------16P connector on the NSX------------------------]

Terminal
Wire
Connects To
SoS ipp-758
AVIC-8100NEX
A1
WHT
Passenger’s door speaker amp +
Red RCA-Male (gray wire “Right Front+” )
Front Right RCA-Female
A2
WHT
Driver’s door speaker amp+
Black RCA-Male (white wire “Left Front +”)
Front Left RCA-Female
A3
Red/Blk
Lights-on signal (dash and console lights)
ORANGE (“Dash light illumination”)
Orange/White - pwr cord #1 (page 8)
A4
wht/yel
Constant power
YELLOW (“battery/constant 12v+”)
Yellow - pwr cord #1 (page 8)
A5
Yel/Red
ACC (II) main stereo power
RED (“ignition switch 12v+”)
Red - pwr cord #1 (page 8)
A6
Pnk/wht
Radio switch pwr (to antenna & relay)
BLUE (“power antenna”)
Blue/White(System Remote Control) - pwr cord #1 (page 9)
To auto-antenna relay control terminal or antenna booster power control terminal (max. 300 mA 12 V DC). If the vehicle has a glass antenna, connect to the antenna booster power control terminal (max. 300 mA 12 V DC)
A7
WHT
Driver Foot well base speaker (+)
Black RCA-Male (green wire “Left Rear +”)
Left Rear
RCA-Female
A8
WHT
Passenger foot well base speaker (+)
Red RCA-Male (Purple wire “Right Rear +”)
Right Rear
RCA-Female
A9
ORN
Passenger door speaker amp (-)
Red RCA-Male (gray blk wire “Right Front -”)
Right Front
RCA-Female
A10
ORN
Driver door speaker amp (-)
Black RCA-Male (white blk wire “Left front -”)
Left Front
RCA-Female
A11
Orn/wht
cell phone mute signal (not applicable)
empty
N/A
A12
blk/brn
Security (IN) - This goes to NSX Security control Unit. No need to connect this.
empty
N/A
A13
blk/lt grn
Security ground (G404)
empty
N/A
A14
blk
Ground
Black (“Chassis Ground 12V-”)
Black - pwr cord #1 (page 8).
A15
ORN
Driver Foot well speakers (-)
Black RCA-Male (green/blk wire “Left Rear -”)
Left Rear
RCA-Female
A16
ORN
Passenger foot well speaker(-)
Red RCA-Male (purple/blk wire “Right Rear - “)
Right Rear
RCA-Female

<colgroup><col style="width: 78px"><col width="68"><col width="227"><col width="125"><col width="157"></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

Now, I have several issues:
1.) I have a turn on/off thump that is extremely annoying and loud. There is also hissing coming from all the speakers that I don't have with the OEM head unit. I researched some and bought two PAC SNI-1 Noise isolator and installed this inline with my RCA outs. This attenuated the hissing and the turn on and off thump but does not get rid of it entirely. Anyone know what's the root cause here that I can try to eliminate? I did check to make sure my pioneer HU is grounded to my chassis so not sure if I missed anything.
2.) I just stuffed my current head unit into the slot without any mounting bracket. Anyone knows what is a good mounting bracket to get that will fit? The SoS 2DIN mounting bracket does not seem to be the right at all. It seems like i just need a mounting plate of some sort that holds the head unit up and in place.
3.) Are their tips on how to properly cut a double DIN slot into the SoS center console? Can i just get a dremel and just cut into it without cracking the part?
4.) It seems like the SoS center console does not come with the aspirator fan mount, which seems to be rather important to connect. How are people doing this?
5.) I like to cut an ashtray slot as well so I can expose the following ports from the pioneer head unit inside the ashtray slot: 2 USB ports, 1 HDMI, 1 Microphone, and 1 AUX. Has anyone done something like this? It seems like i need to get a proper face plate and mounting bracket.

The reason I have this line of thinking above is that I don't want to modify my existing OEM center console in case I get nostalgic and want to revert back to my old head unit and center console. Thanks.

Sorry, I wasn't very clear. I'm trying to use my existing Bose Amps and speakers with a new Pioneer head unit. I do have two ground loop isolator (PAC SNI-1) installed which does attenuate the hiss and thump but does not completely eliminate it. I think the Pioneer to honda IOS harness probably makes more sense if I were to rip out the bose amps and speakers and get my own speakers (4-8ohms) that are compatible with the Pioneer head unit.

I wired up my pioneer avic with the ISO harness to the Bose amps, I just soldered in phono plugs which plug into the pre outs of the head unit (via ground loop isolators).
Can you not get a higher rated ground loop isolator? I bought some cheapies from eBay which are bulky but eliminate all popping and hiss.

Sorry, I wasn't very clear. I'm trying to use my existing Bose Amps and speakers with a new Pioneer head unit. I do have two ground loop isolator (PAC SNI-1) installed which does attenuate the hiss and thump but does not completely eliminate it. I think the Pioneer to honda IOS harness probably makes more sense if I were to rip out the bose amps and speakers and get my own speakers (4-8ohms) that are compatible with the Pioneer head unit.

Back