• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Stop Tech Big Brake Kit Help

I thought I saw my name mentioned so here's my feedback.

This is the e-brake I currently use. I worked directly with the mom/pop shop in Colorado to fit them on my NSX with the 14" rear rotors. I can't even remember their name.
20131102_164710_zpsa29ad92b.jpg

They work. They will keep my car stopped on a moderate hill but they are not strong enough to lock up the rear tires on demand. The reason why this unit doesn't work on the WP kits is because the leverage ratio on the e-brake lever that is actuated by the cable needs to increase. This means you have to reposition the e-brake cable mounting bracket on the e-brake mounting plate and machine new mounting holes. Once you increase the leverage ratio and reposition the angle of the cable then you increase the force that is applied to the rotor from the ebrake lever. You also need to bed in the e-brake pad. That increases it's effectiveness maybe 25%. I think I tried to explain this to Stephen before but it's kind of confusing over text. It's easier to explain in person i'm sure.

With that said, the Brembo e-brake is still the best i've tried. I'm installing these next on my car once I swap out my BBK setup to a custom one i'm working on.
20120319_203522.jpg

Spend once. Buy the Brembos.

Last edited:
Thanks for reminding me of the TNT shipping that was another major issue I had. For those who don't know TNT shipping here is a quick summery, You get the tracking # after the product has been deliver to your address. Plus I got a invoice from TNT stating that I have to pay the custom fee which was like 30$ (I didn't pay) I mean come on wp pro spend few extra bucks on a decent shipping company

Last edited:
Ryu keep us or rather me updated with your brake set up.

Ryu did try explaining things. But when you drive your car a few times a year, buy an expensive kit that should work and have x amount of time to mess with things there comes a certain point you say "screw it, it should have been worked out previously before selling the stupid product".

e-brake, not parking brake

They work. They will keep my car stopped on a moderate hill but they are not strong enough to lock up the rear tires on demand.

RYU points out something important here that I hope is not lost in this thread. Some posts talk about holding the car on a slight incline.

What should not be lost is the fact that the e-brake is an "e"mergency brake, not a parking brake. I hope no one considering a BBK would install one without some sort of e-brake. Two-by-fours in the trunk are great as wheel chocks to keep the car from rolling, but it won't help when going down the road at speed and the hydraulics fail, and all you're left with is downshifting.

Ryu keep us or rather me updated with your brake set up.

Ryu did try explaining things. But when you drive your car a few times a year, buy an expensive kit that should work and have x amount of time to mess with things there comes a certain point you say "screw it, it should have been worked out previously before selling the stupid product".
Will do and agree that these issues should have been worked out. I went the "tuner" route and had to figure out stuff for myself so it came w/ the territory.

RYU points out something important here that I hope is not lost in this thread. Some posts talk about holding the car on a slight incline.

What should not be lost is the fact that the e-brake is an "e"mergency brake, not a parking brake. I hope no one considering a BBK would install one without some sort of e-brake. Two-by-fours in the trunk are great as wheel chocks to keep the car from rolling, but it won't help when going down the road at speed and the hydraulics fail, and all you're left with is downshifting.
Thanks for the reminder to all. I agree.

This ebrake is probably more effective at slowing down the car strangely enough. It some ways it's probably safer too since its not so easy to abruptly lock up the rear tires which can easily induce a spin in panic situation. It's clamping grip which is directly related to the leverage ratio is near maybe 1:3. The OEM is probably 1:5 while the Brembo is like 1:7. I'm obviously guessing at the ratios to make a point but the Brembos are way more sensitive and for every 1/2" of movement of the hand brake lever you can go from free to lockup of the tires much quicker. The E-brake i'm using now pretty much needs the entire range of the hand brake lever to go from free to near lockup. Hope that makes sense...

RYU, is the Brembo E-Brake kit compatible with the Stop Tech BBK?
Don't know. You'll need to do some figuring out.

Put it this way... anything can be made to work with enough time, money, and effort.

You need to compare 3 measurements. If all of these are the same between the ST BBK and the Brembo BBK (whichever one that is) then it'll work w/o modifications.
* Rear Rotor Diameter (probably around 12.5-13")
* Rear Rotor hub Offset
* Rear Rotor thickness (probably around 28mm)

I got a response back from the company in the UK that makes brakes. They said that they do not make brake products that are compatible with other manufactures products.

- - - Updated - - -

I can confirm the handbrake kit is not available anymore.
StopTech is also not very willing to accommodate a small batch run.

We are working on a plug and play solution that will remedy the issue.
I should have more details very soon.

When you say "details very soon" what time frame do you mean? I want stay with the Stop Tech kit that I ordered. But, I dont want to drive without an e-brake for very long. Thanks!

Last edited:
I got a response back from the company in the UK that makes brakes. They said that they do not make brake products that are compatible with other manufactures products.

- - - Updated - - -

When you say "details very soon" what time frame do you mean? I want stay with the Stop Tech kit that I ordered. But, I dont want to drive without an e-brake for very long. Thanks!
I'm awaiting some technical details concerning a brake bracke fitment.
To confirm compatibility with StopTech.

And that UK Company HiSpec isn't very impressive stuff to be honest.

I canceled my order for the Stop Tech BBK and bit the bullet and bought a set of Brembos. I'll need to rob a bank on the way home tonight to help pay for them.

I canceled my order for the Stop Tech BBK and bit the bullet and bought a set of Brembos. I'll need to rob a bank on the way home tonight to help pay for them.

But surely the rear caliper of the Stoptech is independent of the e-brake? I have the stoptech front and rear. The e-brake caliper that came withe the kit was a brembo. All you need to do is have a plate made up replicating the one used by stoptech previously then identify a suitable small caliper. Lots of other car manufacturers like Ferrari, Aston etc use separate e-brake calipers so it's just a case of identifying a suitable one.. Not sure you needed to change your stoptech order or are you saying you've bought a whole kit including the e-brake?

Oh Stoptech uses the brembo e brake caliper? I've been looking at pictures but it doesn't look like one.

Brembo also from searching I think has two different e brake calipers from done image I saw. Not sure which one.

If someone though has the bracket it could easily be duplicated. We just need a volunteer.

But surely the rear caliper of the Stoptech is independent of the e-brake? I have the stoptech front and rear. The e-brake caliper that came withe the kit was a brembo. All you need to do is have a plate made up replicating the one used by stoptech previously then identify a suitable small caliper. Lots of other car manufacturers like Ferrari, Aston etc use separate e-brake calipers so it's just a case of identifying a suitable one.. Not sure you needed to change your stoptech order or are you saying you've bought a whole kit including the e-brake?

I bought a complete set of Brembo BBK's, front and rear. I also bought the Brembo e-brake. From the research that I did, there is no easy way to find and install an e-brake made by another company that is compatible with the Stop Tech BBK's.. I just did not want to go through the hassle of finding a solution. With the Brembos, I now have peace of mind that the e-brake will work in an emergency.

What are my options for bbk for all 4 corners that come with e-brake? I have an automatic so e-brake isn't as important as you stick guys but I'd still would like to have it.

Which brembos did you get? Did you call them like we discussed? I'd like to think they have a properly biased option by now...

I contacted Brembo, and they verified that the bias on the Brembos designed for the NSX, matches the OEM bias specks.

I contacted Brembo, and they verified that the bias on the Brembos designed for the NSX, matches the OEM bias specks.

It's the first time i hear the Brembo Kit has NSX Bias... I thought they used the same caliper F/R... It would be nice if you could ask Brembo, or check the pistons dimension when your kit arrive... aren't the pistons 36/40 on both front and rear calipers?

Looks like Adnan at A.S. Motorsports is working on a ebrake solution. He's always come thru for me before. I'd expect him to have an option soon.

+1 on Adnan

Thanks

Bruno

Last edited:
It's the first time i hear the Brembo Kit has NSX Bias... I thought they used the same caliper F/R... It would be nice if you could ask Brembo, or check the pistons dimension when your kit arrive... aren't the pistons 36/40 on both front and rear calipers?

+1 on Adnan

Thanks

Bruno
There is a new Brembo kit that is a 6 piston front and 4 piston rear. It's for a 18/19 setup. It's FAR too big for me but I know Brembo designed it for a customer. This is why suggested to Mario to call Brembo. I was betting they'd be able to put something together if they don't already have a public kit available.

Yes you're right. The old Lotus Brembo setup was a 50/50 setup.

Back