• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Stop Tech Big Brake Kit Help

I recently purchased a Stop Tech big brake kit for my 1997 NSX (still waiting for delivery). However, I just leaned from a Stop Tech representative that Stop Tech no longer sells a rear parking brake with their big brake kits. I know, it does not make sense that they would stop manufacturing the parking brake component. But, they must have their reasons.

Anyway, I feel uncomfortable not having a parking brake. I tried searching the web for an aftermarket parking brake that would would be compatible with a Stop Tech big brake kit for an NSX, but nothing pops up. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do? Are there any other aftermarket parking brake kits that I can buy?

Thanks in advance!

I recently purchased a Stop Tech big brake kit for my 1997 NSX (still waiting for delivery). However, I just leaned from a Stop Tech representative that Stop Tech no longer sells a rear parking brake with their big brake kits. I know, it does not make sense that they would stop manufacturing the parking brake component. But, they must have their reasons.

Anyway, I feel uncomfortable not having a parking brake. I tried searching the web for an aftermarket parking brake that would would be compatible with a Stop Tech big brake kit for an NSX, but nothing pops up. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do? Are there any other aftermarket parking brake kits that I can buy?

Thanks in advance!

brembo do one but its quite expensive, willwood do one but it only take a thin brake disc.

a lot of supercars come with them (r8, gallardo etc) so maybe look at ebay for those

there is a company in the uk that manufactures them but the name escapes me.

FWIW I received my Stoptech kit (with e-brake) a few weeks ago and my vendor also mentioned that Stoptech would possibly be discontinuing the parking brake going forward. My kit was delayed about 2 months due to sourcing the e-brake parts.

That is very disappointing. With such limited options for recommended big brake kits for our cars, coupling that with setups that actually work with an e brake, I guess brembo would be the other reasonable option.
The biasing is not that super on Brembo it requires you to alter your factory brake line layout adding a proportioning valve.

There's a place in Colorado that sells e brake assemblies. Although from my personal experience they're garbage. Wp pro used them and I never got them to work properly or 100% before selling my Wp pro kit. After adjusting and more adjusting I came to believe it was a fault in the tension lever on the design of the e brake.

Ryu has the same e brake setup and got it to work so maybe he'll chime in. But myself, a few others, and even our very own Larry b failed.

This is the place in Colorado.
http://www.ipsco.org

This sucks! Now my only option to do four corners is brembo or ap racing?

Very interesting indeed. Keep us updated.

Was the stop tech representative from stoptech or just a company that distributes stoptechs?

His e-mail address stated stoptech.com, so I assume he is a Stop Tech employee.

- - - Updated - - -

I can confirm the handbrake kit is not available anymore.
StopTech is also not very willing to accommodate a small batch run.

We are working on a plug and play solution that will remedy the issue.
I should have more details very soon.

Great, I'm looking forward to what you have to offer!

- - - Updated - - -

This sucks! Now my only option to do four corners is brembo or ap racing?

I just received a quote for an equivalent Brembo kit with e-brake and it is too expensive for me, $6,700.00!!!!!! I'm paying $3,700 for the Stop Tech kit with slotted, coated, rotors and no E-brake. I'll guess I'll have to carry 2x4 blocks in my trunk LOL

Last edited:

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

I just a quote for an equivalent Brembo kit with e-brake and it is too expensive for me, $6,700.00!!!!!!
That's hella cheap. SOS prices for 4 corners and e brake is almost 10k

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

I just a quote for an equivalent Brembo kit with e-brake and it is too expensive for me, $6,700.00!!!!!!
That's hella cheap. SOS prices for 4 corners and e brake is almost 10k.correction, 7k and change. Just looked it up.

There's a place in Colorado that sells e brake assemblies. Although from my personal experience they're garbage. Wp pro used them and I never got them to work properly or 100% before selling my Wp pro kit. After adjusting and more adjusting I came to believe it was a fault in the tension lever on the design of the e brake.

Ryu has the same e brake setup and got it to work so maybe he'll chime in. But myself, a few others, and even our very own Larry b failed.

This is the place in Colorado.
http://www.ipsco.org

I think i read somewhere that WP Pro Changed the design of the ebrake, can anyone confirm this? Does it work now?

I kind like the wavy rotor design, anyone using this on the NSX?

WP_Pro_CLA45-19.jpg

Last edited:
you could always heel/toe when parking and starting....:tongue:

No they didn't "change" the design. It was being worked on but nothing was changed. The issue with them is they released a product that didn't work, then I personally were in their ear about it.

After wasting countless hours of this and that, trying to adjust this and that to make it work and being on the phone and email with them it still never worked.

The most insulting thing was every time I would ask, Have you ever installed one on an nsx? The question was never answered directly. I finally got Sam in Canada that is either the owner or manager at WP to admit he's never done an install and it was made first on member hijackers car. They don't have access to a nsx, and their stupid excuse for when I could get the e brake to grip correctly was "the e brake assembly holds fine for cars that weight a lot more, and nobody else has complained, this is the first we're hearing about this"

Like I said, such a garbage company because I've talked to a number of owners about the e brake set up. Also Gee above spoke with Sam and told him his e brake does not work properly and Sam directly said he's never heard of it not working before to me. Wp pro is crap company that's made to look good and the calipers are made I taiwan.

Davidf. I hope you don't put those on your car. Let's see what the options are for stoptechs.

Actually like docjohn mentions in his post. The Wp e brake setup I had "worked" on a flat surface with a few rocks stuck behind the tires to keep the car from rolling. But if a strong gust of wing came then I wouldn't trust it to hold.

No they didn't "change" the design. It was being worked on but nothing was changed. The issue with them is they released a product that didn't work, then I personally were in their ear about it.

After wasting countless hours of this and that, trying to adjust this and that to make it work and being on the phone and email with them it still never worked.

The most insulting thing was every time I would ask, Have you ever installed one on an nsx? The question was never answered directly. I finally got Sam in Canada that is either the owner or manager at WP to admit he's never done an install and it was made first on member hijackers car. They don't have access to a nsx, and their stupid excuse for when I could get the e brake to grip correctly was "the e brake assembly holds fine for cars that weight a lot more, and nobody else has complained, this is the first we're hearing about this"

Like I said, such a garbage company because I've talked to a number of owners about the e brake set up. Also Gee above spoke with Sam and told him his e brake does not work properly and Sam directly said he's never heard of it not working before to me. Wp pro is crap company that's made to look good and the calipers are made I taiwan.

Davidf. I hope you don't put those on your car. Let's see what the options are for stoptechs.

Actually like docjohn mentions in his post. The Wp e brake setup I had "worked" on a flat surface with a few rocks stuck behind the tires to keep the car from rolling. But if a strong gust of wing came then I wouldn't trust it to hold.

Thanks very much for your input...

To bad they didn't solve th e-brake problem... I'll be on the market on the near future for a BBK and i also need a setup with an e-brake that works since I'll have to pass legal inspection...

At least did the wp pro brake perform well? have you experienced any other problems?

Thanks

My experience with this kit was not good. Besides the ebrake issue, which I explained to the vendor his level bracket was designed wrong, got revised brackets, and it was still not right. I installed these for Jizheng (post #12 above). Shortly after he got the car back he called me and said there was brake fluid all over one of his wheels. The vendor stated they must have been installed wrong, non-sense! I have installed a few brake kits in my day;). Ended up the vendor retracted and stated it was the paint on the caliper that caused the leak, really?? I will not install these again, as Jizheng states, even on my worst enemies NSX. My suggestion is to move on, find another kit. I felt like after what we went through, this was a prototype kit and I was the engineer sorting it out.

My $.02

Regards,
LarryB

They never attempted to solve the e brake issue TBH. When I had the brakes they worked great... Until one of the calibers started leaking fluid out of 1 of the piston. Got new calibers try to put the old pads into 1 of the new calibers it did not fit lmao I had to shave the edge of the brake pad to make it fit. i didn't have the Patient to find out what else problem I would encounter so I sold them

I had bleeder valve that seeped at high speed braking, nothing where it was noticeable amount missing but a light stain on the calipers would always indicate such. I bought my kit used though from another prime member and had it installed initially by another prime member.

Throughout the year I drove and it braked fine. I needed up spider webbing all 4 rotors at VIR in August.

I spoke with Sam about my bleeder issue and of course the issue was "I was bought used". I stated that although bought used it only had x amount of miles. I told him it was a defective set of brakes since I also had them visually inspected by Ben at daisy auto. He stated the threads inside looked fine and at that time we replaced the bleeder screws with new ones from Wp.

The issue continued and Wp agreed that if I were to purchase new ones I could ship the old ones back and receive a refund for the one ones bought if they were defective. That was after testing...

I told Sam I don't feel confident that I trust their testing since he couldn't tell me exactly how things were being tested nor did he say where it was being done. Things were shady at this point. But I agreed to ship my calipers back and pay up. He told me testing was being done "in house". They also wouldn't give me an address to ship too but had labels printed and then picked up.

After the deadline being missed and me not able to drive my car after a vacation planned for Christmas up north the brakes were delivered roughly 2 months later. During that time Sam would NOT give me tracking information. He stated its a large company and they were shipped. I repeatedly asked why no tracking information was given or could be found. He again stated he would look into it and gave excuses. Previously it should be noted I wanted things shipped fedex since I ship a lot of items and I trust fedex.

After weeks of not getting tracking and waiting I got more fed up. Sam never found tracking but stated the brakes were sitting in customs and that's why things were being delayed. He then told me it was because customs was waiting to be paid. Well I've never heard that, and if that's the case wouldn't you think such a large company would pay customs to release that order, or it would be figured out quicker?

The brakes came via tnt shipping. I was not refunded the full amount but rather half of the new calipers. Reason being they found slight cross threading on the bottom half of the caliper due to over torquing.

Over torqing you say. Well before agreeing to ship my calipers out and buying new I was told that a race team was able to replicate my issue with seeping calipers. The answer that they came up with was to torque the bleeder to 32lbs of torque. That solved the issue for the race team and Sam suggested I give it a try.

My answer to Sam was "in the manual is suggests xx inch pounds, I'm over doubling the torque on that bleeder. That's extremely tight on a 10mm or 12mm bleeder. I'm very hesitant to do so because if I do, who's to say it will solve the problem, and who's to say that when I do ship my calipers back for inspection later who will the blame be placed on from cross threading or over torquing."

I decided to not do so and ship my calipers back. But it seemed to me I was being set up to fail in that situation because once over torqued things are stretched.

All this brings back to many vivid memories. I don't recommend Wp pro and their e brake setup still to this day I'm sure doesn't work.

Back