• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Squeaky Clutch pedal

Last couple weeks when I step on the clutch pedal it makes a loud squeak. Loud enough to hear it outside the car. Can I lubricate the pedal or is there something else going on? Other than that the car goes into gear fine it doesn't slip. Just loud squeak engaging and disengaging the clutch.

Are you sure that it is the pedal mechanism? If you can hear it outside of the car, it might be the tip of the plunger on the hydraulic servo that actuates the clutch. I had a slight noise accompanied with what felt like the clutch pedal mechanism had some grit in it when you depressed the clutch pedal. Its a pain to get to; but, clean off the tip of the plunger if possible and then apply some grease (I think high temp grease is the correct grease) to the plunger tip. Solved my problem.

I had a squeak also accompanied by a little "catch" in the clutch peddle. I started by doing exactly what Old Guy did, but greasing that cup (which took about 30 minutes and cost zero) with no improvement. Ended up being the throw out bearing which was replaced when the motor was pulled for 60k service and a new clutch.....that repair took a bit more than 30 minutes and zero dollars.

I had a similar issue. It was because the klutz who replaced my clutch didn't read the manual and didn't lube the fork. It's a PITA to lube it while assembled, but I convinced my (new) tech to give it a go. Helped considerably. Now it only occasionally rubs a bit. (There's a thread somewhere here on Prime that includes photos on how to do this.)

Is there any damage being done? ...or is it just an annoying noise?

Is there any damage being done? ...or is it just an annoying noise?

If it's loud and you can feel it through your foot, then you probably should make the effort to lubricate it. If it's just occasional and only slightly annoying, the clutch assembly will probably outlast any other part of the car...

To reinforce cmthomson's point, lubricate the pivot point and see if the noise goes away or is at least greatly reduced because if it doesn't go away, then the problem is likely someplace else. If that someplace else is the clutch release bearing, its going to get worse and could fail at an inopportune time.

Are you one of those guys that comes to a red light and leaves the car in gear with the clutch depressed? If so, that does contribute to accelerated wear of the release bearing.

No usually I just pop the car in nuetral once I am going below 10 mphs. I'll try lubricating it. The pivot point you are referring to is where the pedal pivots at?

Nukem;1868983 The pivot point you are referring to is where the pedal pivots at?[/QUOTE said:
No. The common source of noise and a slightly 'gritty' feel when pressing down on the clutch pedal is where the tip of the slave plunger presses against the 'cup' on the fork or lever which actuates the clutch. It is, as noted by others, a pain to get at. Refer to attached picture.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. The pedal goes in and out smooth just noisy.

Back