• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Clarion Builds - 1991 Acura NSX - Full Build Thread

Just watched Drive, why was the car lugging in safe mode? Was it not pulling enough timing for the IATs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why does this car not have a DA aftercooler? It'd prob be in the 430 hp range with one at the same boost pressure.

Yeah but the boost drop should be less than 1.5 psi. Which in turn means lower boost overall and less motor wear. It is def my next mod paired with high boost pulley.

Yeah but the boost drop should be less than 1.5 psi. Which in turn means lower boost overall and less motor wear. It is def my next mod paired with high boost pulley.
I think of it this way... If your motor is already working hard trying to build 9psi (high boost) then you're just going to choke it down to 7.5psi then that's a lot of lost and wasted energy. The parasitic drag on the SC itself is bad enough. It's made worse by restricting the flow it tried hard to build up in the first place. 2 steps forward, 1 step back is how I think of it. There are more efficient ways to cool IAT.

$0.02

Last edited:
Agreed RYU, but how much per year do you spend on boost juice? What happens when you run low? Or if you forget to prepare for a track event? I think both have advantages and disadvantages definitely. Meth is a great alternative on the cheap to keep cooling in check, or to stay awake for a week and steal things;-). But overall, what is the cost you spend for it? Just asking, not being arrogant. Hijaked thread alert.:)

I must also say that the very near 300 ft lb of torque on a ctsc motor is very nice! Not quite turbo territory but we all know snails take time to get up to speed. That is the trade off...

Agreed RYU, but how much per year do you spend on boost juice? What happens when you run low? Or if you forget to prepare for a track event? I think both have advantages and disadvantages definitely. Meth is a great alternative on the cheap to keep cooling in check, or to stay awake for a week and steal things;-). But overall, what is the cost you spend for it? Just asking, not being arrogant. Hijaked thread alert.:)
My car is not tuned for meth or any mix of it. If it runs out liquid cooling or if the pump fails etc then IATs goes hot and the ECU compensates - no big deal. I can run distilled water if I wanted to which it's about $1 a gallon at my local grocery store. Running the boost juice is just added insurance. It's like running 93 octane when you're car is only tuned for 87. Running 100% water actually cools incrementally better than a 50/50 mix.

oh.. to answer your question.. in normal driving (in town, canyons) I go through about 1/2 gallon for 1 full tank of gas. On the fwy on long commutes.. i use almost nothing because its setup to spray only under moderate to high boost. At the track I use up a full gallon in about 25-30 mins which is about the length of one session in a typical HPDE day.

Sorry for the hijack.

oh.. to answer your question.. in normal driving (in town, canyons) I go through about 1/2 gallon for 1 full tank of gas. On the fwy on long commutes.. i use almost nothing because its setup to spray only under moderate to high boost. At the track I use up a full gallon in about 25-30 mins which is about the length of one session in a typical HPDE day.

Sorry for the hijack.

Good to know! Those were the answers I was looking for!

If it's track driven on hot days still have the potential to overheat but better than nothing. Will reduce flow as well.

The best solution I've found is what I implemented on my build.

You have the A.S. Gaskets and water/meth right? I was thinking about going with the gaskets, you mentioned almost a 30 degree difference with those right? Pretty incredible gain for the money.

You have the A.S. Gaskets and water/meth right? I was thinking about going with the gaskets, you mentioned almost a 30 degree difference with those right? Pretty incredible gain for the money.

Yes. Happy to discuss more on my thread or in a new one. Didn't want to sidetrack this one too much

My setup.....

Back