• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Acura representative says 0-60 time is 3.4 seconds

my order comment was to pegi who asked why anyone cares as no one is buying one anyway.

Please explain why I would be trying to impress a nobody I have never heard of, have never met, and will never meet? I'm sorry but I don't even recognise your username.

Last edited:
Yes the cam is directly above the valves and act on the buckets and solid lifters like a proper race motor, while the NSX has hydraulic lifters and followers.

Which NSX are you talking about? NA1/NA2 (C30A/C32B) have nothing hydraulic about their valvetrain (except for how vtech rocker engages the adjacent rockers, which is not what we are talking about) and you seem to be saying new NSX engine is sweet because it has solid lifters. When cars have hydraulic lifters (or hydraulic pivots, in designs like NA1/2 with overhead cam with rockers/followers) you don't have to adjust the valves and lash is zero (even when cold) so no tapping sounds (even when cold). NSX, conversely, needs periodic valve adjustment (the pivot is a solid rocker shaft) and has louder tapping when cold (some lash gap). Hydraulic would have been a very poor choice for an engine that revs up to 8000 RPM (end up with valve float or too little lift at high RPMs depending on which way the hydraulics are unable to keep up with the higher RPMs).

So difference is not solid vs hydraulic (since both are solid) but placement of cams relative to valves (directly over vs offset) and resulting design (cam directly operates valves vs pushing on rockers which operate the valves). Eliminating the moving weight of the rockers seems like a benefit.

Assuming you are right about the new cam placement, it will be interesting to see how Honda implements VTEC. Except for cars where only timing/phasing is varied (by adjustable sprocket), VTEC generally relies on locking 2-3 rockers (following two different profiles) to each other. Take away the rockers...

Last edited:
I said the 3.5L Ford Ecoboost motor was sweet because of its solid lifters and direct cam actuation, while the NA1/2 NSX has hydraulic LMAs, but a direct rocker actuation like you said so I guess it isn't really a hydraulic vs. Solid.

I have not looked at the 2.0 NSXs motor.

I said the 3.5L Ford Ecoboost motor was sweet because of its solid lifters and direct cam actuation, while the NA1/2 NSX has hydraulic LMAs, but a direct rocker actuation like you said so I guess it isn't really a hydraulic vs. Solid.

I have not looked at the 2.0 NSXs motor.

I totally read your initial comment in the wrong context. Didn't thoroughly read comment above you. Instead, skimming I saw people complaining about NSXv2's lack of power then you saying "not a crap engine." D'oh!

While the 1991-1999 LMAs are of a piston design and oil gets in them to lubricate them, all of the force is due to an internal spring. There is no oil being forced into them to help with their function of pushing up on the follower/rocker - nothing hydraulic about them. 2000 they switched to an all-spring (no piston) design. SOS sells a nice retrofit kit with these plus an appropriate shim for dropping into a 1991-1999.

Who cares of those fucking few 0.2-0.4s/ Is it going to be 2.9 or 3.4 s?
How many people here is going to buy the car either? How does that 0.3 s/0-60mph change your life? There is also day after day faster cars available in the market. I think people who will buy this car will update their new nsx's anyway to get it faster :)
+1
The new NSX in standard version will have plenty of power for most owners. Acura US won't be disappointing 99 % of their potential customers. With the new NSX I guess that the driver will be the limiting factor, not the car. And I would not be surprised if 99% of the cars stay stock (except the exhaust) for the first 5 years.

For those of you who want to go faster it's up to you to boost it even more. For those of you who are going to track it, it's up to you...Acura is not a racing car builder.

Comparing 0-60 times is like comparing dyno sheets. Instead of different dynos you have different tracks, drivers, weather conditions and so on. I would be much more interested in how the car drives with the new combination of technologies.

Honda should want to be top dog Japanese car marker so it should be faster than the outgoing GTR. When the new GTR comes out Honda can just turn up the boost.
But it remains to be seen what the cost of maintenance will be. the drivetrain setup seems like it will need to be tuned a lot more than your average Honda tune up intervals like what we have now.

Last edited:
I know from friends that a top gtr aftermarket drivetrain component supplier have an NSX on order and are planning to start a new focus in its direction.

They are twin clutch gearbox experts but their main concern is that with 9 speeds the thickness of the gears will be reduced compared with the very large 6 speed of the gtr whose gears are tiny compared with those in the aventador. I mention this comparison because both are large high power 4wd cars.

The saving grace for the NSX is its gearbox only has to cope with driving on axle which hugely reduces the shock loading of launching because two wheels are much more easy to spin than 4.

Actually I have huge hopes for the launching potential (though drag racing doesn't massively interest me, I still relish the capacity for it). I think launching the car initially using the incredibly easily controlled electric motors to eliminate wheels pin followed by perfectly controlled introduction of ICE power onto already gripping wheels will yield incredible results with significantly reduced strain on the drivetrain.

No one expresses any concern about launching a tesla and the nsx could be no different since it's 0 to >0 that damages clutches and gearboxes.

2000 they switched to an all-spring (no piston) design. SOS sells a nice retrofit kit with these plus an appropriate shim for dropping into a 1991-1999.
Wait, i have the SOS retrofit kit here, i dont see any shim ? Only the spring loaded LMAs.

For those of you who are going to track it, it's up to you...Acura is not a racing car builder.
But Honda is, and the first NSX was tracked even at Le Mans. I really expect to see the NSX 2.0 there (or in another competition..). The GTR is there, if Honda want to come back they have to show up their stuff where it matters.

Last edited:
Wait, i have the SOS retrofit kit here, i dont see any shim ? Only the spring loaded LMAs.

Springs and shims come separate as 11 of the LMAs in the picture below are shown. Once shim is shoved into LMA spring (12th in picture below) it is pretty firmly there. You missing the shims or are they already inserted?

https://www.scienceofspeed.com/inde...lost-motion-assembly-lma-kit-nsx-1991-99.html

Back to original topic, the video was pulled from youtube by person who posted it. 3.4 seconds does sound slow spec-wise for a modern supercar. The E63 AMG 4MATIC is a 4431lbs sedan with 557hp (official, actual is higher) that hits 60 in 3.4 seconds.

enpp-661.jpg

Last edited:
Ah i see, thanks :) They are already inserted.

While 0-60 times are not so important i think, the time quoted may lead to think the car is quite heavy, or lacks traction somehow ? Maybe to protect the transmission gearing (9 speed seems a lot, curious to see how it will sustain increased power once enthusiasts start boosting it more)

Ah i see, thanks :) They are already inserted.

While 0-60 times are not so important i think, the time quoted may lead to think the car is quite heavy, or lacks traction somehow ? Maybe to protect the transmission gearing (9 speed seems a lot, curious to see how it will sustain increased power once enthusiasts start boosting it more)
Is it the same tranny going into the 2016 TLX and MDX?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZF_9HP_transmission

DCTs don't have torque converters. Only autos do.

the C of DCT stands for clutch. Becauses autos have torque converters, they don't need conventional clutches.

DCTs don't have torque converters. Only autos do.

While DCTs don't need torque converters, there is no reason they cannot have one. And in fact the DCT in the ILX uses a torque converter, presumably to smooth the torque transitions. But I imagine that the NSX will not do so for a few reasons including directness of the drivetrain and weight.

Thanks for the info, we don't have the ilx over here so I wasn't aware of the tech. Seems very odd to take a super efficient design and add in the least efficient bit of the tech it was designed to replace. Even more strange as a decent dct is as smooth as almost any auto I've driven.

The DCT in the 2.4l TLX also comes with a torque converter. (Basically same power train as the ILX.)

the torque converter is to improve smoothness from launch, or during very low speeds, which a lot of traditional automated manuals/DCTs have issues with. Once at speed the torque converter locks, so there is no real inefficiency to the design.

And in fact the DCT in the ILX uses a torque converter, presumably to smooth the torque transitions.

I have a ILX this very moment as a loaner car and like the drive train.

The ONLY issues I have is that there is a slight delay in response when I am coasting and immediately stomp on the pedal - as if it's "thinking" about what to do.

Once the gear is engaged the car shifts smooth and very fast.

New Civic Type-R faster than an M3 in track test! Since when could a stock Civic even dream of hanging with an M3? If this car is representative of Honda's reemerging emphasis on performance then the new NSX should be an amazing performer.

- - - Updated - - -

I have a ILX this very moment as a loaner car and like the drive train.

The ONLY issues I have is that there is a slight delay in response when I am coasting and immediately stomp on the pedal - as if it's "thinking" about what to do.

Once the gear is engaged the car shifts smooth and very fast.

The old ILX with 2.4L engine and 6-speed manual was a lot more fun to drive, mostly because of the manual transmission. It's really a shame to see them get rid of the manual transmission since Honda makes the best 6-speed transmissions in the world.

I'd really like to see Acura release a version of the ILX that's based on the Civic Type-R. (Currently the ILX is more or less a heavily modified Civic Si). This would provide customers with a version of the Civic Type-R minus the boy racer styling. It would be an RS3 competitor.

New Civic Type-R faster than an M3 in track test! Since when could a stock Civic even dream of hanging with an M3? If this car is representative of Honda's reemerging emphasis on performance then the new NSX should be an amazing performer.

- - - Updated - - -

The old ILX with 2.4L engine and 6-speed manual was a lot more fun to drive, mostly because of the manual transmission. It's really a shame to see them get rid of the manual transmission since Honda makes the best 6-speed transmissions in the world.

I'd really like to see Acura release a version of the ILX that's based on the Civic Type-R. (Currently the ILX is more or less a heavily modified Civic Si). This would provide customers with a version of the Civic Type-R minus the boy racer styling. It would be an RS3 competitor.

It's interesting to see the reaction from the fanboys on the comments for the video. The ones where they insult the driver mostly for not being capable enough to handle the M3.

Also, I agree Acura should make their own high end version.

Back