• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

08261-MTF-L00 is the only MTF sold by Honda here

Hi all. Yes as the title suggests, all I could get from Honda NZ's main distribution centre was 08261-MTF-L00. According to their system that's the only MTF they sell.
I drained out the current unknown oil, it looked very clean, and then replaced with the new Honda MTF, took approx. 3 litres. Went for a quick skid and it didn't seem any different. The gearbox has only done 26,000kms from new and doesn't exhibit any issues prior so I assume it was OEM to start with.

My question is, is this the equivalent to the white cap/blue cap every one talks about? Thanks

Pics:
ajscjc.jpg

30910xu.jpg

The NSX service manual just specifies MTL, not white cap MTL. I have a feeling that the white cap thing is a North American specific 'packaging'. I think the white cap product number is 08798 9031. Sometimes they add an A at the end for Acura (and some $). At the local Acura dealership here the MTL has a black cap like yours and they profess no knowledge of whitecap when asked. I also think your product number is probably specific to Oz and Kiwi land!

Your oil is GL4 and 75W80 so it should be OK. This reference suggests that your 08261 and the 08798 9031 all cross reference to the same thing.

http://blusynthetic.com/sites/default/files/75W-80 Technician Series MTF-FS (PDS).pdf

Here's the US Honda MTF (Manual) bottle. General consensus is that fluids like this MTF, 50/50 coolant, etc.. are the same between Acura and Honda in the US.
Unfortunately, there are no specifications on the bottle.

Since these are made in the US, I'm assuming various countries just make their own version to Honda specifications.

Mike B

Last edited:
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n63/samidbs/mtf2honda.jpg

that's what it looks like in Europe.

Interesting is the fact that it states 75w80 GL4 on the NZ version. Honda normally is really strict with not showing what their products actually are.

75w80 seems appropriate though.

Bernhard

AU and NZ have consumer laws that force the manufacturer to disclose certain info to better inform and protect the consumer :drunk:

Back