• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Clutch Recommendation

My 97 NSX needs a new clutch. I've searched the forums and found two clutch manufacturers that are commonly used by the NSX community, the Clutch Master and SOS clutches. I track my car 4 to 6 times a year, and I have a stock engine and I do not plan to install a supercharger or turbo kit. Which manufacture is better, and which clutch model would be best for my needs?

Thanks,

Last edited:
I think the big advantage of the OEM clutch is its known longevity. I have the SOS Sport 350 (supercharged engine) and have absolutely nothing but good things to say so far. If anything, I prefer it to the OEM clutch, but they feel quite similar. The caveat is that I've only been ~2k miles on it so far.

I've decided to go with an OEM clutch and a lightweight flywheel. Does anyone know where I can get these parts at a good price? What lightweight flywheel manufacturer and model number is recommended, and where to buy?

Thanks,

I don't think a lwfw exist for the OEM clutch for the 6spd. You also might consider NOT using the OEM dual mass flywheel that comes stock on the 6spd. It's probably the 2nd most annoying aspect of an na2 I personally can't stand next to the cowl shake/flex. Also lots of people use the SOS clutch but also lots of failures just search mexiricer's post as an example. Ideally swapping out to the type r input shaft opens up more choices for you like my favorite the OS giken STR2C but that can be cost prohibitive unless you're already doing say LSD upgrades. If go with the CT Powergrip clutch it I was in your shoes. Just my a little too opinionated $0.02

Last edited:
I don't think a lwfw exist for the OEM clutch for the 6spd. You also might consider NOT using the OEM dual mass flywheel that comes stock on the 6spd. It's probably the 2nd most annoying aspect of an na2 I personally can't stand next to the cowl shake/flex. Also lots of people use the SOS clutch but also lots of failures just search mexiricer's post as an example. Ideally swapping out to the type r input shaft opens up more choices for you like my favorite the OS giken STR2C but that can be cost prohibitive unless you're already doing say LSD upgrades. If go with the CT Powergrip clutch it I was in your shoes. Just my a little too opinionated $0.02

CT has two clutch models, a Powergrip 1 and a Powergrip 2. Based on my engine HP, the Powergrip appears to the choice for my car. Is this what you had in mind?

Listen to Regan, he is the Master of One Thousand Clutches. He's done more research and experienced more clutches than all of us combined.

I miss my power grip clutch. That thing hooked up and grabbed instantly before lighting up the rear end. The only down fall, a pretty heavy pedal when in traffic. I hav Oem now and it's light as a feather on the pedal but you can never feel it grab, it's spongy, and won't hold a high rpm launch with my ctsc.

It's just that not all of us are prepared to switch to the longer-spline input shaft. And that leaves very few options. There seem to be negative experiences with everything (other than OEM). E.g., docjohn had a couple of Powergrip clutches fail very early as I remember it.

JC is much too kind. I'm probably just guilty of having the loudest voice without much substance. But thank you JC.

agree with Jason in that all the nsx clutches have a failure story it seems like. Makes sense because clutches are precision instruments that get ridiculously abused all things considered.

mario, everything is a compromise with clutches. you might find it helpful to build a list and rank according to these criteria. I will help you but you need to figure out what's important to you. For example I chose the OS Giken because it excels at all of these except noise which is a deal breaker for some people.

pedal pressure
engagement characteristics
durabilty/quality of disk(s) and pressure plate
cost
moment of inertia (aka how light the flywheel is)
torque holding rating
noise

you can try [MENTION=25247]MexiRicer[/MENTION] clutch. He's local.

Not trying to dog any clutches out other than ct or os giken, but when speaking with master Shad I was told to run nothing but these two if switching back to aftermarket. His tests are in agreement to Regan's choice of the giken.
As for my own ct power grip, it was on the car when I bought it and it was just about toast. Pedal pressure wasn't crazy but a big difference from that to oem. When my Oem is gone, I will probably go back to the ct / Sachs clutch, made in Germany.

not that i have much insight to this as i have an NA1 but I did buy my car with a higher torque SOS clutch in and it failed pretty horribly, luckily i wasnt far from my dealer when the noise started

My clutches were used at high rpm on track for many miles and lots of shifts...the last one gave up at xpo vir but I'm thinking the skid pad on R comps didn't help it.:eek:

not that i have much insight to this as i have an NA1 but I did buy my car with a higher torque SOS clutch in and it failed pretty horribly, luckily i wasnt far from my dealer when the noise started
I will not say anything to dog SOS but your experience is on par with the majority. I love SOS. But I think there are better clutch options.

I have a SoS Sport 350 we just had it refurbed here as it was shot but that was more to do with how I treated it than the make up of the clutch itself so we replaced the organic material with a kevlar one as that was the part that broke and a new heavy duty pressure plate

I have the power grip on my ctsc and I don't think it's heavy at all.

I have the power grip 2 on my car. The pedal feel is super heavy and the engagement range is super narrow. I really like the instantaneous feeling it provides relative to the sponge-y Accord-like OEM clutch. I'm guessing you have the pg1 which is supposedly not as heavy feeling.

I have about 70,000 miles on my pg2 clutch and it's still not slipping.

Last edited:
I did a review of the OSGiken clutch in my build thread if anyone is interested. I still think it exceeds all other clutches by a mile. It doesn't even really compare in my book. They are amazing. You just gotta get over the noise and it's extra cost for you 6spd guys to swap input shafts which is a deal breaker. Might want to check if maybe they came out with an 6sod model.

i should also add Exedy to the list of the clutches I'd consider for my NSX. Just be careful which model Exedy you choose. You can go from mild to wild and be unhappy.

I did a review of the OSGiken clutch in my build thread if anyone is interested. I still think it exceeds all other clutches by a mile. It doesn't even really compare in my book. They are amazing. You just gotta get over the noise and it's extra cost for you 6spd guys to swap input shafts which is a deal breaker. Might want to check if maybe they came out with an 6sod model.

i should also add Exedy to the list of the clutches I'd consider for my NSX. Just be careful which model Exedy you choose. You can go from mild to wild and be unhappy.
I wonder how the new Exedy that has just been released will compare to the OS Giken, did I read somewhere that WPC Trearment of some of the clutch plates reduced the noise somewhat in the OS G?

Regan,

What is the cost for a OSGiken plus the extended shaft?

Clutch is not expensive. Maybe $1500.

Rebuild the tranny for a new input shaft + labor for install? Who knows... Ask around. $4k?

Yes, that cost is prohibited for me since I just dropped a ton of money on a Brembo BBK and a bunch of other mods.

I think I will go with the CT Powergrip 1 clutch.

Last edited:
Yes, that cost is prohibited for me since I just dropped a ton of money on a Brembo BBK and a bunch of other mods.

I think I will go with the CT Powergrip 1 clutch.

I just found out that the CompTech Powergrip clutch is no longer available. Now I'm thinking of the Exedy. Regan, what other parts do I need to install an Excedy clutch on my 97? Also, which clutch model is the best one for my engine HP and occasional track use?

Thanks

Back