• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Clutch Recommendation

I recently installed a OSG LSD into my 5 speed and can really feel a difference.
One thing to note is even if you WPC the clutch plates/cone springs/final drive gear you'll most likely end up with a bit of chatter during low speeds turns, not super annoying but its apparent.

That's funny Regan!

I'm getting a quote on the OS Giken LSD. However, my source stated that the 4.4 final drive is not available, but he will do more research. I think I'm going to break into my piggy bank and get the OSG LSD installed since the trans needs to be opened up. I'll also have the internals checked out and replaced if necessary. Then, I'm going stop making mods for a while.

I'm not sure yet as to whom I will hire to do the work. However, I will call John M. to see what he anticipates the cost would be.
If you install the OSG LSD I highly recommend Jon Martin or Nick @ Applied Motorsports do the install ONLY. That's something that requires tuning and overall proper installation.

I personally do not like the 4.44 gearset but I have two friends who really love it. Again, it's a personal decision based on your driving style, driving skill, and what types of roads you enjoy driving your car on. The shortest i'd ever go, personally speaking, is 4.23 which is the Type R. With my CTSC I really like the standard JDM short gears with my stock (aka "tall") 4.06 Final Drive which is essentially the same 1-4 gear ratios as the 6spd. So it's comparable to your setup in this way.

Please don't cheap out on the install here. Just saying... OSG LSDs require the proper attention upon install. (Also, Billy's article has a minor error in the reassembly. Ask us how we know...)

- - - Updated - - -

I recently installed a OSG LSD into my 5 speed and can really feel a difference.
One thing to note is even if you WPC the clutch plates/cone springs/final drive gear you'll most likely end up with a bit of chatter during low speeds turns, not super annoying but its apparent.
I'm jealous!!!

Did you get the 1.5?

I agree with Regan about the 4.23 when I looked into this. The 4.4 is too aggressive and I heard tales of them grenading trannys. Better keep it oem!

I'm jealous!!!

Did you get the 1.5?

Yea I installed a 1.5 way with the jdm gears at the same time.

Regan is right- look for somebody who has experience installing a OSG LSD, everything I read said it can be pretty tricky to install.

OK, I just found out that the OSG 4.4 drive is not available. So, I'm going to stay with the OSG LDS with the OEM set-up.

Thanks, I will limit the install to Nick or John only.

Last edited:
Can anyone recommend a person in Southern California to install a new SOS clutch into my 91 Stock NSX? SOS labor rates are pretty cheap ($500 for installation) but I don't want to have to trailer my NSX to Arizona, if there is someone here in So. Cal that can do it for less then Acura dealer rates.

Can anyone recommend a person in Southern California to install a new SOS clutch into my 91 Stock NSX? SOS labor rates are pretty cheap ($500 for installation) but I don't want to have to trailer my NSX to Arizona, if there is someone here in So. Cal that can do it for less then Acura dealer rates.

Ramon at Niguel Motors in Laguna Niguel. However, he is extremely busy right now and will likely remain so up to NSXPO.

http://www.niguelmotors.com/

- - - Updated - - -

If you install the OSG LSD I highly recommend Jon Martin or Nick @ Applied Motorsports do the install ONLY. That's something that requires tuning and overall proper installation.

I personally do not like the 4.44 gearset but I have two friends who really love it. Again, it's a personal decision based on your driving style, driving skill, and what types of roads you enjoy driving your car on. The shortest i'd ever go, personally speaking, is 4.23 which is the Type R. With my CTSC I really like the standard JDM short gears with my stock (aka "tall") 4.06 Final Drive which is essentially the same 1-4 gear ratios as the 6spd. So it's comparable to your setup in this way.

Please don't cheap out on the install here. Just saying... OSG LSDs require the proper attention upon install. (Also, Billy's article has a minor error in the reassembly. Ask us how we know...)

- - - Updated - - -

I'm jealous!!!

Did you get the 1.5?

OK I ordered the OSG LSD and it will get here in about 4 weeks. I'll keeo you all posted.

Regan, please don't give me any more ideas! I'm plum out of money. My parents are probably turning in their graves on how much of my inheritance I have spent on my NSX LOL

Last edited:
Do any of you guys have video of this so called clutch chatter? I have never experienced it. Or at least I do not think I have... I'd love to go giken down the road as I always hear great things about it but I also don't want noise that is overbearing.

just installed my OSG LSD 4.4 I got Nick @applied to put it all together and shipped over here he had it WPC treated it is whining at 100kph or 60mph which I think is just the treatment bedding in other than that its fine and what a difference that gearing makes, cant wait till the first track outing next Tuesday afternoon.

I hav Oem now and it's light as a feather on the pedal but you can never feel it grab, it's spongy, and won't hold a high rpm launch with my ctsc.

My NA2 is naturally aspirated and I have the same complaints. It has a new OEM clutch, installed by Hendrick Acura and was just check by Greg at Crown Acura and said its the way it should be. Are higher RPM launches not possible with OEM clutch on NA2s?

- - - Updated - - -

Fast forward to my OEM clutch with a ctsc on 7 psi max boost. The clutch has no bite to it. I never feel when it grips, when the wheels spin, it immediately hits the limiter with poor transfer to the wheels.
Lastly, if I dump it and launch the car, it wreaks of clutch material for half a day later. Overall, in my personal experience, the ct clutch was buckets of fun. The Oem clutch, feels like a civic. Just my two cents. It's all a personal preference.

I just wish I knew Shad prior to replacing my ct clutch with Oem at a Acura dealer for 3400 bucks. What a rip off! I remember picking up the car, starting it, and feeling as if my clutch cylinder had failed because the pedal went to the freakin floor with the easiest of effort. A far cry from the ct. I say, if its your D.D. go Oem, if it's your weekend warrior, go ct or comparable replacement all the way!:cool:

Perfectly stated except for the boost - lots of clutch odor, not hooking up unless I keep the revs under 2500 and little to no pedal pressure.

Can I get some insight on this? Should I take it to somebody else or is this the best I can expect from the OEM clutch?

Last edited:
My NA2 is naturally aspirated and I have the same complaints. It has a new OEM clutch, installed by Hendrick Acura and was just check by Greg at Crown Acura and said its the way it should be. Are higher RPM launches not possible with OEM clutch on NA2s?

- - - Updated - - -

Perfectly stated except for the boost - lots of clutch odor, not hooking up unless I keep the revs under 2500 and little to no pedal pressure.

Can I get some insight on this? Should I take it to somebody else or is this the best I can expect from the OEM clutch?
There is a clutch damper on the Oem clutch which actually creates most of the spongyness. I'm not sure if NA2 has it or not, may only be for the twin disk NA1 but according to some guys I talked to, doing the SOS clutch damper delete mod cures a lot of the wet sponge feel. The CT power grip comes with the damper delete and switches to a single disk. I sure miss that clutch. Made the car more muscle car "ish" rather than the civic type power the Oem feels like now.

There is a clutch damper on the Oem clutch which actually creates most of the spongyness. I'm not sure if NA2 has it or not, may only be for the twin disk NA1 but according to some guys I talked to, doing the SOS clutch damper delete mod cures a lot of the wet sponge feel. The CT power grip comes with the damper delete and switches to a single disk. I sure miss that clutch. Made the car more muscle car "ish" rather than the civic type power the Oem feels like now.

Correct. The NSX-R deleted the damper for a more direct clutch feel. The damper originally was installed to provide a more comfortable daily driving experience as part of the NSX's "everyday supercar" ethos.

A note on the final drive ratio. On the 5-speed, even the 4.23 from the NSX-R is buzzy. Highway cruising will be loud and with poor mpg, since the car will be over 3,000 rpm in 5th. The 4.23 is really more of a track car mod in the 5-speed and, in my opinion, renders the car unusable as a daily commuter. I went with the JDM gear stack and stock 4.06 rear end. I found this combo to be great in all conditions. The gear selection was almost perfect for every turn at my track, I picked up some more torque through 2-3-4, and I kept the long 5th for the highway. That said, the 4.23 is awesome for the 6-speed. :D

I have a 5 speed JDM turbo with 550rwhp. My RPS twin carbon clutch is wearing out and needs replacement. I am thinking of getting OSG STR clutch. Can it handle the power?

OK great thanks for the input just a couple of clarifications first of all does that apply NA2 cars and number two will that allow a high rpm launch without slipping?

According to the clutch master cylinder parts break down on the oem Acura parts diagram, a 2002 has a damper. Part number 22 in this diagram. You should pick up a delete kit from SOS.
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0144.jpg
    IMG_0144.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 848
Hello, I have spoken to a few owners that have had 1991 NSXs, and they mentioned that the OEM clutch does tend to wear out somewhat easily.
I am considering replacing the clutch on my 1991 JDM NSX, while it is in a shop getting a lot of other maintenance work done.
it appears that many people have been happy with the OS Giken R2C. I do not intend to add much power, and am mostly interested in a good quality clutch with nice longevity. With that being said, I also don't need an extreme and heavy race clutch. Does it sound like the OS Giken is still the best option to go with?
thanks group.

As a FYI for those interested. I just purchased an OEM 1991-1996 clutch (part 22000-PR7-305) from www.acurapartsforless.com on Monday, June 26, 2017. As of then, they had 12 left in stock and the staff there did confirm that they are discontinued. Get them while you can!
Also the 5NSX coupon code still works for 5% off. With the clutch release bearing (part 22810-PR8-003) the total shipped cost came in just over $1500 for me.

is that all you need for the complete clutch replacement?

how fast was the shipping?

As a FYI for those interested. I just purchased an OEM 1991-1996 clutch (part 22000-PR7-305) from www.acurapartsforless.com on Monday, June 26, 2017. As of then, they had 12 left in stock and the staff there did confirm that they are discontinued. Get them while you can!
Also the 5NSX coupon code still works for 5% off. With the clutch release bearing (part 22810-PR8-003) the total shipped cost came in just over $1500 for me.

is that all you need for the complete clutch replacement?

how fast was the shipping?

As far as I can tell, yes. I ordered the product online on Sunday, June 25th (was processed on June 26) and it got to my house by Saturday July 1st (so 1 week). It shipped from Trenton, NJ to Los Angeles, CA.

Any updates on clutch recommendations? I'm looking for a NA2 single disc clutch that can handle the high torque of my CTSC as well as high rpm launches yet maintain a light clutch pedal.

Any updates on clutch recommendations? I'm looking for a NA2 single disc clutch that can handle the high torque of my CTSC as well as high rpm launches yet maintain a light clutch pedal.

The NA2 is my favorite clutch in terms of no noise, OEM pedal pressure and engagement.

It held 430rwhp and 320rwtq with ease.

I upgraded to the SOS carbon billet clutch when the engine was built to handle more power and I bumped up the boost and did the Flex Fuel conversion.

The only issue I have is the engagement is more sudden, making uphill a challenge.

I'm very curious about this clutch: https://www.scienceofspeed.com/inde...lywheel/sport-500-hybrid-clutch-flywheel.html

Back