• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

The Unplanned NSX

I was always a Honda guy. From the start, i always wanted a s2000 and still look fondly at the many exquisitely modified examples on s2ki. Unfortunately price + insurance of the s2000 was prohibitive in Australia and i never got around to owning one. I instead settled on an Arctic blue pearl DC5R and owned that for a good number of years. I sold it to my friend, repurchased it after a little while and generally spent the biggest portion of my car enthusiast life immersing myself in everything Honda.

I eventually grew out of car modding and got into some other hobbies which took up much of my effort/attention but like anything, you can never keep a true car enthusiast away for too long. Before long i missed driving Manual and acquired a brand new BRZ and started enjoying that. I modified that car and still am modifying it to what i envision a perfect BRZ would be like. I have taken it to the track a couple of times and enjoyed driving the car. My commute to work takes 1hr each way and i purposely drive the BRZ each day so i can use the car and not garage it.

Throughout all this time, one car that i always looked at from time to time was the NSX. As a Honda boy growing up, the NSX is the epitome of what Honda does/did and maybe in a grander way the epitome of what Japanese cars can be. I never really wanted one though, that car was always the Porsche GT3.

So it was definitely a surprise when i decided to fly interstate and drive one back.

I saw the car first on an ad and never paid too much attention to it. I then visited the Australian section of NSXPrime and quickly learnt what a close knit community NSX owners are. I then found the previous owner of the vehicle and exchanged a couple of emails detailing prior history on the car. That and some research later, i booked a flight to go and see the NSX.

Ultimately long story short, i parted with my dosh and drove the car back.

First impressions of the car? My last two cars were purchased brand new so i was spoilt with pristine leather and blacker than black plastic's so i quickly learnt that a 25 yo car is not like brand new car. Still, the paint was in exceptionally good condition for the age and a quick test drive around the block revealed a very strong engine. The type that you just know will be fine to drive 1000km home on without a fuss. It was a little dusty from a little neglect but i knew that this was a rough gem that with a little bit of work, i can turn into something special.

The car has a Taitec GTLW exhaust with Taitec extractors and testpipes and the sound is GLORIOUS. On the drive home i spent unnecessary amounts of fuel just blipping the throttle and down shifting whenever and whereever. It is addictive. The car is shod with a set of CE28N genesis wheels in quite the functional width/offset and rides on a set of BC racing coilovers.

Spending 12hrs with your car reveals a lot and i have already made a list of must do's and throughout this thread, i will detail these changes. Here are the main faults with the car which i would like to address.

- Driver windows are closing slowly
- Interior is looking like it could use some refreshing. The carpets are in great condition and the genuine NSX floor mats are awesome but the door cards, speaker mesh, and seats all could be better. Very likely will have a set of bucket seats from either Bride/Recaro grace the car as the seats are strangely uncomfortable when it comes to lumbar support.
- The plastic panel that sits just underneath the steering wheel and on top of the pedals is sagging. Causing annoying rubbing and restricting full access to the clutch. Not sure how but this is something that i will want to fix ASAP.
- The car has one mechanical/electrical related issue. During the long drive home and very randomly, it would lose power for 1-2 seconds before resuming. The previous owner had some high-tech alarm system fitted with a lot of features and i am hoping that this could be the issue. I am not too worried about the engine as it was recently in for a pretty major service and it feels super strong so hoping it is just something minor with electronics.
- Brakes feel a little biteless. Not sure if it is the norm but will definitely be investigating options.
- Paint is great for the age as previously mentioned but i might take the car into my mates workshop and get him to see if it needs a few touchup's here and there

Mod wise, i haven't thought about it and i think i will be addressing all of the above before i delve any further. I would like to drive the car everywhere including commuting but also will definitely be tracking it as well.

20625356318_8d7201479f_h.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome ! Nice car, nice rims and exhaust system..
On your list you can add an 02+ rear under bumper valance. That really completes the car there. Good luck on your interior refresh :)

Nice! Was watching it on carsales :)
Didn't last long! :wink:

Congrats. The car community here is supportive as you will see. Post more photos of the interior please. Would love to see what it looks like.

Car looks soooo clean and you can't go wrong with ce28s, ever. Side profile looks like she needs a rear valance to offset the front lip.

Beautiful car & welcome to NSX ownership! Quite a few NSX owners in Sydney. A couple comments:
1. window slowness: check our website for replacement guide bushings - they come with step by step instructions for installation. I'd recommend the regulator retainers as well when you're in there.
2. loss of power: a common problem is the main relay - this could be the issue if it is not alarm wiring related (check the ignition switch wiring). If this is more hesitation: this is likely a fuel supply issue - clean and flow test injectors and replace the fuel filter. Check fuel pressure, if it does not meet factory spec, replace fuel pump (the least likely issue). This could also be a an issue with oxygen sensors if it only occurs under very low loads (but it sounds like high load only from your description, when the car is open loop).
3. brakes: bleed and replace fluid in brakes. The pads can age and may need to be replaced and the rotors resurfaced.

Good luck!

So the car is registered in my state now and i just gave her the first wash. Always a bonding session.

The car is void of any dings/dents but do have random scratches here and there. The paint however is in really good nick for the age though with typical swirls but still very vibrant shade of Formula Red. The biggest sign that this car is 25yo is in fact the perishables like the rubber seals all over the car. Those will be attended to in due time.

Here is a picture of the interior though. The previous owner added on a custom carbon steering wheel utilising the standard airbag system. I will most likely sell and move onto a NSX-R steering wheel setup in the near future. It also has a triple defi gauge setup housed in a KSP gauge hood that has being retrimmed to "look" like the rest of the interior.

I am going to move to a NSX navi pod and mount the triple gauges in there instead.

It also has a NSX-R shift boot and an advertised NSX-R shift knob but i am not sure if it is an actual NSX-R shift knob. It has a NSX-R short shift kit as well apparently.

I am currently deciding on a bunch of stuff and am tossing and turning between many different things.

I am pretty sure i will move the car to KW V3's shortly and also change the wheel setup but not sure on how i would take the exterior on the nsx.

I keep going back and forth between the pre 02 and the post 02 headlight setups and i am undecided. I like certain bits of the pre 02 but like certain bits of the 02+. I think the best part of the 02+ is the front bumper. The OEM bumper is by far one of the best bumper setups for the NSX IMO. I am also tossing between potential widebody options such as advance front fenders/route ks rear fenders but isn't any close to deciding on that. I like the stock body of the NSX for sure but if i am to take it into the bodyshop to do some refreshers and also buy a new set of wheels, now and upfront is the best time to decide what to do.

Any opinions?

If i go with the 02+ conversion, i would go with the Route KS bumper/sideskirts/rear valance setup. Effectively a type r replica look.

If i stick with the pre 02 setup i would most likely go with a RFY rear bumper + rear valance/RFY sideskirts/GT one N1 lip.

If i go with a widebody it would most likely be an advance bumper/advance front fender/advance sideskirts/route ks rear fender setup along with a taitec rear diffuser.

All very nice but all very different.

Attachments

• IMG_1932.jpg
    IMG_1932.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 256
Last edited:
Back