• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Engine Intake Grills - my take on how Honda should have made them

ENT

Contributing Member
I’ve had my NSX for a few years now and I think that Honda really “nailed it” with the car, with the exception of one thing – the engine intake grills. The OEM grills are chunky plastic pieces that just don’t seem to fit the image of the car. To make matters worse, they tend to discolor over time. They did try to change things up a bit on the 02+ cars but not enough, IMO.

When I picture a supercar, the grills I tend to think of are thin aluminum mesh that’s powder coated flat black. With that in mind, I set out to create a new set of grills for my NSX – well, here they are...

Cheers,
Ian

Attachments

• NSX Grills 1.jpg
    NSX Grills 1.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 615
  • NSX Grills 2.jpg
    NSX Grills 2.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 527
  • NSX Grills 3.jpg
    NSX Grills 3.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 545
  • NSX Grills 4.jpg
    NSX Grills 4.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 581
  • NSX Grills 5.jpg
    NSX Grills 5.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 474
Agreed. Those do look great. I'll keep your version in mind if and when it comes time to replace mine (maybe even if they don't ever need replacing).

That has done by many primers here already. Those look very nice. Good job! Since you are at it, you should also get DF intake tunnel rather using OEM one again.

That has done by many primers here already. Those look very nice. Good job! Since you are at it, you should also get DF intake tunnel rather using OEM one again.

I've seen many that have taken flat mesh and mounted it in place (some even with glue!) but I haven't seen any that are formed to match the intake shape like mine. Also, mine are powder coated, not spray painted, and make use of the stock mounting points/hardware so there's no concern about returning the car back to stock.

With that said... is there a market for grills like these? I can make more but I don't think I would bother for anything less than $175 a set.

Any interest?

Cheers,
Ian

I’ve had my NSX for a few years now and I think that Honda really “nailed it” with the car, with the exception of one thing – the engine intake grills. The OEM grills are chunky plastic pieces that just don’t seem to fit the image of the car. To make matters worse, they tend to discolor over time. They did try to change things up a bit on the 02+ cars but not enough, IMO.

When I picture a supercar, the grills I tend to think of are thin aluminum mesh that’s powder coated flat black. With that in mind, I set out to create a new set of grills for my NSX – well, here they are...

Cheers,
Ian

Hey Ian, Interesting topic to me because I've viewed many NSX's. Sometimes when the earlier model years receive 2002=newer style front fascia and I am viewing the awesome NSX, I note the earlier version of (I call them side gills) "engine intake grills." I have never considered them "chunky" or even knew the may discolor over time.

That said, I have mentioned this to a couple front and/or rear NSX face-lift owners (did not present as picky, simply noted) and I am "on-board" with your nice update! :cool:

After posting this blurb I thought it important to state that this side gill mesh was updated, certainly for 2002=newer models however I do not know exactly when this update was done - prior to 2002? I recall many un-modded 97/98 with older style mesh. Group conjecture?

Last edited:
I love it....... every customer's NSX that comes into my shop I do this but not the way you pressed it in to look more natural. I love it...

now for others if you just want the mesh look go to Home depot and get some rain gutter gaurds they are alum already painted black and easy to cut to form this mesh cover, there are 4 screws holding the original yukky grill in place so you will use those 4 screws to hold down your new mesh.

All my customers love my add-on after I show them its a free service I do for every NSX that enters my shop.

and cost of the part from home depot is............. drum roll please.......................................... 1.89

cheapest mod you can do to the NSX.

now I wonder if 02+ owers could take out the OEM mesh and press it like that or will there not be enough material to do it is the question.

great mod

With that said... is there a market for grills like these? I can make more but I don't think I would bother for anything less than $175 a set.

Any interest?

Cheers,
Ian

I'm interested. Mine are loose and rattling, I need to get in there and tighten them down. But the black plastic looks a little faded next to the paint and I like the looks of yours. "While I'm in there" to tighten them, I might as well replace them. Let me know what you decide to do.

I'm interested. Mine are loose and rattling, I need to get in there and tighten them down. But the black plastic looks a little faded next to the paint and I like the looks of yours. "While I'm in there" to tighten them, I might as well replace them. Let me know what you decide to do.

I find if you rub some 303 Aerospace Protectant on the plastic it darkens up nicely.

I believe the 1999 Zanardi NSX also had a different style intake grill. Can some Zanardi owners chime in?

You are correct -- the Zanardi's grills are mesh. The Zanardi grills are one of the first things I put on after I bought my car. I must have been crazy because I paid $370 (discounted too) from the dealership about 14 years ago.

I find if you rub some 303 Aerospace Protectant on the plastic it darkens up nicely.

Good advice, thanks! Seems like 303 the WD-40 of protectants, I see it mentioned everywhere.

If it moves and shouldn't, duct tape
If it should move and doesn't, WD-40
If it needs protecting or refreshing - 303

Just got mine yesterday, they look great! Can't wait to install them. Props Ian, very nicely done.

Are they sturdy? With the OEM units, I can press firmly on them without any noticeable flex or movement. I'd imagine this would be important to deflect rocks and debris.

Just took some pics for comparison:

Zanardi

vPAuDdr.jpg

02+

AxJiqdT.jpg

Are they sturdy? With the OEM units, I can press firmly on them without any noticeable flex or movement. I'd imagine this would be important to deflect rocks and debris.

It's hard to qualify something like sturdiness but I would have to say that they're fairly sturdy. You can push on them firmly without any noticeable flex.

If I put my fingers on the deepest section of the grill and try to push it outwards, I can use it to flex the quarter panel without having any effect on the shape of the grill.

Cheers,
Ian

I love it....... every customer's NSX that comes into my shop I do this but not the way you pressed it in to look more natural. I love it...

now for others if you just want the mesh look go to Home depot and get some rain gutter gaurds they are alum already painted black and easy to cut to form this mesh cover, there are 4 screws holding the original yukky grill in place so you will use those 4 screws to hold down your new mesh.

All my customers love my add-on after I show them its a free service I do for every NSX that enters my shop.

and cost of the part from home depot is............. drum roll please.......................................... 1.89

cheapest mod you can do to the NSX.

now I wonder if 02+ owers could take out the OEM mesh and press it like that or will there not be enough material to do it is the question.

great mod

Appreciate the thread and the info on getting a short piece of the rain gutter guards. Just did 1 side last night to try it out. Looks great. Although, it sounds like depending on the year the way the oem slit piece is held in is slightly different?

I have a 2000, and once you remove the 2 special mounting nuts and take the whole piece out. I noticed that my old vent slits were held in differently than 4 screws. On mine there were 2 screws on the inside part and on the outer side there were just 2 tabs with holes in them. The intake assembly itself had 2 posts that slid into the holes and sandwiched the vent slit piece between the car panel. So one side had screws and the other side just had a post/hole system that sandwiched it against the body to hold it in place. But looks pretty solid and doesn't move when I push on it with finger. Didn't bother using any epoxy, wanted to see if it moved or rattled any before taking that step.

It seems that I may have captured some sort of optical illusion in the pics I posted at the start of the thread - one person thought that they were inverted (pointing outwards instead of into the wheel well), another thought that they were flat.

In any event, I've sold my NSX and I'm debating as to whether to keep the molds for these grills. Would there be any interest at a $125 US shipped price point? What about different colors?

Cheers,
Ian

I have to speak up and give Ian big props for these. I bought a set last year and just had them installed during my major rebuild over the last 4 months. Pix are in my rebuild thread here:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/195408-My-rebuild

I think they really improve the look of the car and make the side intakes look like real scoops, not blocked off holes in the side. Now, if only I had waited 'til this price drop... :tongue:

Back