• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

I need Rio Yellow Pearl Help

I have a 97 Spa Yellow Pearl NSX. I had some after market parts installed and I needed them to be painted. I took my car to a reputable paint shop here in LA to have the work done. When I got the car back, the newly painted parts did not match the original paint color. The newly painted parts were darker. To me the newly painted parts appeared to be Rio Yellow Pearl. So, I took my car to a fellow NSXer who has a Rio Yellow Pear NSX. The color on his car match the color of the newly painted parts on my car. He even gave me a part that used to be to be on his car so that I could make a closer comparison, and to me the his part and my newly painted parts were a close match.

So, I took my car and the part from the Rio Yellow Pearl NSX to my paint shop shop. Naturally, the paint shop began making all kinds of excuses. They showed me the color swatch and paint mix for Spa Yellow Pearl including the paint code. But, their swatch matched the Rio Yellow Pearl part that I provided them. So, we then proceeded to look at the color codes for Spa Yellow Pear (Y-52P) and Rio Yellow Pearl (Y-56Y). When the paint shop manager pulled up the specifications for the Rio Yellow Pearl color, he said that this color was a two stage paint (color coat and clear coat.) He stated that the Spa Yellow Pearl color was a three stage process (color paint, pearl coat and clear coat). So he was insinuating that the color that they used on my car was a three stage paint. So, it could not have been Rio Yellow Pearl. I told the manager that I did not care what rational he was using in that it was very obvious that the paint they used did not match Spa Yellow Pearl and actually match Rio Yellow Pearl. After a while, I believe the manager eventually agreed that the paint that was used was closer in color to Rio Yellow Pearl than Spa Yellow Pearl. He is now going to contact his paint suppler.

So, my question is, has anyone out there who has a Rio Yellow Pearl NSX had their car painted, and do you known if Rio Yellow Pearl is a two stage paint or a three stage paint. I want to try and refute their color stage excuse if I can. However, my best argument is that the color they used, no mater what code it was or whether it is a three stage color or a two stage color, is not the issue. The issue is that the color they used does not come close to Spa Yellow Pearl. And, therefore, they need to repaint the parts to make it right, and I should not have to pay for this re-work.

Does anyone out there have car painting experience that can provide me with ammunition if I have to fight with the paint shop to make things right? I really want to avoid going to small claims court!

Sorry for the long story, but I wanted to get out all the information I have on this matter.

Thanks,

Last edited:
I have a 97 Spa Yellow Pearl NSX. I had some after market parts installed and I needed them to be painted. I took my car to a reputable paint shop here in LA to have the work done. When I got the car back, the newly painted parts did not match the original paint color. The newly painted parts were darker. To me the newly painted parts appeared to be Rio Yellow Pearl. So, I took my car to a fellow NSXer who has a Rio Yellow Pear NSX. The color on his car match the color of the newly painted parts on my car. He even gave me a part that used to be to be on his car so that I could make a closer comparison, and to me the his part and my newly painted parts were a close match.

So, I took my car and the part from the Rio Yellow Pearl NSX to my paint shop shop. Naturally, the paint shop began making all kinds of excuses. They showed me the color swatch and paint mix for Spa Yellow Pearl including the paint code. But, their swatch matched the Rio Yellow Pearl part that I provided them. So, we then proceeded to look at the color codes for Spa Yellow Pear (Y-52P) and Rio Yellow Pearl (Y-56Y). When the paint shop manager pulled up the specifications for the Rio Yellow Pearl color, he said that this color was a two stage paint (color coat and clear coat.) He stated that the Spa Yellow Pearl color was a three stage process (color paint, pearl coat and clear coat). So he was insinuating that the color that they used on my car was a three stage paint. So, it could not have been Rio Yellow Pearl. I told the manager that I did not care what rational he was using in that it was very obvious that the paint they used did not match Spa Yellow Pearl and actually match Rio Yellow Pearl. After a while, I believe the manager eventually agreed that the paint that was used was closer in color to Rio Yellow Pearl than Spa Yellow Pearl. He is now going to contact his paint suppler.

So, my question is, has anyone out there who has a Rio Yellow Pearl NSX had their car painted, and do you known if Rio Yellow Pearl is a two stage paint or a three stage paint. I want to try and refute their color stage excuse if I can. However, my best argument is that the color they used, no mater what code it was or whether it is a three stage color or a two stage color, is not the issue. The issue is that the color they used does not come close to Spa Yellow Pearl. And, therefore, they need to repaint the parts to make it right, and I should not have to pay for this re-work.

Does anyone out there have car painting experience that can provide me with ammunition if I have to fight with the paint shop to make things right? I really want to avoid going to small claims court!

Sorry for the long story, but I wanted to get out all the information I have on this matter.

Thanks,
Reach out to Joe of Pbasso fame. He's the man when it comes to NSX body and repair. No one knows more about pain on our cars than Joe

OK, the paint shop is finally saying what I want to hear "we will make things right, don't worry Mr. Cano" The paint shop is having a paint expert from their paint supply company coming into their shop on Monday. I will be getting the car back next Friday or Monday. I have my fingers crossed!

Oh, I sure hope so. You need to be there daily to make sure it is the right color. Stay on them and get it done right. Best of luck and looking forward to you driving that gorgeous Spa Yellow Pearl car again.

Oh, I sure hope so. You need to be there daily to make sure it is the right color. Stay on them and get it done right. Best of luck and looking forward to you driving that gorgeous Spa Yellow Pearl car again.

I hope so too! I feel better now that they are bringing in a paint expert from their paint supplier. We will see!

PS: I have a present for you from Scotland. I forgot to give it too you last weekend. I'll give it to you in two weeks.

Both Spa/Rio are pearl paints. Any paint codes ending with a P are pearl paint. Having said that what condition is your paint in, if it's faded or not been detailed properly the paint will appear duller/flat compared to new paint.

Be sure to check for variants of the paint codes, as paint did under go slight variances over time. If buying paint or mixing yourself be sure to also use the 11th digit/letter in VIN, after the vehicles paint code. For example:

Silver NH623M - (11th digit) NH623M-(T).

Most paint codes have variants, a redder flop or greener flop, blue and so on. Similar to hues within colors.

Both Spa/Rio are pearl paints. Any paint codes ending with a P are pearl paint. Having said that what condition is your paint in, if it's faded or not been detailed properly the paint will appear duller/flat compared to new paint.

Be sure to check for variants of the paint codes, as paint did under go slight variances over time. If buying paint or mixing yourself be sure to also use the 11th digit/letter in VIN, after the vehicles paint code. For example:

Silver NH623M - (11th digit) NH623M-(T).

Most paint codes have variants, a redder flop or greener flop, blue and so on. Similar to hues within colors.

This is new and interesting information. The 11th digit of my vin is "T". What does the "T" mean when it concerns my paint color?

I spoke with Joe (a very experienced NSX body repair and painter in New York). He also mentioned "flop", which I recall is how paint reflects light. Joe said that tinting needs to be done with the base coat. I'm not why that is were you do your tinting.

As for my paint condition, I think it is pretty good condition, it still shines well.

Thanks for help!

Last edited:
I have a scratch on my NSX it could be fixed but it doesn't bother me to break sweat over it.

I keep driving it and the scratch is not noticed from inside the car at high speeds.

I received an email from the paint shop and they said that with the help of the paint supplier's experts help they have have come up with a test panel that matches the color of my car.

So , it looks like we are moving in the right direction. I'm looking forward to seeing the results of the new paint work.

I'll keep you posted!

OK, the paint shop asked me to come in to look at color match for the parts that they have painted so far. It looks like they finally were able to get the right formula and made the necessary adjustment in that I could not tell the difference from the new paint and the original paint. There were a few parts missing parts from the car, so I have not yet seen the finished product. But, I feel a whole lot better now. I'll post some PIC's when I get the car back.

I picked up my car yesterday, and finally they were able to match the original paint. The car looks good. The only area where there appears to be a slight color difference is between the trunk and the adjacent side panels. However, the difference may not be in color but in light reflectance due to them being on different planes. I'll post pics later.

Last edited:
Back