• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Valve Adjustment for an 07 Pilot

Okay, so after finding out that Honda still builds engines that require valve adjustments, I have gotten over that part, but am a little miffed:

I found out about the engine needing valve adjustments when I went to the dealer for routine maintenance. The service writer said that at 105K they do the valves. Anyway, the service light came on the other day, so I looked up the code. In the owner's manual, it says to only do the valve adjustment if the valves are noisy. There is no provision for mileage, etc.

I mentioned this to the service writer. His reply was that "by the time they're making noise, they're 'WAY' out of adjustment" and he implied that after 100K it's "mandatory."

Dealerships have always left a bad impression with me, and now it seems like the Honda dealer (at least, the local one) is going to be added to my list.

The owner's manual doesn't seem to say that valves "require" adjustment, though they are listed as needing to be inspected. My issue is that I get the feeling that if I leave my car there, they're going to pop the valve covers, "check" for adjustment, and charge me the full cost of the adjustment whether they do the work or not. I get this feeling because the owner's manual contradicts what the service writer is telling me and because I've had dealers try to swindle me out of an entire car before (hoping to sell me one off their lot), among other tactics of a low ethical nature.

What are you all's thoughts on this? Get the valves "adjusted" or no? I also fear that if I tell them not to do it, then they will sabotage my car which will force me to bring it in for a bigger service that could have been "prevented" by getting the valves done (yes, I've been though this type of thing, too).

Valves being loose and noisy isn't as much of a concern as the valves being too tight. Most people adjust the valves at the time of doing the timing belt and water pump if they haven't done them previously.

If the dealer actually remove the valve cover and check the valve spec. The actual adjustment part only adds little time to the job. You will be charged the full amount to have someone to actually physically to check it rather than the audible inspection. Typically 3-4 hours of labor plus new valve cover gaskets. since you have to remove the valve covers. It is wise to put new gaskets on them. If you don't trust the dealer for the actual work, perhaps a new repair facility should be seek out. I usually ask the clients to have a second opinion on recommended work and stay with a shop that they trust. HTH.

Valves being loose and noisy isn't as much of a concern as the valves being too tight. Most people adjust the valves at the time of doing the timing belt and water pump if they haven't done them previously.

I had the 90K service done... I'll have to look at the paperwork for it to see if that was done. My primary issue is the sense of dishonesty I get. Could just be my experiences, but Honda says plain as day "only if noisy."

If the dealer actually remove the valve cover and check the valve spec. The actual adjustment part only adds little time to the job. You will be charged the full amount to have someone to actually physically to check it rather than the audible inspection. Typically 3-4 hours of labor plus new valve cover gaskets. since you have to remove the valve covers. It is wise to put new gaskets on them. If you don't trust the dealer for the actual work, perhaps a new repair facility should be seek out. I usually ask the clients to have a second opinion on recommended work and stay with a shop that they trust. HTH.

Well, they quoted me $560 for the valve job. Not a super big deal, but still enough to make me have to re-plan my finances for the next several weeks. I might try the other dealer in the next town where I used to take my car.

Back